Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #991
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Or make people move to other platforms. As someone over 60 years old, one eventually decides that time is running out - both for new bodies and lenses. In my case, if a replacement is not on the horizon by 2019, along with availability of the 11-18mm, I will bite the bullet and go with either a Nikon Z with 14-30mm, or a Canon or Fuji equivalent. Final decision all depends on DR, resolution, weight, and price, but actual availability will be paramount!
From what the reviews have said, I doubt that the new Z is a solution, unless it is a solution for what to do when you have too much money and can't figure out what to spend it on!

09-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #992
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K3ii replacement has been a while. I was calling for a mirrorless more than a year ago, to which people said was wishful thinking (see the first page to this thread). Now the Nikon Z is out and today we have videos of leaked images of the Conon R mirrorless.

No kidding that mirrorless was the way forward. I sort of doubted that Pentax would go mirrorless because of all the new dslr lens releases. Now that the Z and R are coming Pentax has got to get a move on. Hopefully the reason for the long wait for lenses meant that they were moving to mirrorless.

Either way, I'm a fan of Pentax IQ and IBIS.

Come-on Pentax mirrorless camera .....bring it on!

Last edited by zoolander; 09-01-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling
09-01-2018, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #993
Pentaxian

Pentax doesn't have to do it just because the others are.

What is the value of a Pentax mirrorless, if it is not K-Mount, which is certainly would not be? Better to buy Sony if you have to start over with new lenses.
09-02-2018, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #994
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
As someone over 60 years old, one eventually decides that time is running out
I suspect that the age demographics of Pentax users outside of Japan are a lot more 'advanced' that their core user base in Japan - they certainly don't seem to take the remaining life expectancy of their European and American user base into consideration in their delivery cycles

09-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #995
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Pentax doesn't have to do it just because the others are.

What is the value of a Pentax mirrorless, if it is not K-Mount, which is certainly would not be? Better to buy Sony if you have to start over with new lenses.
I believe you are right. If the K-01 became successful, there would've been other models. As others have said here, there some technicalities which the current lens mount isn't fit for mirrorless. And if Pentax decides to go to mirrorless, it will be a new mount to maximize its use. But who knows maybe future technology will make things possible.
09-02-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #996
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
if Pentax decides to go to mirrorless
I definitely need a leek

there has been so many leeks lately
09-02-2018, 04:54 AM   #997
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I definitely need a leek
Here's a more fitting image (OK, video):

09-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #998
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a catchy tune, no idea what it is saying though
09-02-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #999
Pentaxian

Pentax has been an innovative brand. I hope for some disruptive innovations that will shake the camera market.
09-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #1000

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
a catchy tune, no idea what it is saying though
I can help you with that. It's 95% phonetic gibberish and part of a Finnish folk song. The song itself has actual lyrics, however, there is a segment that is sung as improv gibberish (expectation is that it's each performer does it differently).
09-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #1001
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
gibberish
no worries, gibberish it is then
09-02-2018, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1002
Pentaxian

Gibberish and leeks, sounds like a new camera rumor
09-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #1003
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Pentax has been an innovative brand. I hope for some disruptive innovations that will shake the camera market.
I don't know if everything is too bound up with patents these days or whether Pentax is too small for the big boys to bother about, but recent innovations haven't made much of a splash - there was a fair bit of press excitement about the AA-simulator in the press, but nobody followed suit - since then more curiosity than excitement, as I see it. But it's easy to forget with all the current broo ha ha about other stuff that you're right - Pentax have always innovated - we need to remember that.
09-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #1004
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't know if everything is too bound up with patents these days or whether Pentax is too small for the big boys to bother about, but recent innovations haven't made much of a splash - there was a fair bit of press excitement about the AA-simulator in the press, but nobody followed suit - since then more curiosity than excitement, as I see it. But it's easy to forget with all the current broo ha ha about other stuff that you're right - Pentax have always innovated - we need to remember that.
Have been innovated many years ago. If you say about pixel-shift or AA-simulator, the first one is rather special thing for static objects first of all, the second - useless thing.
09-02-2018, 07:04 AM - 4 Likes   #1005
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
In my opinion coming out with a KP II would be the biggest mistake they could make. Everybody waiting for a true K-3 II replacement would just give up at that point.
As a K-3 II user I'd much rather they produce a KP II (if it includes GPS) when/if sensor tech makes a significant leap. I'd even prefer ditching the tilt screen and going more minimalist as long as IQ improves. There's an assumption that mega blaster is the way to go and that more is better just because people on forums are spec hunters. I'm not sure forums are a good place to understand what sells.

The idea that a da* lens requires a high fps big grip camera is imho misguided. The 11-18 will work just fine on the KP! The flagship concept is just weird.
Closed Thread