Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 03:35 AM   #1156

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If they had released a K-3iii as you describe, the word "face-lift" would have been heavily used here. and people would still be demanding a 'real' K-3 replacement.
Just imagine what people will be like if that is what they release! Lots of moaning and then lots of fanboys saying it's natural progression

I have just bought a Sony RX100m4 in the sale which fixes a lot of the holes in the Pentax line up for me (ie half decent video and better autofocus) so I'm not in such a rush for the next Pentax camera now. In fact I might skip it all together as I'm more than happy with my K5ii / RX100 combination.

09-08-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #1157
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Do you remember DA*10-20/4 lens prototype?

No. Show the photo, please

Last edited by ogl; 09-08-2018 at 06:41 AM.
09-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #1158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Anyway there are no signs of any new product this year...
I remember 2016 as a disappointing Photokina - but this year we actually do have "signs" of something coming - from Kenspo, from Asahiman, from Rush2112 .... but Pentax is very good at keeping secrets until they are ready to reveal them - we should hear something in the next week or ten days or so if we're going to hear anything
09-08-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #1159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It turned out that our software leader had multiplied all our estimates by two before he gave them to the project manager, and the project manager had multiplied the software leader's estimate by two to get the estimate he actually used.
That's what I always do as an ICT project manager. The first x2 is to take into account all extra work programmers tend not to think about. Times two is pretty standard here (actually I generally consider the coding to represent 45%, not 50% of total work). The second multiplication is contingency, i.e. the budget to cover all risks, which is determined by the risk level of the environment you work in. Standard at 10% for well known environments, but many many times that if there's lots of uncertainty. Still, estimation is not exact science, it's an art...

Wim

09-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #1160

I remember 2016 as a disappointing Photokina - but this year we actually do have "signs" of something coming - from Kenspo, from Asahiman, from Rush2112 .... but Pentax is very good at keeping secrets until they are ready to reveal them - we should hear something in the next week or ten days or so if we're going to hear anything
I sincerely hope so.
09-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #1161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
That's what I always do as an ICT project manager. The first x2 is to take into account all extra work programmers tend not to think about. Times two is pretty standard here (actually I generally consider the coding to represent 45%, not 50% of total work). The second multiplication is contingency, i.e. the budget to cover all risks, which is determined by the risk level of the environment you work in. Standard at 10% for well known environments, but many many times that if there's lots of uncertainty. Still, estimation is not exact science, it's an art...

Wim
Although I was mostly involved in the hardware side of development projects, the SW folks usually quoted 2 lines of fully tested code per programmer per day as the expected output. This included all levels of testing from module through integration and regression testing. So, if the project was well defined, based off of previous similar product projects, and there was no feature creep once the contract book was approved, the SW team had something to base their estimates on. But they still needed to pad them for the unexpected issues that might arise.
09-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #1162
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
That reminds me of one of my favorite Dilbert cartoons.

Dilbert Comic Strip on 1996-04-15 | Dilbert by Scott Adams
Dilbert is a documentary of sorts, though funny. Scott Adams, in addition to his own experiences, received stories from many in the high-tech industries.

The episode, long ago, on the ever-shrinking cubicles, leading to the head cubicle, was taken from a company that I worked at. I was not the source, however.

09-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #1163
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

I did have one project which we finished a few days ahead of schedule. It turned out that our software leader had multiplied all our estimates by two before he gave them to the project manager, and the project manager had multiplied the software leader's estimate by two to get the estimate he actually used.
That's about right.

No, really.
09-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #1164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Dilbert is a documentary of sorts, though funny. Scott Adams, in addition to his own experiences, received stories from many in the high-tech industries.

The episode, long ago, on the ever-shrinking cubicles, leading to the head cubicle, was taken from a company that I worked at. I was not the source, however.
I need to find that one. We're in the midst of a transition from personal cubes 8x8ft with 5ft walls, to 2 people per 6x12ft cubes with 3.5ft walls and an open back.
09-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #1165
Pentaxian

That's about right.No, really.
That's an old method. The new trend that's picking-up recently (coming from Apple and Amazon management practices), is to set goals that are 2x or 3x higher than what's possible to achieve, every one miss his goal , just to put employees in inferior position at the next yearly staff appraisal (no increase of paie, despite very hard work done). That method is said to max out team performance because what's being achieved at impossible goal, is superior to what would have been achieved if the goal was achievable. The down side is more burnouts, some employees just quit as they can't stand the pressure, they get replaced. That method is slowing progressing at blue chip companies.
09-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #1166
Pentaxian

Years ago now I thought that Pentax OVF indicators and focusing sounds made the Pentax experience feel less precise than the canikon. The fussy red lights and the sound of the focus confirm was just less convincing. This is completely about perception, but unfortunately much is.

It would be interesting if Pentax could innovate the optical viewfinder somehow. Perhaps just better display of focus points or the much discussed hybrid viewfinder. IQ and sensors seem to have stagnated so these other aspects become more important. The viewfinder being one of the most important would be a good place to innovate.
09-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #1167
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at one time Scott Adams had a "Dilbert 20" stock index, consisting of the 20 companies most responsible for suggestions. At one time, when I worked for one of the "Dilbert 20", one of his cartoons would periodically appear on our lab door; we eventually discovered these were being put up by our Program Manager - apparently he got as frustrated as we did.
09-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #1168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's an old method. The new trend that's picking-up recently (coming from Apple and Amazon management practices), is to set goals that are 2x or 3x higher than what's possible to achieve, every one miss his goal , just to put employees in inferior position at the next yearly staff appraisal (no increase of paie, despite very hard work done). That method is said to max out team performance because what's being achieved at impossible goal, is superior to what would have been achieved if the goal was achievable. The down side is more burnouts, some employees just quit as they can't stand the pressure, they get replaced. That method is slowing progressing at blue chip companies.
A version of that has leaked out even into areas like teaching - demoralising, counterproductive and evil in such places
09-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #1169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's an old method. The new trend that's picking-up recently (coming from Apple and Amazon management practices), is to set goals that are 2x or 3x higher than what's possible to achieve, every one miss his goal , just to put employees in inferior position at the next yearly staff appraisal (no increase of paie, despite very hard work done).
Periodically I get a call from Amazon HQ asking me to attend what amounts to a "job fair". I don't tell them I'm retired now .... I just tell them I'm not interested in working for them - because that would be true even if I were "looking" and were able to move to the Seattle area {for many years I was what is known as a "trailing spouse" - my wife is also a professional, so I looked for employment near her job}. Repeatedly they seem to ignore my request that they remove me from their database of "prospects".
09-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #1170
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at one time Scott Adams had a "Dilbert 20" stock index, consisting of the 20 companies most responsible for suggestions. At one time, when I worked for one of the "Dilbert 20", one of his cartoons would periodically appear on our lab door; we eventually discovered these were being put up by our Program Manager - apparently he got as frustrated as we did.
I've heard there are two kinds of companies you don't want to work for - the ones where everybody has posted multiple Dilbert cartoons, and the ones where there's not a single one to be found.

It's obvious why you wouldn't want to be in a place that identifies so strongly with Dilbert, but what about the place that doesn't? It's likely they've banned Dilbert from the premises, because even the best company has at least one Dilbert cartoon that applies.
Closed Thread