Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #826
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
If it's Sony, remember Memory Stick, an even worse idea. Many of their early cameras would have sold much better if they had only supported standard cards.
I forgot about that one.

08-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #827
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The danger of not recouping investments exists no matter what. If somebody decides to get a Sony rather than a Nikon, how does that recoup the investment?You should never be afraid to compete with yourself, because others won't be so shy. Sony is certainly going to take advantage, and it will be interesting to see what Canon does next.
That's because you believe that the camera market is not segmented, but somehow it is segmented (ref. to market segmentation). Anyway, customers shouldn't substitute themselves to business execs, the role of a customer (for cameras) is to buy cameras and take photographs.
08-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #828
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The danger of not recouping investments exists no matter what. If somebody decides to get a Sony rather than a Nikon, how does that recoup the investment?

You should never be afraid to compete with yourself, because others won't be so shy. Sony is certainly going to take advantage, and it will be interesting to see what Canon does next.
Competing with oneself does not make any money unless the new product is either really cheap to develop (a good MILC and lens portfolio isn't that cheap) or has really high profit margins (unclear with the more costly electronics inside MILCs). If Nikon MILCs only steal marketshare from Nikon DSLR, they've lost. Nikon only wins if they steal market share from Sony, Canon, etc.

Done wrong, Nikon will lose more money on the Z6 and Z7 than if they just let Sony win a few sales.
08-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last couple of times i have gone into Henry's I've checked out the A7II. 1799 cad with the 24-70 kit lens, its a pretty decent piece of kit. Its hard to see a K3 III being able to compete. Sony has the market saturated. Maybe the the next top level apsc cam will be even cheaper than the last.

08-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #830
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Competing with oneself does not make any money unless the new product is either really cheap to develop (a good MILC and lens portfolio isn't that cheap) or has really high profit margins (unclear with the more costly electronics inside MILCs). If Nikon MILCs only steal marketshare from Nikon DSLR, they've lost. Nikon only wins if they steal market share from Sony, Canon, etc.

Done wrong, Nikon will lose more money on the Z6 and Z7 than if they just let Sony win a few sales.
Why would Nikon's mirrorless line be developed with lower margins than their DSLR line? That seems like an unreasonable assumption to me.
08-27-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
The last couple of times i have gone into Henry's I've checked out the A7II. 1799 cad with the 24-70 kit lens, its a pretty decent piece of kit. Its hard to see a K3 III being able to compete. Sony has the market saturated. Maybe the the next top level apsc cam will be even cheaper than the last.
The K3 outcompetes it as the Sony lack a decent viewfinder.
08-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #832
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K3 outcompetes it as the Sony lack a decent viewfinder.
That's your opinion.
Sales totals show that others disagree.

08-27-2018, 05:10 PM - 3 Likes   #833
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That's your opinion.
Majority opinion have given us lots of things we don't need or want. Just because many people might be buying, does not mean what they're selling is better.
08-27-2018, 05:13 PM - 4 Likes   #834
Pentaxian

Some people prefer Sony and I get that. They make a good product and it is tempting. Happy that the people who want them are able to buy them.

I would not be happy with the cost or options on lenses and I can't warm up to a EVF.

They're making a good product and it appeals to a good market, but it's Pentax for me.
08-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
K-3.14 (pi number) is great. With K-2.72 (e-number) to follow. And K- 1.41 (square root of 2) is not bad. And there are a lot more of math and physics constants to choose from.

P.S. Copyright belongs to @lsimpkins
Yes, going with the physics, "K-ν" would be a good choice, where the second letter is the Greek small letter nu. Nu, being the frequency of light, and also sounding exactly like "new", there could be lots of fun with that name.
08-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #836
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Yes, going with the physics, "K-ν" would be a good choice, where the second letter is the Greek small letter nu. Nu, being the frequency of light, and also sounding exactly like "new", there could be lots of fun with that name.
So would a K-nu be like a Gnu?
08-27-2018, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That's your opinion.
You totally missed what he said, its not that Sony doesn't sell more its that the optical viewfinder is better than the Sony EVF.
08-27-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #838
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Majority opinion have given us lots of things we don't need or want. Just because many people might be buying, does not mean what they're selling is better.
Totally AGREE!!
08-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And in this case either could be either. All I wanted was an IMHO acknowledgement.
08-27-2018, 07:12 PM - 2 Likes   #840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You totally missed what he said, its not that Sony doesn't sell more its that the optical viewfinder is better than the Sony EVF.
That is exactly what I thought he was claiming. It is His Humble Opinion that OVF is better than EVF. My point was that some people have the opposite opinion. I have not come to hold an opinion myself - I see benefit to both.

Last edited by reh321; 08-27-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Closed Thread