Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #811
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1.Worse tracking AF (much worse). 2. Weak battery. 3. No SD card and second card slot. 4. Smaller buffer. 5. Less fps.
I think you misunderstood. I wasn't asking how the Nikon Z cameras were less capable than their DSLRs, I was questioning why they would feel the need to make them so. What could they possibly be afraid of? The only thing I can think of is that they want to snag that subset of loyal early adopters then make them purchase upgrades in a year or two. That strategy will backfire if it means the cameras aren't taken seriously.

08-27-2018, 09:41 AM - 2 Likes   #812
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Why would Nikon be afraid of competing with their DSLRs? That makes no sense - a camera sale is a camera sale. Especially when it brings the possibility of more lens sales.
A camera sale may be a camera sale but the real challenge is recouping all the investments in designing both lines of cameras and lenses.

In the worst case, Nikon's MILC offering decimates their DSLR sales if DSLR buyers think that the Z6/Z7 is a sign that Nikon is abandoning DSLRs. Total camera sales could drop and Nikon would lose big time.

In the simple cannibalization case, Nikon loses DSLR sales in direct proportion to its MILC sales. Any profits made on MILC are offset by losses on DSLRs. Total camera sales don't change but having double the R&D costs to support two lines makes MILC a net money loser.

In the non-cannibalization case, Nikon's DSLR remain steady and the MILC sales add profits and repay all the investments in MILC development. Total camera sales go up although MILC only makes money if they go up enough.

In the best case, photographers are thrilled that Nikon offers decent cameras of both types so that both DSLR and MILC sales grow. Total camera sales go way up and Nikon makes a lot more money.

Of course, all four scenarios will happen at the level of camera buyers. Some potential DSLR buyers will be turned off by Nikon's MILC moves, some potential Nikon DSLR buyers will switch to Nikon MILC, some new MILC buyers will join the Nikon tribe, and some enthusiasts will buy both MILCs and DSLRs. The bottom line is that Nikon MILCs will only make make money for the company to the extent they bring sufficient volume of new sales to Nikon (taking sales away from Sony, Canon, etc.) rather than people substituting a Nikon MILC for Nikon DSLR.

I'm sure Nikon executives are biting their nails over which of these scenarios will come to pass because the first two scenarios definitely lose money for Nikon.
08-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #813
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
A camera sale may be a camera sale but the real challenge is recouping all the investments in designing both lines of cameras and lenses.
The danger of not recouping investments exists no matter what. If somebody decides to get a Sony rather than a Nikon, how does that recoup the investment?

You should never be afraid to compete with yourself, because others won't be so shy. Sony is certainly going to take advantage, and it will be interesting to see what Canon does next.
08-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #814
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1.Worse tracking AF (much worse). 2. Weak battery. 3. No SD card and second card slot. 4. Smaller buffer. 5. Less fps.
People are talking too much about card slots. At another Photography Forum where I'm a regular, no Nikon user has come forward to say he's has trouble with XQD - they think adding an SD slot would be like adding belt loops to pants which already have suspender buttons.

08-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
People are talking too much about card slots. At another Photography Forum where I'm a regular, no Nikon user has come forward to say he's has trouble with XQD - they think adding an SD slot would be like adding belt loops to pants which already have suspender buttons.
I know which other Photography Forum you are referring to and they are absolutely in love with Canikon so of course they would not be critical of Nikon.
08-27-2018, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #816
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I know which other Photography Forum you are referring to and they are absolutely in love with Canikon so of course they would not be critical of Nikon.
No, I am quite certain Nikon users would have honestly questioned this choice if they had any reservations about reliability.

Last edited by reh321; 08-27-2018 at 11:17 AM.
08-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #817
Pentaxian

To me, the amazing thing is that Nikon is willing to put their future in the hands of Sony who has the patent on this memory device and is the only reliable producer of them right now.

08-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #818
ogl
Banned

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't asking how the Nikon Z cameras were less capable than their DSLRs, I was questioning why they would feel the need to make them so. What could they possibly be afraid of? The only thing I can think of is that they want to snag that subset of loyal early adopters then make them purchase upgrades in a year or two. That strategy will backfire if it means the cameras aren't taken seriously.
I understood you very good and it was my answer. You don't understand?
To make weaker camera not to compete with D5, D750, D850.

Last edited by ogl; 08-27-2018 at 12:29 PM.
08-27-2018, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #819
ogl
Banned

XQD is very expensive. And it's unreal to buy such card in any electronic store or small shop. D850 has 2 slots - SDHC/SDXC and XQD.

It's some kind of trick. The video bitrate of new camera is not high. XQD cards are pure commercial move. SDHC and SDXC card could be enough.
UHS-III bus interface provides 312 MB/s or 624 MB/s, UHS-II - 156 MB/s or 312 MB/s. XQD provides from 125 till 500 MB/s.

90 Mb/s min. speed SDXC cards are enough for 8K video files at 60/120 fps.

SD is very inexpensive and available practically everywhere, and plugs directly into any laptop without the need for a separate card reader.
You can travel almost anywhere in the world and buy an extra SD card if I need it.
08-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #820
ogl
Banned

You should never be afraid to compete with yourself, because others won't be so shy. .
Remember Nikon 1? The strategy of Nikon is so strange and mixed, that it's hard to say anything about Z-mount's future now...

Sony's lines of cameras are clear and considered.

Last edited by ogl; 08-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
08-27-2018, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #821
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ken Rockwell has already stated that multiple cards are not necessary, sort of on the same path as saying that shooting RAW is a waste of time.
08-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #822
Forum Member

Pentax *ist D is very simple name. I've explained it already.
It's also confusing and nearly unpronounceable to the uninitiated. "Asterisk-ist D?" That's a really bad idea for marketing and branding!
08-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #823
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XQD is very expensive. And it's unreal to buy such card in any electronic store or small shop. D850 has 2 slots - SDHC/SDXC and XQD.

It's some kind of trick. The video bitrate of new camera is not high. XQD cards are pure commercial move. SDHC and SDXC card could be enough.
UHS-III bus interface provides 312 MB/s or 624 MB/s, UHS-II - 156 MB/s or 312 MB/s. XQD provides from 125 till 500 MB/s.

90 Mb/s min. speed SDXC cards are enough for 8K video files at 60/120 fps.

SD is very inexpensive and available practically everywhere, and plugs directly into any laptop without the need for a separate card reader.
You can travel almost anywhere in the world and buy an extra SD card if I need it.
Excellent points! I know nothing about the XQD card but lack of readily available cards would certainly turn me off. If its Sony, remember BetaMax, not a great idea.
08-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #824
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
It's also confusing and nearly unpronounceable to the uninitiated. "Asterisk-ist D?" That's a really bad idea for marketing and branding!
Why? It was that Pentax DSLR with the weird name....sort of a marketing ploy.
08-27-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #825
Veteran Member

Excellent points! I know nothing about the XQD card but lack of readily available cards would certainly turn me off. If its Sony, remember BetaMax, not a great idea.
If it's Sony, remember Memory Stick, an even worse idea. Many of their early cameras would have sold much better if they had only supported standard cards.
Closed Thread