Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 12:50 PM - 3 Likes   #1351
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No, that is coming when due time is........
There is no evidence that they will phase out the K-70 or the KP before the K-3 replacement is ready.
Your words sound a lot like troll word games here.

More to the point, Pentax has promised a K-3 replacement, and we will get a K-3 replacement .... just not quite as speedily as we had hoped for.
The rumors about availability of a sensor from Samsung are one of several reasons explaining this unfortunate delay.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/375925-wild-rumour...-fujifilm.html

09-18-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #1352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
(...)

The negative impact of acquisitions should be factored off, as they're one-time expenses. What matters is if the business is viable.

(...)
No no no. I was talking about a (supposedly) negative contribution of the acquired business to the operating result, not about one-time expenses.

Anyway, now that I'm back in front of a computer I checked the sources and the exact wording is as follows:

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:
The impact of PENTAX Ricoh Imaging Co. for FY2012/03 was 15.0 billion in net sales and no impact in operating income.
https://www.ricoh.com/IR/data/pre/pdf/h23q4_con.pdf page 3

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh:
Other business resulted in minus 6 billion yen operating income. The largest factor behind the loss is compact digital cameras of Ricoh. PENTAX was almost brake [sic!] even in profit.
https://www.ricoh.com/IR/pdf/essence_text_0426.pdf page 5

So the Pentax business acquired by Ricoh from Hoya contributed ¥15bn in sales over 6 months (it was acquired as of 1st October 2011 and was therefore consolidated during the second half of the fiscal year only) and was almost break-even whilst the Ricoh-branded compact cameras lost a good portion of ¥6bn during FY2012/03.

In other words, Hoya sold and Ricoh acquired a business (Pentax Imaging) of around ¥30bn in yearly sales and 0- in operating income, i.e. a business that was apparently turned around.

Smart Vision (which includes Pentax, the Ricoh compact cameras, the Theta business and the rugged BtoB cameras) achieved net sales of ¥19.4bn in FY2018/03.
09-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #1353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So Pentax representatives were lying when they told Adam a K-3 replacement is coming???
Remember what asahi man wrote earlier this year (in early February) on the other forum:

09-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #1354
Pentaxian

@Mistral75
Thank you. Indeed, acquiring Pentax Imaging Systems was not the waste of money some people want us to think it was.

09-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #1355
Pentaxian

Ricoh paid too much for a Pentax bride that wore a heavy make-up applied by Hoya.

However this acquisition might have been necessary for Ricoh to maintain an activity in the camera business, considering the state of theirs at the time.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-18-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
09-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #1356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Remember what asahi man wrote earlier this year (in early February) on the other forum:
Yes, he says that a K-3 replacement is being developed but will be a little later than people would hope.

added: That is the part relevant to this thread.
09-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #1357
Pentaxian

@Mistral75
That's debatable. How much is your only chance of succeeding at consumer imaging, and likely several non-consumer imaging areas worth?

09-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #1358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, he says that a K-3 replacement is being developed but will be a little later than people would hope.
I don't believe for a moment that anyone in Germany have any idea of what Pentax is planning in a year or two.
09-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #1359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't believe for a moment that anyone in Germany have any idea of what Pentax is planning in a year or two.
In this case, his words agree with what the Pentax representative told Adam:

A K-3 replacement is being developed, but will be later than we had hoped.
09-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #1360
Pentaxian

I've participated in this thread, so I'm not without blame, but I can't believe that we've gone for 91 pages arguing and speculating about something that we'll have actual information on in the next week and a half. I'm willing to just wait and see what they say.

Both the KP and the K1 would be fine upgrades for me and the K3 line would give me a nice refresh. They'll make their announcements and then we'll know. I'm not leaving Pentax for Sony, Canon, or Nikon because I enjoy Pentax. But, I do think that I'll purchase a body in the next year and within 2 weeks I'll have more information to plan around.

You guys are all awesome. Be happy. If you really can't be happy with Pentax, move to another brand. It's okay.
09-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #1361
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
@Mistral75
Thank you. Indeed, acquiring Pentax Imaging Systems was not the waste of money some people want us to think it was.
A camera business that has zero profit is more like a hobby then a business. The value of it is not more then everything you can sell (building, equipment, inventory, and all you find) minus the cost for laying off staff.

added: That is the part relevant to this thread.
That sounds more like cp+ 2020 then thè upcoming Photokina, but we will learn more in just 6 days.

---------- Post added 18-09-18 at 22:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I've participated in this thread, so I'm not without blame, but I can't believe that we've gone for 91 pages arguing and speculating about something that we'll have actual information on in the next week and a half. I'm willing to just wait and see what they say.
Well we had a thread about this same subject (the replacement for the K-3ii) about one and a half year ago or so and with the same participants, the same heated discussion and also with not much of a replacement.
09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #1362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't know where asahi man lives but I can tell you that his English is that of somebody coming from Asia, not of a native German speaker.

Besides, it's this very 'anyone in Germany' that, among other things, published the optical formula of the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW and a picture of its ring-SDM motor in early March.

Source: Pentax DFA* 50mm F1.4 looks similar to Tokina 50mm F1.4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #1363
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
(...) something that we'll have actual information on in the next week and a half. (...)
Shall we?
09-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #1364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's rather the dent made by Canon in entry-level mirrorless cameras and by Fujifilm in high-end crop mirrorless cameras. 24x36 cameras are something else and most of Sony's growth in this field has come from Canon, Nikon and Pentax owners adding a 24x36 mirrorless camera to their gear.

• Canon: Imaging Systems is profitable. Profitability (= operating result ÷ net sales) = 13.2%. Imaging System = still and video cameras and lenses (61%) + inkjet printers (30%) + others (9%).
  • Fujifilm: Imaging Solutions is profitable. Profitability = 14.6%. Imaging Solutions = photo imaging (Instax cameras and films, on-demand photo printing, films and photographic papers; 66.7%) + electronic imaging (compact cameras, ILCs and lenses; 23.2%) + optical devices (industrial lenses and broadcast camera lenses; 10.1%). Profitability mostly stems from the success of the Instax ecosystem, a true cash cow.
  • Hasselblad: they almost went belly up after the failure of the Treviso design centre (Lunar, Stellar, HV and Lusso cameras). Current profitability after DJI's cash injection is unknown.
  • Leica is highly profitable. Profitability is said to be higher than 20%.
  • Nikon: Imaging Products Business is profitable. Profitability = 8.4% (10% when excluding restructuring costs).
  • Olympus: Imaging Business is not profitable, see above.
  • Panasonic: there is no reporting on the performance of the camera+lens business.
  • Phase One: profitability unknown, probably positive since the private equity fund Silverfleet Capital took a 60% stake in Phase One in 2014.
  • Ricoh Imaging: profitability unknown. When Ricoh took over the Pentax photography business in 2011, Ricoh's camera business had been bleeding for years and the acquired business was not profitable (profitability ≈ -10%). The business has been severely restructured, downscaled and moved upmarket since then.
  • Sony: Imaging Products & Solutions is profitable. Profitability = 11.4%. Imaging Products & Solutions = still and video cameras and lenses (64%) + others (display products such as projectors and medical equipment; 36%).
Well thanks, that brings me up to date!
There is still a business in cameras and lenses after all...

Chris
09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #1365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In this case, his words agree with what the Pentax representative told Adam:

A K-3 replacement is being developed, but will be later than we had hoped.
That is not the same as a change of plan. Camera cycles for a top model is almost certainly dependent on suitable sensor supply.
Closed Thread