Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #1396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Lenses may last longer than body .... but these days Pentax seems to be concentrating on a level of perfection that makes them cost as much also, resulting in a really slow development cycle and putting them out of reach of my budget.
The good thing that nobody can force You to buy one, but it is just good to have an option to buy top quality glass. I use Pentax APS-C cameras for paid jobs (so it is easier to spend many on gear) and I own DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. Second one is a solid performer, SDM still works, just the focus is a bit slow. The first one - DA* 16-50 - is from my perspective (based on my copy) on a different level. IQ is not acceptable below f/5.6 but very good at f8, build or rather combination design+build quality is poor for high end lens, SDM failed and lens has been converted to screw drive so no more silent focusing. If I will see the new line of DA* lenses I would buy 16-50 and 11-18 (of course if the reviews and test give me green light). So maybe asahiman can confirm this new DA* line

09-19-2018, 06:06 AM   #1397

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Green coffee beans.
Roast in modified hot air popcorn popper.
Grind just before need.
Make coffee in stovetop siphon.
Coffee Pron.
09-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #1398
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
I wonder if that's part of the (official?) strategy of moving Pentax to a more premium positioning...
Quite likely, but we need to recognize that lenses will not come as fast as we would expect - higher quality requires more attention to the last detail.
09-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #1399

I wonder if that's part of the (official?) strategy of moving Pentax to a more premium positioning...
Moving Pentax to be more like Leica including the prices?

09-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #1400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Well so far they haven't shown "Leica like" pricing in their camera bodies. High quality lens should outlast several bodies.
09-19-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #1401
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well so far they haven't shown "Leica like" pricing in their camera bodies. High quality lens should outlast several bodies.
A Leica 50mm/f1.4 overhere cost 3.999 euro for SL-mount and 3.770 euro for M-mount. So the dfa* for K-mount is still cheap.
09-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #1402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A Leica 50mm/f1.4 overhere cost 3.999 euro for SL-mount and 3.770 euro for M-mount. So the dfa* for K-mount is still cheap.
I agree! I was speaking in general terms.

09-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #1403

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I agree! I was speaking in general terms.
No worries my initial comment was rhetorical. The idea that even the Panasonic FF mirrorless using a Leica mount is scaring a few people with the potential high cost.
09-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #1404
Forum Member

No worries my initial comment was rhetorical. The idea that even the Panasonic FF mirrorless using a Leica mount is scaring a few people with the potential high cost.
people are scared about costs no matter what...
Some even buy camera after camera without essential feature upgrades but still are happy they didnt pay that much...
or beg makers to step down from building something game-changing, because the camera could cost THAT much if it would be built that way, and in the end exactly those people dont buy that camera but stay with their consumer model anyway.
09-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #1405
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moving to premium image quality, yes, thats's what I was told at photokina twoyears ago. But not Leica-like rather than towards Phase One, was my impression. Prices? Idk. But I don't think they'll ignore regular mid range lenses, they seem to be just lower priority.
09-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #1406
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Moving to premium image quality, yes, thats's what I was told at photokina twoyears ago. But not Leica-like rather than towards Phase One, was my impression. Prices? Idk. But I don't think they'll ignore regular mid range lenses, they seem to be just lower priority.
They may as wel close shop today instead of dragging the dead horse around with that goal in mind.
09-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #1407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
They may as wel close shop today instead of dragging the dead horse around with that goal in mind.
Haha, I like your sense of humour. But, what shop? Which dead horse? What are you talking about? What triggered that comment? Lack of coffee?
09-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #1408
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Haha, I like your sense of humour. But, what shop? Which dead horse? What are you talking about? What triggered that comment? Lack of coffee?
Going Leica or Phase One route with camera's and prizes.

Just got my first Coffee.
09-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #1409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
brawlegg
That sounds like something Beowulf would have played
09-20-2018, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #1410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that the past, first when Nikon took pole position, then when Canon achieved their current dominance, shows that you need to be known for being the best at something significant. Pentax / RI (notice I avoided RI/Pentax ) seem to have decided (realistically) that they can't be the best in the electronic whizz-bang area, so they are trying to be the best (or affordable best) at build quality and IQ, both through work on sensors and lenses. Perhaps if and when they have established a solid reputation in premium areas, they can create an upgrade path to get there, but an upgrade path that peters out half way up the hill doesn't seem to be a good strategy.

Last edited by ffking; 09-20-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Closed Thread