Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #586

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
I feel the AF on my KP is far better than the one on my K3ii.

But I'm missing the inside GPS, I often have to change the battery, and some times I have to wait 5-6s the data written on the card, not even doing rafales (but taking fast photos ok) !
As a nature/landscape guy, having a build in GPS is number 1 feature I am expecting in the future flagship. I don't care about the flash, I never used it on my previous bodies. If they could add flash + GPS that's fine, but I would be very disapointed and I won't buy the K-3III if it don't have a GPS.

There is already a lot of available technologies that would be appreciated in a K-3III without spending time in R&D:

tilt screen,
SRII,
wifi,
5 user modes in a dial,
better NR,
better AF,
tethering,
more processing power,
electronic shutter,
compatibility with Ricoh SDK, etc...

A 20mpxl sensor instead of 24mpxl would be fine too if that could improve ISO a little more for wildlife (such as in D500).

08-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #587
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So...?
So, there you have it: a DSLR with more than 36MP and faster frame rates (9 with the optional grip).
08-21-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #588
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
As a nature/landscape guy, having a build in GPS is number 1 feature I am expecting in the future flagship. I don't care about the flash, I never used it on my previous bodies. If they could add flash + GPS that's fine, but I would be very disapointed and I won't buy the K-3III if it don't have a GPS.

There is already a lot of available technologies that would be appreciated in a K-3III without spending time in R&D:

tilt screen,
SRII,
wifi,
5 user modes in a dial,
better NR,
better AF,
tethering,
more processing power,
electronic shutter,
compatibility with Ricoh SDK, etc...

A 20mpxl sensor instead of 24mpxl would be fine too if that could improve ISO a little more for wildlife (such as in D500).
I spent most of the last years of my career in R&D projects. I can tell you from experience that "just integrating" {putting together pieces that already exist} is a major R&D effort.
08-21-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So, there you have it: a DSLR with more than 36MP and faster frame rates (9 with the optional grip).
What processor do they use? Is that processor available to Pentax?
And you already noted that it takes the extra "juice" from the optional grip.

added:
Honestly, I've heard people here say that fps is one of those bragging "macho" things - Pentax may be of the same opinion

08-21-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Man, 40 pages. My K3 is already a great camera. I'd love to have the same thing, but with the KP processor, it doesn't really need anything else.
08-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #591

I spent most of the last years of my career in R&D projects. I can tell you from experience that "just integrating" {putting together pieces that already exist} is a major R&D effort.
You right, and I know, but that's what Pentax was doing for years, and until now, they released many DSLRs and lenses per year, each one with up to date technologies. So they can do it
08-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #592
Pentaxian

I would like it to have this "quick release" grip that was patented some time ago.

08-21-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

added:
Honestly, I've heard people here say that fps is one of those bragging "macho" things - Pentax may be of the same opinion
I was shooting some waterskiing last weekend with my K3. On high FPS mode, I already have so many keepers, more isn't necessary (IMO) unless you like reviewing zillions of photos (I do not).
08-21-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
No stress. I am mainly just upping the post count so we can have more K-1 winners. But complaining about what Ricoh does is just silly..
Not to mention making the 10 post minimum, which I think I just did!
08-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #595
Pentaxian

What processor do they use? Is that processor available to Pentax?
And you already noted that it takes the extra "juice" from the optional grip.
The thing is, DSLRs are not limited to lower performance processors; so Pentax isn't either.
Now if we're talking about the PRIME IV specifically, yeah, that would need to be upgraded. But I have a hard time believing there's no faster option available, than this older Milbeaut.

Actually I'd say that Ricoh has no option but to upgrade the PRIME processor - not to be in line with the best, but to keep up. Who knows, maybe the new APS-C flagship takes so much time because of this.

L.E. The Accelerator Unit might need a boost as well - its introduction slightly affects the K-1 II's APS-C mode frame rate.
08-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #596
Pentaxian

You right, and I know, but that's what Pentax was doing for years, and until now, they released many DSLRs and lenses per year, each one with up to date technologies. So they can do it
The could .... but what is the point?? At one time, digital technology was changing faster, and so a faster release rate made sense. But today, this year people were complaining that the K-1ii was a "face lift". that they questioned the value of another camera so soon, echoing what had been said earlier about the K-3ii. People have all these dreams of what a K-3 replacement could be, but I'm not sure Pentax is ready to deliver that.
08-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Not to mention making the 10 post minimum, which I think I just did!
That is a low goal - like making a K-3 replacement that differs from the K-3ii only by having burst rate 1 fps faster.
Your eligibility for a "raffle" means nothing if we don't also reach 45,000 posts, which is very questionable right now - we need a posting rate a few percent higher than we've been doing for your eligibility to mean anything.
08-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #598
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
5 user modes in a dial,
Even with 3 user modes I would appreciate being able to label each one ("macro", "birds in flight", etc.)
08-21-2018, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #599
Pentaxian

The thing is, DSLRs are not limited to lower performance processors; so Pentax isn't either.
Now if we're talking about the PRIME IV specifically, yeah, that would need to be upgraded. But I have a hard time believing there's no faster option available, than this older Milbeaut.

Actually I'd say that Ricoh has no option but to upgrade the PRIME processor - not to be in line with the best, but to keep up. Who knows, maybe the new APS-C flagship takes so much time because of this.

L.E. The Accelerator Unit might need a boost as well - its introduction slightly affects the K-1 II's APS-C mode frame rate.
Then we basically agree - and my main point is that this takes more time to do than to talk about.
I remember many days as a Software Engineer struggling with "one last thing" after another during integration .... each piece worked separately, but tiny issues prevented them from working together, and we often didn't know where the problem lay. Software Engineers and Electrical Engineers spend many hours trying decide the most basic question, whose side of the fence is this issue on.
08-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #600
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Pentax may be locked into the Milbeaut simply because they can't afford to rewrite the camera firmware for a new processor. If there's no upgrade available that would be very unfortunate; it means they backed the wrong horse when they picked a processor however many years ago.
Closed Thread