Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #1246
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
See second half of this thread. I've gotten better results after the suggestions and changes from that thread, but basically I have to stop down to something like f/7.1 for greater depth of field, use back button focus, center point, and I get decent keeper rates. That often drives ISO in non-ideal lighting to 1600, 3200, sometimes higher. Shooting wider open for greater subject separation or lower ISO is basically a non-starter.
Aha, thanks. I had a read.

As I shoot kids football quite a lot, I have struggled with the same issues. Like you, I have found the points you raise in your above post seem to give the best results - with the exception of one: I have found I get better results if I leave all the AF points on, or use the centre 9 AF points.

09-11-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #1247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK Pentax I'm going to be frank with you. Almost every APC camera you produce seems to be a bit of an experiment. Like your just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks, which is fine. However only if you stick to the lines that define your brand. That's the K7 K5 and now K3 lines. Hopefully they bring a replacement soon, the KP doesn't match the astetics of the limited lenses so if that is what they were shooting for I think they should try again with a KP II, but not yet. Handover the K3 III please.
09-11-2018, 06:45 PM - 4 Likes   #1248
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
OK Pentax I'm going to be frank with you. Almost every APC camera you produce seems to be a bit of an experiment. Like your just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks, which is fine. However only if you stick to the lines that define your brand. That's the K7 K5 and now K3 lines. Hopefully they bring a replacement soon, the KP doesn't match the astetics of the limited lenses so if that is what they were shooting for I think they should try again with a KP II, but not yet. Handover the K3 III please.

I can understand the sentiment. But I suspect no one from Ricoh or Pentax brand read any of these posts. As a result, it is just us moaning and wailing at each other for no good reason. These threads change nothing but for maybe a few folks blood pressure temporarily...
09-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #1249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I can understand the sentiment. But I suspect no one from Ricoh or Pentax brand read any of these posts. As a result, it is just us moaning and wailing at each other for no good reason. These threads change nothing but for maybe a few folks blood pressure temporarily...
Well I don't think they read them either, at least not directly. But I offer my advice anyway, for free too.

09-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #1250

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Are you in center point, SEL, or Auto mode?

These results would frustrate me too.
Center focus point.

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 08:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In these photos, the deer is just standing there. What did you do to "focus" on it. What settings and what methodology - what did you do to tell the camera that the deer was the most important part of the scene?
Settings are AF-S, single center focus point, I just put the deer in the middle of the frame, focus and shot. The move the focus using the ring and try again and again, until I think there is at least one photo in good focus. Photo are taken around 1/160, f4, -0.7EV using monopod, and shake reduction, and deer is not moving at all.
Liveview is not better as far as I remember, may be the subject is too far away (small in frame) or not contrasted enough. Or may be the cross sensor AF is too large and hit area surrounding the subject...

Generally when I shoot a direction sign at the same distance in the woods, which is almost black and white (very contrasted), there is no problem and I can read the text.

Last edited by superdave; 09-11-2018 at 11:03 PM.
09-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #1251

QuoteQuote:
Highlight: The advantage of Spot setting in AF mode
The Spot setting is an autofocus mode that detects the in-focus point using a single AF sensor positioned at the center of the image field.
For PENTAX digital SLR cameras marketed after the PENTAX K-3, the Spot setting detects an area approximately 30 percent narrower than that of the Select setting, which uses a set of middle AF sensors in autofocus operation.
How to optimize focusing accuracy with large-aperture lenses / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

Hum, according to the article above, it look like Spot settings is more precise than Select settings with the center point on camera marketed after the PENTAX K-3.
I don't know if this is also the case with K-3II?
I never use Spot settings as to me it is the same as Select with the center point, but the article say that Select use multiple AF points (a set of middle AF sensors)... that could explain why focus could be around the subject... I will try Spot next time! but probably K-3II is same as K-3 in the article above.
09-12-2018, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #1252
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
One problem, of course, is that any camera with built in GPS is going to be... ... because GPS does not work through metal.
Kind regards,
Mark
that may be true to some point but no reason to make the whole top plasticky. K-1 isnt built that way either so... this answer doesnt fit right IMHO.
thanks for the welcome.

09-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #1253
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The KP does not have GPS.
another reason why the answer doesnt do it.
09-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1254

What ends up on the rumor sites is weird. A camera sync app, a new Pentax how to manual and a random guess at new Ricoh GR. Flaming wars in the comments.

"is this all that there is? is there nothing more?"

I don't know whether to laugh or be depressed. A bit of both. Bring on the practical enthusiasm.

This is what caffeine withdrawl does to you.
09-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #1255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
that may be true to some point but no reason to make the whole top plasticky. K-1 isnt built that way either so... this answer doesnt fit right IMHO.
Welcome, you fit right in with the others who don't trust modern space age materials.
09-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #1256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
What ends up on the rumor sites is weird. A camera sync app, a new Pentax how to manual and a random guess at new Ricoh GR. Flaming wars in the comments.

"is this all that there is? is there nothing more?"

I don't know whether to laugh or be depressed. A bit of both. Bring on the practical enthusiasm.

This is what caffeine withdrawl does to you.
I feel sorry for you.
09-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #1257
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Welcome, you fit right in with the others who don't trust modern space age materials.
Are you serious?
09-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #1258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the welcome.
The KP plastic top probably makes it easier to get the WiFi to work... ...as well as being cheaper to design and make. I know high-end mobile phones have metal bodies, but there must be substantial effort in the design of the various antennae and details of the case to make it work properly - or not. (Remember the iPhone 4...) That is effort that would detract from other, more important, design details.

The K1 does have a plastic prism cover. I believe the GPS and WiFi modules are situated there. The KP has a flash in that location...
09-12-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #1259
Pentaxian

Are you serious?
Yes, there are many here who don't trust the materials that modern aircraft, etc are made from.
I don't see what was unclear about my statement.
09-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #1260

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I feel sorry for you.
The solution was hot chocolate. ;-)
Closed Thread