Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #556

I'm putting off fujifilm until i see what Pentax is offering in APS-C . I'm guessing mid to late march 2019 Pentax will have decided to reveal something.

08-20-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #557
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tellwill Quote
Today only very good feature rich cameras get sold... since if you only want a quick snapshot... smartphone will do excellent and is always there...
That's why Huawei have been caught two times using DSLR photographs for showing examples of images taken with their phones, for advertising how good is image quality of their phones... Then you get people looking at Huawei Ads "wow, that photo taken with a Huawei phone is fantastic", and once they own the mobile phone there is no "Wow" effect anymore. Phones deliver image quality similar to former compact camera with the smallest sensors, and that's no even close to what the cheapest second hand entry level DSLR can do. There's no secret, the sensor tech used in phones is the same as the sensor tech used in cameras, except the sensors fitted in DSLR and now full frame mirrorless now are a lot larger (the same mobile sensor thing tiled into an array).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-20-2018 at 08:09 AM.
08-20-2018, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #558
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's why Huawei have been caught two times using DSLR photographs for showing examples of images taken with their phones, for advertising how good is image quality of their phones... Then you get people looking at Huawei Ads "wow, that photo taken with a Huawei phone is fantastic", and once they own the mobile phone there is no "Wow" effect anymore. Phones deliver image quality similar to former compact camera with the smallest sensors, and that's no even close to what the cheapest second hand entry level DSLR can do. There's no secret, the sensor tech used in phones is the same as the sensor tech used in cameras, except the sensors fitted in DSLR and now full frame mirrorless now are a lot larger (the same mobile sensor thing tiled into an array).
Smart phones often can do better than other small-sensor cameras, because their prodigious computing power allows all kinds of manipulation, such as noise reduction. For routine photos they do well, but so much of what we do isn't "routine".
08-20-2018, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
I'm putting off fujifilm until i see what Pentax is offering in APS-C . I'm guessing mid to late march 2019 Pentax will have decided to reveal something.
Before you consider moving to Fuji, note the following:
1. Their lens mount coupling is the flimsiest I have used or seen on any ILC system. Easy to break off their cheaper lenses and develop or encounter noticeable movement with lenses and adapters. (have done and experienced both!).
2. Only their most expensive body has IS built in.
3. Lenses and better bodies are expensive.
4. Only their best lenses and bodies are weather-sealed.
5. Missing features like astro-tracer, pixelshift, etc.
6. Worse battery life even that the KP's L109 battery.
7. Only top models have movable screens. LV back screen for many models is hard to see in sunlight.
8. AF less than state of the art and not top notch for sports or wildlife capture
9. Only top models good or O.K. for video capture.
10. X-trans colors, capture, and textures not to everyone's taste.

That said, there are many things I like about the Fuji system - best of all is the ever expanding array of lightweight cameras and lenses, intuitive controls for us old film guys, etc. I was able to purchase the E-2 years ago for a great price, thinking I might want to move to that system, but after using the camera, missing IS, lack of weather-sealing on both cameras and lenses (wanted the 10-24mm to be my main lens, but passed on it due to lack of sealing!), and the flimsy lens mounting system, I decided to pass and try to expand my Pentax aps-c system instead, but with not much luck with that either, since I have been waiting for way too long for a new, sealed, ultra-wide zoom and K3II replacement and upgrade.

Final note, have not had the chance or opportunity to try the two latest, top of the line Fuji cameras, to see if any of my shortcomings or omissions have been resolved or addressed...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 08-20-2018 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
08-20-2018, 02:54 PM - 4 Likes   #560
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tellwill Quote
Wow, that would add a second UHS-I SD-slot...wow(sarcasm)...
sincerely hope there is more to it than just that...
otherwise we would drop below 4% share again. (bet on that)
bye forum.
I've left this post in place, as it's a perfect example of the "dive bomb" type - taking a swing (in conjunction, on this occasion, with several in other threads), then publicly saying goodbye. Does that mean goodbye for good, or just for a short period?

We get these from time-to-time, usually from a very small number of new members, and I really do wonder at the purpose. If they're intended to cause a stir or whip up negative feeling, they always fail. Beyond a few immediate responses we all know they have zero impact on our community. Maybe it's different on other forums? I honestly don't know...

If the poster is dissatisfied with his Pentax equipment for some reason, I sympathise, and generally hope they'll stick around and learn that we're not blindly loyal to the brand here... We all know there are some things that could be improved, and that Pentax doesn't compete in size and sales with the biggest brands. But we are, when all's said and done, a community of Pentax enthusiasts, which should be fairly obvious given the website URL...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
08-20-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #561
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've left this post in place, as it's a perfect example of the "dive bomb" type - taking a swing (in conjunction, on this occasion, with several in other threads), then publicly saying goodbye. Does that mean goodbye for good, or just for a short period?

We get these from time-to-time, usually from a very small number of new members, and I really do wonder at the purpose. If they're intended to cause a stir or whip up negative feeling, they always fail. Beyond a few immediate responses we all know they have zero impact on our community. Maybe it's different on other forums? I honestly don't know...

If the poster is dissatisfied with his Pentax equipment for some reason, I sympathise, and generally hope they'll stick around and learn that we're not blindly loyal to the brand here... We all know there are some things that could be improved, and that Pentax doesn't compete in size and sales with the biggest brands. But we are, when all's said and done, a community of Pentax enthusiasts, which should be fairly obvious given the website URL...
Hi Mike, I have followed the post and agree leave it in, basically it shows more ignorance than anything else, with all the features in just about all makes of cameras these days it is virtually impossible to use them all so I dont get the gripe, could be lying about having PENTAX cameras and just looking for an instant of {sic} fame whatever his beef he seems to be gone good riddance but it raised a bit of blood pressure here, haha, anyhow keep up the good stuff and laugh at the rest, regards Ian
08-20-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
OK, so the KP isn't meant to be the flagship (and reading about it, the "plastic" nature of the camera seems to back this up). So maybe an APS-C body that combines the features of the K1 and KP?
Who is saying it is plastic? Feels like an ingot to me, even with the polycarbonate coating on the Magnesium frame. Very different from my K-50 in solidity.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 07:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

You should have banned him in his initial post just for being a jerk. If he stays around I won't care since I was going to Boris Cleto him after that last post.

08-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #563
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Who is saying it is plastic? Feels like an ingot to me, even with the polycarbonate coating on the Magnesium frame. Very different from my K-50 in solidity.
The user reviews in the forum.

Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I've never handled one myself, so I can only go by others who owned it saying that it wasn't as solid as the K5 or K3. My personal experience is with the K200D, K7, K5iis and K3.
08-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #564
Veteran Member

I've never handled one myself, so I can only go by others who owned it saying that it wasn't as solid as the K5 or K3. My personal experience is with the K200D, K7, K5iis and K3.
I see 2 9's for build quality or else 10s. It is a ten for me, especially compared to ANY bridge camera you might pick up at a big box store and definitely a cut above the K-50. The smaller form factor might come into play from K-3 users, but I don't know a thing about K-5s or K-7s.
08-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #565
Pentaxian

The staff review says "The Pentax KP feels solid in the hand as the body is made of magnesium alloy on top of a stainless steel chassis. The top plate and prism house, though, is polycarbonate, but that doesn't take anything away from the overall impression of a sturdy camera"
08-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Smart phones often can do better than other small-sensor cameras, because their prodigious computing power allows all kinds of manipulation, such as noise reduction. For routine photos they do well, but so much of what we do isn't "routine".
Not only that, but being paired with a single lens means you can correct for the lens deficiencies to a degree that's impractical with ILC.

I don't know about modern smartphones, but I've always found that smaller sensor cameras are also set up with aggressive sharpening so they'll have more pop.
08-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well from all current technologie Pentax uses, only the accelerator wasn't in the K-3ii. So to make something to stand out and make a difference Ricoh-Imaging needs to come up with some newly developed tech.
You're forgetting about the enhancements to IS, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

Certainly new tech would be welcome. There seems to be slight incremental improvements to AF with every release.

I suppose so, but the withdrawal of the APS-C "flagship" suggests to me that a replacement shouldn't be too far away. My past experience was that the current model would be discounted heavily, disappear from sale, then the new model released. If a new model was made with all the innovations from the K1 but with an APS-C sensor, would that satisfy people?
I'm still holding to the theory that the K-1 was intended to be the upgrade for the K-3 II, and that Pentax felt everybody would want FF as a very desirable feature. They were unprepared for the demand for an APS-C flagship and thus got a late start.

Last edited by Mark Ransom; 08-20-2018 at 09:17 PM.
08-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #568
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
You're forgetting about the enhancements to IS, and probably other things I'm forgetting.
You are right. The 5-axis stabilisation came later then K-3ii. There is a need for a lot more development to make it a new top tier aps-c camera.
08-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Pentax felt everybody would want FF as a very desirable feature.
The 36Mp and slow frame rate of the K1 was intentional to create the need for a new apsc fragship. But Ricoh Imaging have assigned a lot of resources to Theta (just as an example, Theta wireless image sync work very well, while it is really a pain on K1). For the K1, they've reused the K3 platform and they've even delayed the introduction of the K1, that is to say how little resources they have for DSLRs. For the next apsc flagship may take a while if they decide to redo the AF system to be comparable to a D500, there is a lot of engineering involved: faster system servo, faster burst rate, bigger buffer, faster image processing engine, new memoery card tech, new interface to memory cards, plus they may make it mirrorless to make it easier to reach higher frame rate: my guess is that the camera electronics / software team for Pentax cameras you can count them on your fingers, that means they need more than 30 months total to engineer a new model and qualify it ready to market. So, maybe 2019...maybe teasing in 2019 and release in 2020.
08-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The 36Mp and slow frame rate of the K1 was intentional to create the need for a new apsc fragship. But Ricoh Imaging have assigned a lot of resources to Theta (just as an example, Theta wireless image sync work very well, while it is really a pain on K1). For the K1, they've reused the K3 platform and they've even delayed the introduction of the K1, that is to say how little resources they have for DSLRs. For the next apsc flagship may take a while if they decide to redo the AF system to be comparable to a D500, there is a lot of engineering involved: faster system servo, faster burst rate, bigger buffer, faster image processing engine, new memoery card tech, new interface to memory cards, plus they may make it mirrorless to make it easier to reach higher frame rate: my guess is that the camera electronics / software team for Pentax cameras you can count them on your fingers, that means they need more than 30 months total to engineer a new model and qualify it ready to market. So, maybe 2019...maybe teasing in 2019 and release in 2020.
Wise opinion, K3 platform is indeed old so that would mean a brand new product using K1/KP innovations plus some more I suppose.
But a release in 2020 would be a failure with a lot of missed sales, time to market is also an important variable in this case.
Closed Thread