Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 03:03 AM   #1576
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I really don't see the Pentax look at all. To me, it looks like a mildly worked-over Leica SL with Panasonic finish and design touches...
that may be because you now define a PENTAX by the design of the overloaded K-1 what i would not suggest anybody to do...
just take a K-5II, a K-3, a GH-4, a GH-5 and an S1R picture and put them side a side...

Looking at the placement of the elements(mode dial and buttons) its straight lines, its grip.
does the S1R really look more like one of the Panasonic bodies to you?

I hardly doubt that. But hey, tastes differ from person to person...

But what I know, is that the K-1 design is far away from the usability of a K-5IIs and is missing a thumbstick.

09-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #1577
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
How is that not a big deal?If that's the case, then why spend thousands of dollars on your camera gear in the first place? Just to say, "Oh well, it failed. Well at least I was here!"
Do people really need 1000hp+ cars?

Z series really currently are Nikon's entry level FF mirorrless cameras. Even the lens lineup is greatly lacking at the moment and that tells you a lot. Pros wont get those cameras but in a couple of years and few iterations + new lenses...
I'm sure they designed them so they wouldnt cannibalize the sales of their DSLR bodies and waste all R&D, marketing and what not they threw into them.
09-27-2018, 03:21 AM   #1578
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
that may be because you now define a PENTAX by the design of the overloaded K-1 what i would not suggest anybody to do...
just take a K-5II, a K-3, a GH-4, a GH-5 and an S1R picture and put them side a side...

Looking at the placement of the elements(mode dial and buttons) its straight lines, its grip.
does the S1R really look more like one of the Panasonic bodies to you?
To me, it looks more like the Leica SL than any of those other cameras you mention - though I can see the similarity in placement of the mode dial between the K-3 and the S1R... but that's about it.

Actually, in terms of body shape, grip and mode dial placement, it also looks pretty similar to the Nikon Z7

But what I know, is that the K-1 design is far away from the usability of a K-5IIs and is missing a thumbstick.
Each to their own. I don't own a K-1, though I've played with one. I thought it was great. But then, I shoot a mix of different cameras, old and new... K-3II, K-3, K-5, Samsung GX-10 and GX-1L, Sony A7 MkII and Hasselblad HV (Sony A99). They all have different controls and layouts, but I find it easy enough to adapt and they're all very usable. The K-3 is my favourite layout, with the K-5 series slightly behind due to placement of the AF button (I prefer the K-3's layout here)...
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-27-2018 at 03:37 AM.
09-27-2018, 04:36 AM   #1579
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Do people really need 1000hp+ cars?
No, people don't need 1000hp+cars. Just like people don't need FF mirrorless cameras...

09-27-2018, 05:13 AM   #1580
Veteran Member

No, people don't need 1000hp+cars. Just like people don't need FF mirrorless cameras...
Or 2 card slots..... the list can go on...
09-27-2018, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Or 2 card slots..... the list can go on...

First world problems, right?

Glad I have the ability to concern myself with such trivial things.
09-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #1582
Veteran Member

And now in the miniature of "K3ii replacement" thread we have Panasonic Lumix FF camera

09-27-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #1583
Pentaxian

Did they take someones design who got fired by RICOH-Imaging because he didnt like the weird ideas on the K-1 and they thought his K-1 design was crap???
[Shrug]

Nope. The K-1 and KP look great, and look like a Pentax. Line up a Spotmatic, a K2, an LX, and the very well-liked 50th Anniverary K20D. Now put the real icon of Pentax pro cameras beside them -- the Pentax 67. The K-1 and KP all look like they belong to the same family.

As for the slightly innovative controls of the K-1 and KP? Pentax also has been willing in the past to experiment with controls. They led the marketplace to the dual-control-wheel design with the P-Z1p, but that didn't stop them from continuing to explore new ideas with the MZ-S -- still one of the most elegant modern camera control setups, and perfectly suited for digital cameras. The extra dials on the K-1 and KP are in line with other Pentax innovations, and answer some of the different ideas floating around. Want a more "retro" experience with a dedicated knob for ISO or exposure comp (like a Fuji X or Nikon Df)? You've got it with the K-1 or KP. But the extra controls on the K-1 and KP are more fleixble, because the functions are selectable -- very much like the MZ-S.

I hope Pentax keeps the design language of the K-1 and KP for a long time. It's distinctive, works well, and suits both modern (control wheel) shooters and traditionalists (who like dedicated knobs.)
09-27-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #1584
Pentaxian

And I am sorry, that PENTAX lost its ways and others picked it up...
I mean c'mon, be honest to yourself...
the moonlander display... useful only in 4-8% of all shooting situations.
the wheels... distracting AND redundant functionality...

the crippled shoulder display... it felt like a much better when switching off main-lcd on a K-5IIs or K-3 when the shoulder-display used to give me more information...

BUT:
having 2 more wheels to:
make settings that can be reached in a breeze via holding a button and turning an e-dial(that was always there at the reach of your thumb)
---> exposure correction... for instance... just hold that darn exp.corr.button on top and turn the rear e-dial...
why in gods name should it make sense to turn a wheel 2 times until it reached the desired position and then turn another wheel?

and reh... this is really no offense, but my honest oppinion that comes from using a K-1
may I ask...do you actually use or better: own a K-1 body? and for what do you use it?
As you can see from my signature, I have a K-30 and a Q-7.

I have no idea what you mean by "moonlander"; my understanding is that the third dial can be assigned to control ISO - with that, I could accomplish 95% of the adjustments I make directly with just the three dials, no buttons or anything else ..... that seems like a much better use of the top than redundant display.

I hear lots of people bemoaning the lack of a K-3 replacement .... no one other than you demanding that it be delayed a few extra months to rework the top.

Last edited by reh321; 09-27-2018 at 09:12 AM.
09-27-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #1585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect this is personal preference but I would say that this is your opinion. Certainly not mine or others. I have used K-5, K-5IIs, K-3 and K-3II. I still own and shoot both K-3II and K-1. In my opinion, using it for paid work, the K-1 interface is by far the best of any camera I have used. But that is just my opinion.

Also, I think the tilting screen on the K-1 is awesome. A feature I thought from seeing it in pictures would be nothing but a gimmick but actually using it in the field it is extremely intuitive and useful. For my work. YMMV.

Just curious but have you actually used a K-1 in the field?
09-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #1586
Forum Member

gosh... wtf? still dont understand why:

a) turning one dial around until it is in the right position
b) then selecting the ISO with an extra dial
should be any faster or more "tactile" than to

a) just hold the iso button on top of the cam with the index finger and turning the "rear e-dial" in one move only... pls explain...
I think you are making wrong assumptions because you just dont know the ISO button on the old flagships, since you own a K-30...

Its OK if some think, that those wheels make sense, especially if they never read the manual of a K-7/K-5 or used another (DIGITAL) PENTAX flagship camera onwards from the K-7 era.
But from my point of view, it is a fact that we had the most easiest cleanest design on DSLRs when PENTAX introduced the K-7
and all the bodies afterwards up to the K-3 kept that and offered that beautiful uncluttered design.
Everything on those cameras made perfect sense... (K-7 | K-5 | K-5II | K-)
Despite selecting the focus point, you were able to make lightning fast adjustments to ANY of your settings, given you read your manual.

And despite some incy wincy details, like the AF-Button BigMackCam mentioned before or the lever(left instead of right) direction, I dared to note in some former post. - but those are things not worth mentionin...

but i read and heard from a lot of people by now, that those wheels dont really please them and they find em distracting...

Mostly (semi-)professional people who own a K-1 or already rented one... would give both wheels
(and maybe the first segment of their lefthand little-finger)

for having a thumbstick instead with which they could easily select the desired focus-point(/area). bet something on that.

And no offense here, but: People who praise that wheel-cluster-design the most, often seem to not even own or use a K-1.

- yes i used it for street, portrait, etc...
and even though i just hopped in and registered, i know the forum very well already, so it seems to me that some members would also praise the K-1 even if it had a colorchanging glowing ping-pong ball instead of an info display and 4 more wheels.

people have been arguing in here about that before.. i read that. what happened to them?
I guess kicked out in favor of some forum-behemoths... so i wont comment on this issue any further, no matter what you will answer, jatrax...sry.

Last edited by H.Abendsen; 09-27-2018 at 10:16 AM.
09-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #1587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so i wont comment on this issue any further, no matter what you will answer, jatrax...sry.
Not sure what else you could say. You have expressed your opinion. And as always all opinions here are welcome. Even ones that do not agree with you.
09-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #1588
Pentaxian

gosh... wtf? still dont understand why:

a) turning one dial around until it is in the right position
b) then selecting the ISO with an extra dial
should be any faster or more "tactile" than to

a) just hold the iso button on top of the cam with the index finger and turning the "rear e-dial" in one move only... pls explain...
I think you are making wrong assumptions because you just dont know the ISO button on the old flagships, since you own a K-30...

Its OK if some think, that those wheels make sense, especially if they never read the manual of a K-7/K-5 or used another (DIGITAL) PENTAX flagship camera onwards from the K-7 era.
But from my point of view, it is a fact that we had the most easiest cleanest design on DSLRs when PENTAX introduced the K-7
and all the bodies afterwards up to the K-3 kept that and offered that beautiful uncluttered design.
Everything on those cameras made perfect sense... (K-7 | K-5 | K-5II | K-)
Despite selecting the focus point, you were able to make lightning fast adjustments to ANY of your settings, given you read your manual.

And despite some incy wincy details, like the AF-Button BigMackCam mentioned before or the lever(left instead of right) direction, I dared to note in some former post. - but those are things not worth mentionin...

but i read and heard from a lot of people by now, that those wheels dont really please them and they find em distracting...

Mostly (semi-)professional people who own a K-1 or already rented one... would give both wheels
(and maybe the first segment of their lefthand little-finger)

for having a thumbstick instead with which they could easily select the desired focus-point(/area). bet something on that.

And no offense here, but: People who praise that wheel-cluster-design the most, often seem to not even own or use a K-1.

- yes i used it for street, portrait, etc...
and you feel this so strongly, you'd be willing to delay the K-3 replacement for the several months needed to implement the change???
09-27-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #1589
Pentaxian

The card is well within specs for read/write speeds...
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So whats the write speed?
I kind of got lost in all our detours.
Is this sub-discussion to justify saying that the KP is not adequate, or is it part of another wish list for the K-3 replacement??
09-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #1590
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I kind of got lost in all our detours.
I found that info,so deleted my post.

KP?...adequate for what?

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
wish list for the K-3 replacement??
Lots are wishing,some are HOPEing and the others are sick of waiting.I'm happy to wait and see!
Closed Thread