Already discontinued???
No, sold out.

08-24-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #692
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
This thing has really stirred up the forum. For our sake, I hope it's true. Maybe this will undoom Pentax.
Undoom? Never! Beimg doomed is part of the brand identity.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Adorama employee just messing with us? :^D
An Adorama employee poking fun at the angry pentaxians.
08-24-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #693
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
No, sold out.
Announced, sold out, then discontinued all in less than a day lol
08-24-2018, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #694
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Announced, sold out, then discontinued all in less than a day lol
Pentax is obviously working on the MkII model already... So we should see the price drop for remaining stocks of the old version

08-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #695
Pentaxian

Honestly, the KP was an interesting move. ASP-C flagship guts in a scaled down body and feature set. If they have no R&D money and no ambition (on account o' being doomed and all) they could produce a K3iii with the improvements introduced, tested, and firmwared in the KP. No brainer, unless their plans are bigger than that.

An ASP-C flagship release is in the wind for this year, so why is this so tough to believe? Granted, this is a botched marketing release at best, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing there. I'm sort of in need right now, so I'd like to believe.
08-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #696
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Granted, this is a botched marketing release at best,
No evidence that that is the case here, I suspect someone learning the web system accidentally put up the placeholder.
08-24-2018, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #697
Veteran Member

Honestly, the KP was an interesting move. ASP-C flagship guts in a scaled down body and feature set. If they have no R&D money and no ambition (on account o' being doomed and all) they could produce a K3iii with the improvements introduced, tested, and firmwared in the KP. No brainer, unless their plans are bigger than that.

An ASP-C flagship release is in the wind for this year, so why is this so tough to believe? Granted, this is a botched marketing release at best, but that doesn't mean that there is nothing there. I'm sort of in need right now, so I'd like to believe.
Can you imagine how skewered they'd get if all they offered was a warmed-over K-3 II after all this time? It would have been exactly what I was looking for personally, but a lot of people would question their sanity. At this point it's years too late for that, they have to really step up their game now.

08-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Can you imagine how skewered they'd get if all they offered was a warmed-over K-3 II after all this time? It would have been exactly what I was looking for personally, but a lot of people would question their sanity. At this point it's years too late for that, they have to really step up their game now.
Well, I get that they're going to get skewered, because we do that. In fact they can count on it. We're stubbornly committed to this brand, despite market share and all indicators (I am), but as a group, we are hostile to them as we are loyal.

But, I'm not so sure. I'm frustrated that right now, we all know that they can built a better ASP-C camera, because they've done it already. But, they haven't packaged it and made it available in the flagship form factor. Why would I buy a K3, knowing that the KP is a better camera? But, the KP is not the flagship, they've said that too. It was built to be a retro-travel camera and they crushed it, but if you like the K7/K5/K3 form factor, and frame rate and want to stick with it, you have to settle at this point for inferior image quality.

So, scenarios:

1) The ship is sinking and we're all going down. - I doubt it, I've been hearing that for years and they've put out some great stuff while that was being said. But, even in this scenario, take a K3 body and release it with the KP sensor, AF, Stabilization bits and end on a high note. It wouldn't cost them much to do so and even if they announced their demise, it would probably only increase sales of both it and the remaining KP and K1 stock.

2) They've got some game-changer scheduled, but it's not ready...same as above, they can already build a better K3, just release it and then change the game when they're ready.

3) R&D has dried up, the company is still going, but they're focused on lenses and trying to get their **** together and they know that we hate them, though we're fiercely loyal...quick, give them a K3 with the upgrades from the KP while we're working on a plan.

4) They have something better and it's imminent...so, we wait.
08-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #699
Veteran Member

but as a group, we are hostile to them as we are loyal.
I don't see that from reading a lot of posts and commenting a lot over the past 15 months. Most of the antipathy seems to come from a small percentage of Senior members, Pentaxians and trolls who sign up to troll, most of the naysayers, do not even own or shoot Pentax any more.
I admit there are some folks who post here who do shoot Pentax who sound a bit jaded but after Hoya gutted the company, I think most folks here know that we are lucky Pentax still exists and makes its great IQ, quirky cameras.
08-24-2018, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I don't see that from reading a lot of posts and commenting a lot over the past 15 months. Most of the antipathy seems to come from a small percentage of Senior members, Pentaxians and trolls who sign up to troll, most of the naysayers, do not even own or shoot Pentax any more.
I admit there are some folks who post here who do shoot Pentax who sound a bit jaded but after Hoya gutted the company, I think most folks here know that we are lucky Pentax still exists and makes its great IQ, quirky cameras.
Yep - I just don't understand the naysayers at times. I love the Pentax system and the backwards compatibility of the system. I also appreciate the way Pentax has innovated, and hopefully, continues to innovate in the future. Speaking as an amateur photographer, we need a quality camera company keeping the mainstream / mass marketed camera companies in check.
08-24-2018, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #701
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
And now it is gone from the Adorama site...
That's ok. Now we're doomed again. Doesn't really matter. After 4 years being with Pentax, I've been doomed. As long as the K-mount is alive, I'll just keep myself doomed.
08-25-2018, 01:04 AM   #702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RJDavis-OK Quote
Yep - I just don't understand the naysayers at times. I love the Pentax system and the backwards compatibility of the system. I also appreciate the way Pentax has innovated, and hopefully, continues to innovate in the future. Speaking as an amateur photographer, we need a quality camera company keeping the mainstream / mass marketed camera companies in check.
Agree with you on this.
08-25-2018, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #703
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RJDavis-OK Quote
Yep. To me Pentax is pretty much the poor mans Hasselblad, which isn't a bad/negative thing.
While Pentax's DSLR's may not be speed demons compared to some of Canon, Nikon, & Sony's offerings the last couple years (e.g. D500), but what they lack in some area's they punch above their weight in others, and even have options built-in camera that you would have to pay extra for (e.g. astrotracer)
08-25-2018, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #704
Pentaxian

This thread shows that there would somehow be a strong demand for a new fast K3II successor. Slow K1 has created the need for a quick camera with better AF.
08-25-2018, 04:06 AM   #705
pxt

After few month use K3 II is for me good current stage APS-C. Sometimes for frog shoot position tilt screen will be helpful, but is not necessary. Only AF have to be improve to be only better. Extreme fast, better than Canon and Nikon and Pentax will be start making real alternative. For some people AF is simply too slow.
Closed Thread