Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I doubt that as you call it "a minor facelift" will be what we get. I'm looking for major improvements in IQ, AF, Buffer Capacity and write speed, Better High ISO performance, articulated rear screen and keeping the basic ergonomics of the K-3/K-3II which are superb. They can stay at a 24 mp sensor as far as I'm concerned. I've never handled a KP but the front E-Dial looks way too awkward for my tastes. An added selector dial on top would be fine, ala, K-1.

I have my money ready right now and I think it will be my last camera purchase!
My point was that hurrying the camera would have resulted in a "minor face-lift" ..... doing it right will take time.

08-10-2018, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #482
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My point was that hurrying the camera would have resulted in a "minor face-lift" ..... doing it right will take time.
Well what is your predicted time frame????? Three years from now? Two years from now? One year from now? It seems to me that I recall several cameras being introduced since I bought my K-3 in 2014. I believe Ricoh-Pentax can walk and chew gum at the same time.
08-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #483
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A system that could read our minds would be great.
I'm not sure that this capability would be a good idea...

But a wider diopter adjustment is probably a good idea. Maybe I'm too stupid to use varifocals in combination with the K-5II finder, but the least struggle for me is to try it with the naked eye and guess the least blurriness, in particular with MF lenses or in night scenes, where the AF guesses too.

Edit: wider means a bigger adjustment range, in particular beyond -2.5m-1

E.

Last edited by bofh; 08-11-2018 at 02:32 PM.
08-11-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #484
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well what is your predicted time frame????? Three years from now? Two years from now? One year from now? It seems to me that I recall several cameras being introduced since I bought my K-3 in 2014. I believe Ricoh-Pentax can walk and chew gum at the same time.
We're not the only ones woundering when the next flagship apsc is coming, look at Canon, they released their 7D Mark II in 2014 and I'm sure Canon users are woundering when it'll be updated.

08-11-2018, 03:50 PM - 3 Likes   #485
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When it's ready.
08-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
When it's ready.
Mark, I'll buy that. My rub is with all the people who "seem" to know the when, where, how and if of the K-3II replacement. I've got plenty of time to wait and plenty of shutter actuations left on my trusty K-3. It gets rather annoying hearing that poor old Pentax can only do one thing at a time thus my "walk and chew gum" comment.
08-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #487
Pentaxian

Mark, I'll buy that. My rub is with all the people who "seem" to know the when, where, how and if of the K-3II replacement. I've got plenty of time to wait and plenty of shutter actuations left on my trusty K-3. It gets rather annoying hearing that poor old Pentax can only do one thing at a time thus my "walk and chew gum" comment.
What I "know" is
* providing anything other than a "face lift" will take time
* Pentax hasn't released a new design yet - and i'm fairly confident they aren't "sitting" on one
* Pentax has said a K-3 followup is coming
* Pentax hasn't released two new designs "on top of" each other - pattern fits serial development ... team working on one design at a time

08-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #488
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My thoughts exactly....
08-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #489
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
My thoughts exactly....
The problem is there seem to be a certain number of people who want to "update" every few years, who aren't interested in using the same camera year-after-year, but they don't want just a face-lift. My original point was that Pentax will deliver a genuine update when the technology is ready. I don't know when that will be, but I am quite certain that time has not yet come, because Pentax has not yet delivered it.

Considering how the K-1ii was received, if that is all Pentax had ready to go, there would have been no point to releasing a K-3iii at the same time.
08-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #490
Veteran Member

It's approaching 5 years since I recieved my K-3, I have been in the pattern of updating every second iteration or so. K10D->K7->K3 (and a K-01) so I am more than ready for a new camera. I have to say the K-3's noise performance seems like a place I could definitely stand to have improved. I would also like to see 4K video now. That would be enough to prompt me. Why not a K-1 then? I prefer smaller cameras and even find the K-3 and a couple lenses too heavy for some situations.
08-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #491
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not wanting a new crop sensor dslr, so no dog in this fight.
After reading through this thread from the beginning and looking at the history of dslr production and discontinuation dates.
My question is not "when is the new crop dslr body coming out".
The question I have is "when are they going to discontinue the K3II" ?

With the K1's, KP, K70 and K3II still in production it may be all we see for quite a while.
They may focus on lenses for now.

Just thinking out loud.

Clarence
08-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #492
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
My question is not "when is the new crop dslr body coming out".
The question I have is "when are they going to discontinue the K3II" ?

With the K1's, KP, K70 and K3II still in production it may be all we see for quite a while.
They may focus on lenses for now.

Just thinking out loud.

Clarence
Well, this is the thing. We can't get the K3ii anymore in Europe. It isn't available in any of the major stores!

If you went for K1, or if you got yourself a K3ii in time - OR if you have a K3 and is more careful with your equipment than I am, then maybe impatience seems out of place. My two K3 bodies are well worn, and I am not terribly good at handling my gear carefully, and frankly I am beginning to wonder what my options will be by the time one of them fails.

No K3ii in store at:
wex.co.uk
srsmicrosystems.co.uk
fotolooman.nl
08-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MetteHHH;

Now that is very disconcerting.
Just went to Ricoh/Europe and no K3II even listed, was not doubting you but had to check for myself.
Are there other parts of the world with selective camera body sales ?
I guess I am just out of the loop.
Figured anything Pentax was available all over the world, guess not.

Clarence
08-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's strange to discontinue the K-3ii so far out from a replacement - raises all sorts of unanswerable questions - hopefully there will be some sort of announcement next Feb (if not before). I'm not in the market for it myself unless my lucky number comes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with
08-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #495
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Well, this is the thing. We can't get the K3ii anymore in Europe. It isn't available in any of the major stores!

If you went for K1, or if you got yourself a K3ii in time - OR if you have a K3 and is more careful with your equipment than I am, then maybe impatience seems out of place. My two K3 bodies are well worn, and I am not terribly good at handling my gear carefully, and frankly I am beginning to wonder what my options will be by the time one of them fails.

No K3ii in store at:
wex.co.uk
srsmicrosystems.co.uk
fotolooman.nl
You just have to look for stores that have a history of having old stock on many things.

Audiophil in Germany and Fotokonijnenberg in the Netherlands have things others just sold sometimes years before. In packages, but wen you call you can mostly come to an agreement.
AudiophilFoto - Ihr Partner wenn Sie Profis suchen! | Shop | Kameras | Pentax
Pentax K-3 II + 16-50mm F2.8 + 50-135mm F2.8

Audiophil even has a new old stock K-5 Silver from 2011.
Closed Thread