Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 03:29 PM - 3 Likes   #1561
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
XT-3 is GOAT... I want one.
Many people want one,however,IF theres any truth in the 2 Korean rumour sites banter about Fuji/Ricoh using Sammy stuff,then its better to wait and see what Ricoh brings.

I hope that before PhotoKina finished that Ricoh enlightens us about the Dual Card Apsc body thats"being looked into".
Orrr you could just tell me (all of us) to save me the time
Then you wont have the" wow" moment!...lol

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

I meant no dual card slot is a failure to me as a photographer. If it's a technical limitation than so be it, but once you've had a card failure you will NEVER buy a single card slot camera again, regardless of the excuses made by the manufacturer.
Well, the million(actually 1.1mill now) subscriber YouTuber did a video on the EosR "failing" due to card failure.

Hes a prime example of the ignorant reviewers who skim through with their "review/look at/ assessments"....He didnt read the specs,simple as that.Didnt use a card that the device worked with.He put diesel in a Ferrari and the Ferrari sent an error message.

09-26-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #1562
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
He put diesel in a Ferrari and the Ferrari sent an error message.
Bwahahaha!! Love the analogy
09-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #1563
Forum Member

At first I wasnt sure, but now:
I just saw a 360° View of the Panasonic S1...!?!§%§§!!!!
Now i need to mention ... we need a Panasonic S1 with the word PENTAX written where actually one can see LUMIX.

Can anybody explain to me, why this awesome camera looks more an evolution of a PENTAX Crop DSLR Flagship than one of the new Pentax DSLRs???

I would never have expected such a straight and awesome body design from Panasonic...
It really looks like the wet-hot dream of a hardcore Pentaxian(despite the fact that its mirrorless)
Did they take someones design who got fired by RICOH-Imaging because he didnt like the weird ideas on the K-1 and they thought his K-1 design was crap???

This is exactly what I would have expected... from the K-1.

Such a nice tactile design, without unnecessary elements... straight lines...
everything in place and without redundant functionality...
They even gave it a f.. thumbstick to change the AF-points(area)... !!

I hope RICOH Imaging stops playing stubborn now, and takes back what belongs to them.

Just take that Panasonic S1R camera-body design, slap in a really excellent perfoming crop-sensor, build a mirrobox around it, pop a K-mount on to it and call it the K-3II successor. PLS!
You can say what you want, but exactly this is the first camera body design that i am lookin at with real envy in my eyes... whilst holding my K-3... gosh it looks STRAIGHT!!!!!!!...
🤪🤪🤪

I know tar and feathers may be ready for me, by now ... but man its the TRUTH!!!

If PENTAX ever goes mirrorless, they should really think about joining forces with the other outsiders...(Sigma, Leica, Panasonic)
09-26-2018, 05:06 PM - 4 Likes   #1564
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
we need a Panasonic S1 with the word PENTAX written where actually one can see LUMIX.

Can anybody explain to me, why this awesome camera looks more an evolution of a PENTAX Crop DSLR Flagship than one of the new Pentax DSLRs???
I really don't see the Pentax look at all. To me, it looks like a mildly worked-over Leica SL with Panasonic finish and design touches... which is no surprise really, given that Panasonic almost-certainly manufactures a large (if not entire) proportion of that product for Leica...

09-26-2018, 05:07 PM - 3 Likes   #1565
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
At first I wasnt sure, but now:
I just saw a 360° View of the Panasonic S1...!?!§%§§!!!!
Now i need to mention ... we need a Panasonic S1 with the word PENTAX written where actually one can see LUMIX.

I would never have expected such a straight and awesome body design from Panasonic...
It really looks like the wet-hot dream of a hardcore Pentaxian(despite the fact that its mirrorless)
Did they take someones design who got fired by RICOH-Imaging because he didnt like the weird ideas on the K-1 and they thought his K-1 design was crap???

This is exactly what I would have expected... from the K-1.

Such a nice tactile design, without unnecessary elements... straight lines...
everything in place and without redundant functionality...
They even gave it a f.. thumbstick to change the AF-points(area)... !!

I hope RICOH Imaging stops playing stubborn now, and takes back what belongs to them.

Just take that Panasonic S1R camera-body design, slap in a really excellent perfoming crop-sensor, build a mirrobox around it, pop a K-mount on to it and call it the K-3II successor. PLS!
You can say what you want, but exactly this is the first camera body design that i am lookin at with real envy in my eyes... whilst holding my K-3... gosh it looks STRAIGHT!!!!!!!...
🤪🤪🤪

I know tar and feathers may be ready for me, by now ... but man its the TRUTH!!!

If PENTAX ever goes mirrorless, they should really think about joining forces with the other outsiders...(Sigma, Leica, Panasonic)
I'm sorry you feel that way. I like the K-1 design, and love the KP variation. I dont see anything "unnecessary" ... anything I would want to get rid of.
09-26-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #1566
Veteran Member

Many people want one,however,IF theres any truth in the 2 Korean rumour sites banter about Fuji/Ricoh using Sammy stuff,then its better to wait and see what Ricoh brings.

I hope that before PhotoKina finished that Ricoh enlightens us about the Dual Card Apsc body thats"being looked into".

Then you wont have the" wow" moment!...lol

---------- Post added 09-27-18 at 09:35 AM ----------

Well, the million(actually 1.1mill now) subscriber YouTuber did a video on the EosR "failing" due to card failure.

Hes a prime example of the ignorant reviewers who skim through with their "review/look at/ assessments"....He didnt read the specs,simple as that.Didnt use a card that the device worked with.He put diesel in a Ferrari and the Ferrari sent an error message.
Are you talking about Tony Northrup?
If so, he used the EOS R at a canon event in Hawaii and was told by their tech on site that his card was in fact compatible and that they were unaware of the cause of the failure.

Regardless stuff happens!

I don't care what some YouTube'r says; if you've never experienced a card failure yourself then consider yourself lucky!
Thankfully my K-3ii has dual cards and I write to both, so when my card failed during a shoot 4 hours in I didn't lose ALL of my content from the day. In fact I didn't lose anything.

1 card slot and NO IBIS!
AT that price, it's gonna be a no for me.
09-26-2018, 07:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1567
Pentaxian

Are you talking about Tony Northrup?
If so, he used the EOS R at a canon event in Hawaii and was told by their tech on site that his card was in fact compatible and that they were unaware of the cause of the failure.

Regardless stuff happens!

I don't care what some YouTube'r says; if you've never experienced a card failure yourself then consider yourself lucky!
Thankfully my K-3ii has dual cards and I write to both, so when my card failed during a shoot 4 hours in I didn't lose ALL of my content from the day. In fact I didn't lose anything.

1 card slot and NO IBIS!
AT that price, it's gonna be a no for me.
Yeah, waiting for Pentax to do something does seem to be a more prudent choice as long as your current camera is working OK.

09-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #1568
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
and was told by their tech on site that his card was in fact compatible and that they were unaware of the cause of the failure.
Who told you that?.....TN covering his backside?

The Techs on site would know which cards work OR they didnt read the specs!

The card didnt fail,it wasnt capable of taking the speed of the data in,the camera did its job and told Northrup there was an error.

Ask Northrup if he discarded the card or tried it an a camera that it was compatible with?
09-26-2018, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #1569
Veteran Member

I meant no dual card slot is a failure to me as a photographer
People who don't get paid for their work really dont need 2 cards. In about 20 years that I am into digital photography I had 0 card failures.
Maybe think Nikon and Canon didnt aim their 1st FF mirrorless efforts for pro photographers? That field is currently covered by their DSLRs.
I see their 2 new cameras aimed at hobby photographers/enthusiasts and early adopters. Nothing more. Systems will evolve.

Last edited by Trickortreat; 09-27-2018 at 12:09 AM.
09-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #1570

2 slots are always better than one, but that would not stop me for buying a K-3III as long as it has a GPS, an oriented screen and a normal battery.
But to my mind, they were so many complains about cameras with only 1 slot recently, that I don't see Ricoh releasing a 1-slot K-3III.
09-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #1571
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
People who don't get paid for their work really dont need 2 cards. In about 20 years that I am into digital photography I had 0 card failures.
Maybe think Nikon and Canon didnt aim their 1st FF mirrorless efforts for pro photographers? That field is currently covered by their DSLRs.
I see their 2 new cameras aimed at hobby photographers/enthusiasts and early adopters. Nothing more. Systems will evolve.
I guess you could say people who don't get paid for their work really don't NEED anything in a camera...

I'll stick to my personal experiences. As a hobbyist wildlife photographer, there have been some very rare encounters in my life; losing these moments due to a card failure and something so trivial as not having a second card as backup is just not an option for me.

If you feel differently, so be it. That's the glory of this industry, you get to decide what gear works for your needs!
09-27-2018, 02:39 AM   #1572
Veteran Member

I'll stick to my personal experiences. As a hobbyist wildlife photographer, there have been some very rare encounters in my life; losing these moments due to a card failure and something so trivial as not having a second card as backup is just not an option for me.
Even if you lose that moment its not a big deal. There is no customer that gets mad at you. You lived that moment, you saw it. Even if you didnt take that photo - youve been there. And that is the whole reason of hobby photography as i see it - to live the moment. It is not about a file on a camera or a hard drive.

How many of those rare, once in a life time moment are there anyway? Maybe 1% of total photos trips taken. And now tell me with a straight face that the card will fail exactly in those 1% moments. Just buy a quality card. They dont fail. Never had even one fail me and i had plenty of em.
There is so much nonsense about 2 card slots cameras that it is getting straight silly. I had a film on a camera fail me so many times and not never heard any hobbyist make a lot of fuss about it.
If you really want a 2 slot camera - sure, get one. But complaining about, what it seems to be an entry level FF camera not having 2 card slots is beyond ridiculous to me.
09-27-2018, 02:47 AM   #1573
Veteran Member

Who told you that?.....TN covering his backside?

The Techs on site would know which cards work OR they didnt read the specs!

The card didnt fail,it wasnt capable of taking the speed of the data in,the camera did its job and told Northrup there was an error.

Ask Northrup if he discarded the card or tried it an a camera that it was compatible with?
Nope Tony Northup can defend himself, I'll look up the specs myself for confirmation:
And are you saying the technicians on site didn't know the specs either? I suppose anything is possible...

The card was a Lexar Professional SDXC I 64 GB Memory Card - UHS-II (1000x) - 150MB/s read transfer speed.
The EOS R - 4K 3840 x 2160: 29.97fps/24.00fps/23.98fps, ALL-I: 480Mbps, 3444 MB/min.
4K 3840 x 2160: 29.97fps/24.00fps/23.98fps, IPB: 120Mbps, 860 MB/min.

The card is well within specs for read/write speeds...

Regardless, I have personally experienced a card failure and if my camera had a single card slot I would have lost hundreds of once-in-a-lifetime photos.
You can defend the EOS R all you want.
09-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #1574
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm sorry you feel that way. I like the K-1 design, and love the KP variation. I dont see anything "unnecessary" ... anything I would want to get rid of.
And I am sorry, that PENTAX lost its ways and others picked it up...
I mean c'mon, be honest to yourself...
the moonlander display... useful only in 4-8% of all shooting situations.
the wheels... distracting AND redundant functionality...

the crippled shoulder display... it felt like a much better when switching off main-lcd on a K-5IIs or K-3 when the shoulder-display used to give me more information...

still choosing the AF-point via 4-way element.... whilst some have plead for a thumbstick long before the K-1 arrived!

I mean the K-1 as a camera is OK, but all this is more bearable then desirable...

But hey, what do I cry for, people anyway are not capable of reading manuals anymore it seems...

They even wonder why their main-screen goes black and cry in fear of havin a bad camera, instead of pressing the info button again
(they most certainly pressed accidently before a few times, whilst looking through the viewfinder, when they wanted to change the AF-POINT via that 4-way controller)

I mean really... on what planet is it actually practical or necessary... to:

1st: press a button above the 4-way controller(thats otherwise useless somehow...- who changes card schemes whilst shooting?)
2nd: choose the AF-area/point
3rd: again press that darn button above the 4way to get back original functionality of the 4way
(!!whilst other just press and move around a little thumbstick!!- this 4way plus button method is actually as impractical as can get.)

BUT:
having 2 more wheels to:
make settings that can be reached in a breeze via holding a button and turning an e-dial(that was always there at the reach of your thumb)
---> exposure correction... for instance... just hold that darn exp.corr.button on top and turn the rear e-dial...
why in gods name should it make sense to turn a wheel 2 times until it reached the desired position and then turn another wheel?
THE EXACT SAME IS IT with SETTING THE ISO...
Bracketing?HDR? -->top button of the 4way...

I know, that others already got burnt for asking for logic in PENTAX body design and coming back to the essential design guidelines of the K-5 series...
But i really feel we need to get back to the roots of our success instead of celebrating all the bells&whistles facade on the K-1...
again it is a good camera, but RTFM and 1st take up a K-5IIs... feel it... use it...
then....
take up a K-1 -- and realize what you feel when using it.
And I mean using it and not playing around with its wheels... or whirring it through the air holding it on its display with the moonlander out...i mean really using it.

The K-5 IMHO handles 100% better because there is nothing on it distractin you from taking photos and every button on its body makes sense exactly where it is... its nearly 100% perfectly designed.
despite the lever above the 4-way is pointing to the left instead of to the right, what would have been much better FMPOV.

admitted it also has no thumbstick... but at that time with that less AF-points... i didnt even care.

and reh... this is really no offense, but my honest oppinion that comes from using a K-1
may I ask...do you actually use or better: own a K-1 body? and for what do you use it?
09-27-2018, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #1575
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Even if you lose that moment its not a big deal. There is no customer that gets mad at you. You lived that moment, you saw it. Even if you didnt take that photo - youve been there. And that is the whole reason of hobby photography as i see it - to live the moment. It is not about a file on a camera or a hard drive.

How many of those rare, once in a life time moment are there anyway? Maybe 1% of total photos trips taken. And now tell me with a straight face that the card will fail exactly in those 1% moments. Just buy a quality card. They dont fail. Never had even one fail me and i had plenty of em.
There is so much nonsense about 2 card slots cameras that it is getting straight silly. I had a film on a camera fail me so many times and not never heard any hobbyist make a lot of fuss about it.
If you really want a 2 slot camera - sure, get one. But complaining about, what it seems to be an entry level FF camera not having 2 card slots is beyond ridiculous to me.
How is that not a big deal?
If that's the case, then why spend thousands of dollars on your camera gear in the first place? Just to say, "Oh well, it failed. Well at least I was here!"

I would just buy a bridge camera for $400 and call it a day...

I'd rather keep the files I've worked so hard to obtain.
Going out in harsh conditions in the middle of winter to track down and stalk a rare species of bird in the national park before sunrise with numb fingers and dripping nose.
Walking through knee deep tidal waters trying to determine how long I can go before hypothermia sets in.
If I nailed the shot in perfect light and subject posture, I'd like to take that home with me. It's a trophy for my hard work.
Losing that to a card failing is not an option. And I'd rather not worry about it in the field.

I wouldn't consider a $3500 (Z7) an entry level FF camera. But maybe that's where we are today; I'll take a D850 any day if that's the case.
Closed Thread