Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #1231

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It sets the standard for Apsc,$$$ony might match it with the A7000???

---------- Post added 09-12-18 at 08:13 AM ----------

They arent flops,they dont quite reach the standard that $$$ony has set with the A7iii.However,with some firmware tweaks they will improve.

The CaNiks will sell extremely well espescially once the tweaks come.Panasonic will bring a better "first FF M/L" to market than anyone.
That is possible. However i would factor in the cost to the end user when it comes to the new lenses and the cost of the adapter which isn't on sale for every one everywhere. The Z7 has more accurate image quality than the D850 but i won't spending that kind of money to jump ship to mirrorless. A single memory card slot doesn't scare me as much as it does others. I never really fill cards up more than 50% just in case and smaller capacity cards have advantages as well. It's a kind of second card backup in a way.

I have a pouch with small pockets in them and each has one of those small plastic plant labels so for a wedding i have bride 1, bride 2, bride 3 each with it's own SD card so at least one card will have something and less chance of failing even if the camera doesn't have dual card slots.

As for the X-T3 it is undeniable that they went in the right direction. I am not expecting Pentax to come up with an equivalent offering as fujifilm really did catch the others off guard with this. X-T3 AF aside the spec that concerns me the most when it comes to competition is the "full sensor read out" which treads on Pentax territory.

As for the Panasonic FF rumor, it's still up in the air and incredibly vague as to what they have planed.

Otherwise i always save up to buy Pentax gear and with all the Pentax gear i have no one should complain.

Last edited by solitudebound; 09-11-2018 at 02:46 PM.
09-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #1232

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is the AF having trouble finding focus, or is it focusing on the wrong thing?
Usually, when I'm having trouble focusing on something still, the issue is that the camera is focusing on the branch rather than on the animal.
Yes I think the AF have trouble finding the focus as sometime it focus in front of the subject, sometime behind, and sometime spot on, as you can see in the attached shots. And there is no branch in front of the subject.
I took about 300 shots of the same scene and have about 30 shot in focus: 10%. So yes, very frustrating, and a better AF is definitly something I am looking for in K-3III (or lens?)

1. focus behind
2. focus infront
3. focus ok
4. crop out of focus

Last edited by superdave; 02-25-2019 at 02:18 PM.
09-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #1233
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I can’t see why Ricoh would go to the trouble of developing a new lens like the delayed DA* 11-18 if they weren’t planning a new flagship APS-c to put it on. Anybody who has a good rationale, please enlighten!
My "no more APS-C right now" is just a guess .... Asahiman is seldom wrong, and I'm having a hard time imagining their working on three bodies at once .... but anything is possible.

Fortunately, Photokina is just two weeks away, so hopefully we'll get some actual information real soon now.
09-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #1234
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
As for the Panasonic FF rumor, it's still up in the air and incredibly vague as to what they have planed.
Theres news coming regularly now, Sept 25 its official.

The surprise that RI did with the K-1 upgrade will be surpassed by Panasonic(its not been done b4 afaik).Totally different.

Panasonics plan is to come in at the top end whereas Canon came in at entry level and Nikon came in at entry and mid level.

$$$ony is just waiting in the wings,ha ha.

09-11-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #1235

Theres news coming regularly now, Sept 25 its official.

The surprise that RI did with the K-1 upgrade will be surpassed by Panasonic(its not been done b4 afaik).Totally different.

Panasonics plan is to come in at the top end whereas Canon came in at entry level and Nikon came in at entry and mid level.

True.
09-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #1236
Pentaxian

Ricoh might be doing the smart thing, waiting.
$$$ony will throw tons of money to bankrupt or force the competition out of the market. Then, they'll get bored and quit, like they did with the LCD panels or whatever it was. Which means Ricoh would have the entire market for themselves!
There's a very slight chance I might be a tiny bit optimistic about this, though...
09-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #1237

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Pentax KP's battery grip D-BG7?
The one that brings the price dangerously close to a used K1?

09-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #1238

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ricoh might be doing the smart thing, waiting.
$$$ony will throw tons of money to bankrupt or force the competition out of the market. Then, they'll get bored and quit, like they did with the LCD panels or whatever it was. Which means Ricoh would have the entire market for themselves!
There's a very slight chance I might be a tiny bit optimistic about this, though...
When it came to the LCD tvs that did happen. No support even for the non lcd components of their tv products. Samsung and other brands swooped in en masse.
09-11-2018, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #1239
Pentaxian

I'm hoping that Sony is now hiring consultants from Samsung on how to quit the camera market.
J/K... probably
09-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #1240

I'm hoping that Sony is now hiring consultants from Samsung on how to quit the camera market.
J/K... probably
Ouch!
09-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #1241
Pentaxian

Well if CaNik throw plenty of their R&D $$$ into their new systems,which they have to to keep $$$ony and Panasonic away from their client base,Then RI can possibly get competitive in Dslrs.They have got the first new prime to market and its right up there.Lets hope they can get the 85 and 20-24(i dont know what its actually going to be) out soon with the 35mm.
09-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #1242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
Yes I think the AF have trouble finding the focus as sometime it focus in front of the subject, sometime behind, and sometime spot on, as you can see in the attached shots. And there is no branch in front of the subject.
I took about 300 shots of the same scene and have about 30 shot in focus: 10%. So yes, very frustrating, and a better AF is definitly something I am looking for in K-3III (or lens?)

1. focus behind
2. focus infront
3. focus ok
4. crop out of focus
Are you in center point, SEL, or Auto mode?

These results would frustrate me too.
09-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #1243
Pentaxian

Ha Ha, not likely....Sammy are still in the game with their sensors,$$$ony are being attacked from all angles.
09-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #1244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote

1. focus behind
2. focus infront
3. focus ok
4. crop out of focus
In these photos, the deer is just standing there. What did you do to "focus" on it. What settings and what methodology - what did you do to tell the camera that the deer was the most important part of the scene?
09-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What AF settings are you using?
See second half of this thread. I've gotten better results after the suggestions and changes from that thread, but basically I have to stop down to something like f/7.1 for greater depth of field, use back button focus, center point, and I get decent keeper rates. That often drives ISO in non-ideal lighting to 1600, 3200, sometimes higher. Shooting wider open for greater subject separation or lower ISO is basically a non-starter.
Closed Thread