Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DSLRs since mid year 2015

I just did a cursory check and since mid-year 2015 Pentax has introduced 5 new DSLRs, three APS-C and two Full Frame cameras. So who says they can't do it? That works out to a new DSLR every 6 months or so. Granted two were just "face-lifts" but two were not so minor the K-70 and the KP. If you go back to the beginning of 2015 you can include the K-S2 for a total of 6 DSLRs. My conclusion is that it will be earlier rather than later for the K-3II replacement.

08-12-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #497
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
MetteHHH;

Now that is very disconcerting.
Just went to Ricoh/Europe and no K3II even listed, was not doubting you but had to check for myself.
Are there other parts of the world with selective camera body sales ?
I guess I am just out of the loop.
Figured anything Pentax was available all over the world, guess not.

Clarence
I could be wrong but I think the K-3II is out of production as of now. I believe it was discontinued when the K-1II was introduced.

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
08-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #498

Well let us hope that there is concrete Pentax news at Photokina.

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 12:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's strange to discontinue the K-3ii so far out from a replacement - raises all sorts of unanswerable questions - hopefully there will be some sort of announcement next Feb (if not before). I'm not in the market for it myself unless my lucky number comes up, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with
Good point.
08-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Well let us hope that there is concrete Pentax news at Photokina.
I'd wager there will be lenses at Photokina. And K-1ii cameras. And a KP or two. But I'd be hugely surprised if they have a new DSLR to show - this year.

08-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #500
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I could be wrong but I think the K-3II is out of production as of now. I believe it was discontinued when the K-1II was introduced.
You know that you can find information on the internet that dates back to the K3II being discontinued in Jan. of 2017.
Who knows, it is the freaking internet.

Up to you if you want a K3II or not while they are still available.

Good luck;
Clarence
08-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #501
Pentaxian

My conclusion is that it will be earlier rather than later for the K-3II replacement.
I agree with Mark.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
When it's ready.
08-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #502
Pentaxian

IMHO, Pentax discontinued production once the K-1 was available, since IMHO the K-1 was intended to be the new "flagship"; a new production run didn't make sense because they didn't want to get stuck with extra inventory (*), so IMHO, they're "making do" until whenever the replacement camera is available.

(*) this would argue for a replacement soon, but I do not know anything as a fact.

08-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #503

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd wager there will be lenses at Photokina. And K-1ii cameras. And a KP or two. But I'd be hugely surprised if they have a new DSLR to show - this year.
Although I would like to see the K-3 ii replacement soon, I guess we will see instead the new Ricoh GR camera in the upcoming Photokina.
08-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problem is there seem to be a certain number of people who want to "update" every few years, who aren't interested in using the same camera year-after-year, but they don't want just a face-lift.
Define face-lift? Is that something like building a K-30 and then a little while later building a K-50?

My original point was that Pentax will deliver a genuine update when the technology is ready. I don't know when that will be, but I am quite certain that time has not yet come, because Pentax has not yet delivered it.
Considering how the K-1ii was received, if that is all Pentax had ready to go, there would have been no point to releasing a K-3iii at the same time.
08-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMHO, Pentax discontinued production once the K-1 was available, since IMHO the K-1 was intended to be the new "flagship"; a new production run didn't make sense because they didn't want to get stuck with extra inventory (*), so IMHO, they're "making do" until whenever the replacement camera is available.

(*) this would argue for a replacement soon, but I do not know anything as a fact.
I would argue that it will be sooner rather than later.

IMHO, since the K-1 introduction a K-3II replacement was never considered the Pentax Flagship. Who in the heck said that? All I'm talking about is the logical progression of the APS-C High end DSLR which is definitely NOT the KP, as good as the KP is it can't carry the water in the APS-C DSLR world as the Pentax APS-C High end camera (or APS-C Flagship).

A nice chart of Pentax Introduced DSLR time line can be found here Pentax K-5 II - Wikipedia scroll down to the Pentax digital interchangeable lens camera timeline (comparison) section and open it.

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-12-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: changed reference
08-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #506
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well Photokina isn't a very important show for Pentax, so anything new and important, we would see at CP+ in Japan, early 2019.
08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #507
Pentaxian

Define face-lift? Is that something like building a K-30 and then a little while later building a K-50?
I am using language as it is typically used here. I heard the word "face lift" a lot after the K-3ii was introduced. I heard the word "face lift" a lot after the K-1ii was introduced.
08-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #508
Pentaxian

I would argue that it will be sooner rather than later.

IMHO, since the K-1 introduction a K-3II replacement was never considered the Pentax Flagship. Who in the heck said that?
I am using language as it is typically used here.The word "Flagship" is used a lot in discussions like this. Personally. I tend to use the phrase "K-3 followup".
08-12-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #509
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well Photokina isn't a very important show for Pentax, so anything new and important, we would see at CP+ in Japan, early 2019.
I agree Ron. But I'll be surprised if we see it even then. It would be nice to, but I'm not holding my breath.

At 2018 CP+ Ricoh's Takashi Arai, of the Product Planning Department, Product Development Center, Ricoh's Smart Vision Business Group said:
"We have lots of requests for lenses, especially from K-1 users. They want more lenses that match the higher resolution of the K-1, so that’s one objective which we would like to implement."
Lenses are, in my view, their current focus.

Then, he answered this when asked about mirrorless:
"Our resources for research and development are limited and we are more focused on the development of K-series bodies and lenses. That is our first priority, and why we are currently not too involved in the development of other smaller cameras."
He touched on the reasons for the KP:
"PENTAX has a long history of producing high performance yet compact and light-weight cameras. For example, the Limited lens line is a unique series that customers take great pleasure in owning. We wanted to produce a quality compact body that can be a good match for the Limited series lenses. Target users include those who are looking for a K-1 alternative, those looking to step up from entry models, and those who have been hesitant to pick up a new camera due to its size factor so far."
And, he commented specifically about the development of the K-3ii's successor:

"For the flagship APS-C model, we have just started to develop that. It’ll be the successor of the K-3 II and will be an evolution of the K-3 series." (Bold and underlined by me.)[/I]
He also said:
"Compactness and quickness are advantages of the APS-C format compared to full-frame. We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages."
08-12-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well darn, Ron, what has gotten in to you lately? No Negativity! That's the time frame in which I think we will see the K-3II replacement!
Closed Thread