Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1051
Pentaxian

I can not understand why you're so worried about Pentax not getting into ML now. Do you remember the delay in the transition from film to digital or that for the production of an FF? PENTAX is doomed but is still here and will stay there

09-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #1052
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I can not understand why you're so worried about Pentax not getting into ML now. Do you remember the delay in the transition from film to digital or that for the production of an FF? PENTAX is doomed but is still here and will stay there
Every chance mishandled weakens the brand. I'm 70, so they may have already manufactured my last camera, but I still have affection for the brand.
09-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #1053

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think a K-mount camera that resembles an LX is feasible, but it would help to keep the dimensions down if it were mirrorless like the K-01.
I don't think it would help all that much. The K-mount comes with a set distance between the mount flange and the sensor. The extra space digital cameras need compared to analog cameras (assuming we retain the K mount) is what is around/behind the sensor (IBIS motors and logic boards) and the screen. These are the same for DSLRs and MILCs. A mirrorless K-mount camera would always have a huge amount of wasted space between the sensor and the flange.
09-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #1054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
I don't think it would help all that much. The K-mount comes with a set distance between the mount flange and the sensor. The extra space digital cameras need compared to analog cameras (assuming we retain the K mount) is what is around/behind the sensor (IBIS motors and logic boards) and the screen. These are the same for DSLRs and MILCs. A mirrorless K-mount camera would always have a huge amount of wasted space between the sensor and the flange.
So what? Even if they waste that space, a camera the size of a 1980's camera would be much smaller and less awkward than any modern DSLR with same size sensor.

09-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #1055

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So what? Even if they waste that space, a camera the size of a 1980's camera would be much smaller and less awkward than any modern DSLR with same size sensor.
Earlier on in the thread I argued that a digital camera has to be deeper than an old film camera by at least the space required for the rear screen and the IBIS mechanism. So a true film-like camera size is not doable without giving up on those features. I'd be very happy if we get closer to it, but from the perception of the KP it seems people are not willing to compromise on other necessary changes such as a smaller battery.
09-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #1056
Pentaxian

Earlier on in the thread I argued that a digital camera has to be deeper than an old film camera by at least the space required for the rear screen and the IBIS mechanism. So a true film-like camera size is not doable without giving up on those features.
and by responding to your statement, I was taking those truly minimal increases into account - that would still be more like my Pentax Super Program than my K-30 is, which is much more like a Canon T90.
09-04-2018, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #1057
Pentaxian

'd be very happy if we get closer to it, but from the perception of the KP it seems people are not willing to compromise on other necessary changes such as a smaller battery.
Which people?? The loudest voices here are anti-this and anti-that. We have no idea what actual Pentax demand looks like; we have no way of determining how world-wide demand for K-70 compares to world-wide demand KP, and which of the difference between the two accounts for those differences in demand.

09-04-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #1058
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in the smaller is not better camp. At least for APS-C and FF. To take advantage of those sensor sizes, for reasonably wide aperture lenses, the lenses are going to be big. Ergonomically, I don't think a really small, flat body is great with larger lenses. I certainly wouldn't want a lens the size of the FA* 70-200 on a body the size of a Fuji XT.
Lighter would be fine, and there's other reasons to want mirrorless, but for me, smaller size would be way down the priority list.
09-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #1059

Photos: Gallery
On the point of the size of the body and not necessarily the thickness, it tends to be nice to be able to fit my middle, ring and pinky all on the grip without hooking my pinky under the camera like I had to do with my k-50. With the heavier lenses I tended to get a cramp after a while.
09-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #1060
Veteran Member

I could even have pro APS-C camera in k1 size body. As long as I have second smaller camera.
09-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #1061
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tulon Quote
On the point of the size of the body and not necessarily the thickness, it tends to be nice to be able to fit my middle, ring and pinky all on the grip without hooking my pinky under the camera like I had to do with my k-50. With the heavier lenses I tended to get a cramp after a while.
How are you supporting the lens???

For a larger lens, I support the lens with my left hand and the body with my right hand - that is how we managed long lenses in the day of manual focus with a camera that had virtually no "grip", and I still do it today

09-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #1062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do the same thing for longer, heavier lenses. Two hands.
But the overall stability is still better with a more substantial right hand grip, even if one is using two hands.
09-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #1063
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I'm in the smaller is not better camp. At least for APS-C and FF. To take advantage of those sensor sizes, for reasonably wide aperture lenses, the lenses are going to be big. Ergonomically, I don't think a really small, flat body is great with larger lenses. I certainly wouldn't want a lens the size of the FA* 70-200 on a body the size of a Fuji XT.
Lighter would be fine, and there's other reasons to want mirrorless, but for me, smaller size would be way down the priority list.
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I do the same thing for longer, heavier lenses. Two hands.
But the overall stability is still better with a more substantial right hand grip, even if one is using two hands.
I guess these two statements summarize where we disagree. I happily used the Pentax Super Program in #1061 for eleven years with no issues; I viewed cameras such as even the K1000 as being "large and clunky". I would happily go back, as would the many who are purchasing MILCs. I hope there is enough of a market left for large things to sustain Pentax.

I have nothing more to say on this particular subject.
09-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #1064
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, fair enough...it's definitely a personal preference thing.
09-04-2018, 04:54 PM - 5 Likes   #1065
Pentaxian

I recently heard a rumor that Pentax plans to release what they have been developing and not change directions based on this debate. Take it with a grain of salt, my source may be unreliable. :-)
Closed Thread