Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #1306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The context is another. Ricoh is always too slow and too late at the photo market. Pentax before Hoya and Ricoh's time was more energetic.

Sony is Gulliver, Ricoh is Midget. Don't you think so? How to compare?
Midget? Would they not be Lilliputian when put into the proper sentence context?

09-18-2018, 03:45 AM   #1307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Panasonic could share new mount for Olympus.
Micro 8/3?

There are worse ideas...🙂

-Eric
09-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #1308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I expect Olympus to join in on fullframe. We have another week for press day at Photokina.
That would be funny.
Olympus, yet again, moving mounts...
09-18-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #1309
Pentaxian

Panasonic had to move to a bigger sensor since 8K would have been too cramped on a 4/3 sensor: 44.2 MPix (7,680 x 5,760) and photosites of 2.2µm.

Olympus are not so much into video.

09-18-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #1310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But Olympus only had a camera this year, no lenses.
Olympus is rumored to release a significant update to the EM1 mkII beginning next year. It apparently will be quite a leap upwards again from the existing model.
Lenses wise, they have a fairly complete package of modern, high performing lenses (not retro or vintage).
They really should though get a 400mm f4 lens out. If they do, they are amongst my choices for a switch next year.
I am not holding my breath for a K3 successor anymore obviously.

Chris
09-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #1311
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Panasonic had to move to a bigger sensor since 8K would have been too cramped on a 4/3 sensor:
Thats exactly the reason they have a FF coming.The "rumour", is of the highest level saying above 42 MP, They are the biggest threat to $$$ony.

They know mirrorless,they know high end video,all they have to do is increase sensor size and their device will potentially be 8K capable.

Now, I'm not expecting their first FF to be 8K.Their statement in 2016 was they intended to have 8K by the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.Their 8K may not be developed far enough just yet?

All indications are at this stage is HIGH end video and stills with a price to match,its not going to compete in the 2-2500 price bracket.The interesting rumour is of the adapters to CaNik mounts??? I'm not sure if thats credible but it opens up a lot of potential customers.
09-18-2018, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1312
Pentaxian

Since we are into the announcements in the framework of Photokina: Nokishita Camera just published a list of the lenses to be announced by Sigma and three pictures of each of them.

【噂】シグマが近日中に発表する新レンズの画像|軒下デジカメ情報局
  • 28mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
  • 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM | Art
  • 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports
  • 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports (the new Bigma)
  • 56mm f/1.4 DC DN | Contemporary (this one is a portrait lens for mirrorless cameras with a sensor not bigger than APS-C)

09-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #1313
Pentaxian

This discussion makes my point - it's fine if e.g. Olympus didn't announce anything, they'd surely have something nice later - but Pentax? They're DoomedTM
09-18-2018, 05:49 AM   #1314
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This discussion makes my point - it's fine if e.g. Olympus didn't announce anything, they'd surely have something nice later - but Pentax? They're DoomedTM
Very ordinary level of thinking...
09-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #1315
Pentaxian

Well, Olympus only has one system to develop and maintain.
Their resources and ambitions are in balance.
Pentax has 3 systems to develop and maintain, but their present resources don't allow for this at all.
The outcome may well be the obvious: choose the system you feel is most likely to be successful, and develop and maintain that system properly.

I think Ricoh/Pentax is very much walking that path right now.
MF and APSC suffers, obviously.
09-18-2018, 05:59 AM - 3 Likes   #1316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Olympus is rumored to release a significant update to the EM1 mkII beginning next year. It apparently will be quite a leap upwards again from the existing model.
Lenses wise, they have a fairly complete package of modern, high performing lenses (not retro or vintage).
They really should though get a 400mm f4 lens out. If they do, they are amongst my choices for a switch next year.

Chris
Please, Please, Please. Chris, please switch so you can tell the Olympus forum, if there is one, next year about how Olympus is failing you and you are jumping ship. Its been obvious from most of your posts this year what your plans were and are so please spare us. We certainly wouldn't want you to hold your breath for a K-3 successor and pass out from lack of oxygen
09-18-2018, 06:09 AM   #1317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you are willing to make plans based on what Olympus might do next year, but not on what Pentax might do before then???
09-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #1318
Veteran Member

Chris
Well, just be aware that rumours are all we have and it’s very easy to be persuaded by camera chatter that paying improbably large sums of money is somehow “worth it”. A new Oly flagship and say their 300mm f4 would still be eye-wateringly expensive. Yes, much less than the FF eqivalent but a say D500 and suitable telephoto would likely cost no more, probably less, and the sensor would likely yield a stop more performance to play with. I greatly admire Oly kit but horses for courses, imho. What Oly probably lack most is a long zoom, like say 100-350mm. That would be my bet. Chances are quite high that a new high-end cam will be more for the video crowd but of course that’s all rumours too. Pentax have never been the obvious choice for wildlifing and to be fair they’ve never tried to claim they are. If they did a deal for one of the 150-600mm lenses they could start to make a plausible case, however ...
09-18-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #1319
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Well, just be aware that rumours are all we have and it’s very easy to be persuaded by camera chatter that paying improbably large sums of money is somehow “worth it”. A new Oly flagship and say their 300mm f4 would still be eye-wateringly expensive. Yes, much less than the FF eqivalent but a say D500 and suitable telephoto would likely cost no more, probably less, and the sensor would likely yield a stop more performance to play with. I greatly admire Oly kit but horses for courses, imho. What Oly probably lack most is a long zoom, like say 100-350mm. That would be my bet. Chances are quite high that a new high-end cam will be more for the video crowd but of course that’s all rumours too.
My personal reasons for looking to switch, away from Pentax, also have to do with the new mirrorless technologies, and new designs in super telelenses, like the new Nikon PF 500mm f5.6. An Olympus 400mm f4 would also be an attractive choice from a portability and IQ point of view (knowing Olympus lenses). But certainly also a big part in the choice, is that I do not think it is realistic to expect Pentax, with their resources given them by Ricoh, can possibly properly develop and maintain three camera formats. To me, it is obvious that FF is their new goal. Others are ever free to disagree, but expecting Pentax to develop and maintain three camera formats in todays market, and with Ricoh's obviously restricted funding, would be well, a bit foolish i.m.o., on my part, that is.
I see Pentax as a "safe" choice for conventional FF DSLR, but I'm looking for a safer APSC choice, and 4/3's Olympus would also be a possibility with a 400mm f4 lens.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 09-18-2018 at 06:37 AM.
09-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #1320
Veteran Member

My personal reasons for looking to switch, away from Pentax, also have to do with the new mirrorless technologies, and new designs in super telelenses, like the new Nikon PF 500mm f5.6. An Olympus 400mm f4 would also be an attractive choice from a portability and IQ point of view (knowing Olympus lenses). But certainly also a big part in the choice, is that I do not think it is realistic to expect Pentax, with their resources given them by Ricoh, can possibly properly develop and maintain three camera formats. To me, it is obvious that FF is their new goal. Others are ever free to disagree, but expecting Pentax to develop and maintain three camera formats in todays market, and with Ricoh's obviously restricted funding, would be well, a bit foolish i.m.o., on my part, that is.
I see Pentax as a "safe" choice for conventional FF DSLR, but I'm looking for a safer APSC choice, and 4/3's Olympus would also be a possibility with a 400mm f4 lens.

Chris
Chris, we are pretty well on the same page here. My experience with an 80-300mm equiv on M43 is that sensor performance becomes an issue in fading light. And a lot of wildlife is on view in fading light, in shadows and so on. On an E-M1 I can get good results at up to ISO 2000 or so but only with careful technique, wide open aperture and resorting to DxO PhotoLab which has superior noise and micro-contrast controls over Adobe. I’m picky, though. Others might push much higher. Point though for me is not to overspend given this ceiling. Maybe a new sensor next year will push M43 comfortably into real quality at ISO 3200, say. Yes, the features from a mirrorless approach are good to have. Still a limited envelope on M43 though. Fine for me, since “compact but fully featured” is my fave niche, and once a Pentax one too, but I’m no pro.
Closed Thread