Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #1636
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A yes to the k-3II successor would simply imply a strengthened commitment to the APSC line aligned with the much awaited 11-18. But who knows if they'll say something about it in the interview. I hope that they would give us a more direct answer and not a general one which everyone would need to read between the lines. ������

09-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #1637
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
A yes to the k-3II successor would simply imply a strengthened commitment to the APSC line aligned with the much awaited 11-18. But who knows if they'll say something about it in the interview. I hope that they would give us a more direct answer and not a general one which everyone would need to read between the lines. ������
They didn't mention it at all in the interview
Interview with RICOH - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
09-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #1638
Forum Member

arrhhh. again... LOL Why do you think it would move it back in time?
Do you have any idea, how fast a production line for a technological product can be set up in the 21century?

My father used to work for Alcatel "he was buying parts for products"...( I know they are not very famous for anything but its a tech company anyway...)
And believe me... Such things are achieved much faster than you believe...

Just keep in mind what the Representatives said in the new Photokina interview:

The focus is on how the photographers want to use their cameras and what they expect from them; this will drive decisions about format (APS-C/FF/645) and type of camera technology for future products.

If you want to give a chef 50dollars for just one boiled bean in a pan decorated with one leaf of origanum dost,
... man... the cook will sell it to you.

But keep in mind that for 50 dollars you can have more than one bean, a steak and maybe fries aside too.

Just sayin.

What indeed does take a very very long time is the decision finding process...
Have you ever been sitting on a table where the big heads of a company are discussing what would be the best?

The worst outcries and rants on pentaxforums are kindergarten compared to such a "neverending slaughterfest"...
And since japanese people know how to behave... I think its more like this "Ent" convention in "lord of the rings"...NEVERENDING STORY.

I would bet something that they already have more prototypes lying around somewhere than one would ever believe...
and each can surely be modified/customized to a certain point - in a breeze...

if decision goes final. there is no more planning. blueprints can be modular too.

If you think adding something or leaving something out of such a product actually is a matter of a week or so,
you have made a pretty good guess.

Just take the NFC in the K-1...
It was said to be built in ... but in the very last moments before it was released to the markets or so... they kicked it out because most of the public reviewers they gave it to for reviewing, said that it doesnt mean anything to them.

zip. 2 weeks ... NFC - GONE.

Just ask Philippe Ylan from France... I believe he had a pre-production K-1 for reviewing(before its release and full-on-production of course)
and there were more adjustments made "last minute" than one would believe... for instance also the NFC module...

Wake up!! Its still MORE THAN HALF A YEAR till the release of the K-3II follow up for sure... Thats PLENTY of time.
So why the h.. dont make anymore suggestions or close this thread?
09-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #1639
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
arrhhh. again... LOL Why do you think it would move it back in time?
Do you have any idea, how fast a production line for a technological product can be set up in the 21century?

My father used to work for Alcatel "he was buying parts for products"...( I know they are not very famous for anything but its a tech company anyway...)
And believe me... Such things are achieved much faster than you believe...

Just keep in mind what the Representatives said in the new Photokina interview:

The focus is on how the photographers want to use their cameras and what they expect from them; this will drive decisions about format (APS-C/FF/645) and type of camera technology for future products.

If you want to give a chef 50dollars for just one boiled bean in a pan decorated with one leaf of origanum dost,
... man... the cook will sell it to you.

But keep in mind that for 50 dollars you can have more than one bean, a steak and maybe fries aside too.

Just sayin.

What indeed does take a very very long time is the decision finding process...
Have you ever been sitting on a table where the big heads of a company are discussing what would be the best?

The worst outcries and rants on pentaxforums are kindergarten compared to such a "neverending slaughterfest"...
And since japanese people know how to behave... I think its more like this "Ent" convention in "lord of the rings"...NEVERENDING STORY.

I would bet something that they already have more prototypes lying around somewhere than one would ever believe...
and each can surely be modified/customized to a certain point - in a breeze...

if decision goes final. there is no more planning. blueprints can be modular too.

If you think adding something or leaving something out of such a product actually is a matter of a week or so,
you have made a pretty good guess.

Just take the NFC in the K-1...
It was said to be built in ... but in the very last moments before it was released to the markets or so... they kicked it out because most of the public reviewers they gave it to for reviewing, said that it doesnt mean anything to them.

zip. 2 weeks ... NFC - GONE.

Just ask Philippe Ylan from France... I believe he had a pre-production K-1 for reviewing(before its release and full-on-production of course)
and there were more adjustments made "last minute" than one would believe... for instance also the NFC module...

Wake up!! Its still MORE THAN HALF A YEAR till the release of the K-3II follow up for sure... Thats PLENTY of time.
So why the h.. dont make anymore suggestions or close this thread?
Before I retired I did spend some time in product development and assembly line design, the former at a US "defense contractor". Both processes were more complex and took more time than I would have ever thought. Before a camera is announced, they will already want to have it in, or close to, production so they can start actually selling them in a reasonably short period of time. Before they start production, they have to design, build, and debug the production line {apparently the latter was a big holdup with the DFA* 50}. Before they can design the production line, they need to have the product completely designed, and a few prototypes constructed and tested. This takes a lot longer than you would think ..... and there are many here who don't want to envision K-3 replacement announcement dragging after CP+.

09-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #1640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Where do you see that the K-70 has been discontinued?

Pentax K-70 DSLR Camera Body with Accessory Kit (Black) B&H
Pentax K70 is more in the price of medium end cameras like the Nikon D5500 or D5600, and mid Canons, etc.. The K-s2 is what I was thinking about while making my statement. Of course, with price drops, the K70 is a great and affordable camera and one I would gladly recommend it way over any of the beginner cameras like the Nikon D3400 and Canon Rebels, but it is still several hundred dollars costlier these entry level Nikons and Canons with kit lenses and needs jpeg settings to be tweaked for best results.
09-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #1641
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
(...) I'm not sure what to make of the fact that "K-3 Replacement" is never mentioned in the published story about the PF meeting with Ricoh folk.
Oh they answered somehow; the Japanese way but they did.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
At this point no new 645 lenses are planned; RICOH is monitoring the market situation for medium format with regards to mirrorless versus optical viewfinder. Given the advantage in image quality medium format will continue to be supported in one form or another.

RICOH feels that there will be a market for cameras with an optical viewfinder in the K-mount arena for many years to come, because many photographers prefer an optical viewfinder. DSLRs and mirrorless each have their strong points, and RICOH is closely watching the mirrorless market and studying how users want to use their cameras and which features they expect. At this point RICOH has not decided if they will add mirrorless cameras to the product lineup, but they don't exclude anything. The deliberations regarding mirrorless also cover the 645 format and decisions made could vary by format. The focus is on how the photographers want to use their cameras and what they expect from them; this will drive decisions about format (APS-C/FF/645) and type of camera technology for future products.
In this quite balanced statement concerning mirrorless versus reflex cameras, note the difference between Pentax K and Pentax 645 ('decisions made could vary by format'):
  • Pentax 645: 'no new 645 lenses' + 'medium format will continue to be supported in one form or another' ==> this give the impression that mirrorless 645 is very seriously considered
  • Pentax K: 'there will be a market for cameras with an optical viewfinder in the K-mount arena for many years to come' even though 'RICOH has not decided if they will add mirrorless cameras to the product lineup'; 'they don't exclude anything' ==> this gives the impression they still favour reflex cameras for small formats (APS-C and 24x36).

In the end 'how the photographers want to use their cameras and what they expect from them (...) will drive decisions about format (APS-C/FF/645) and type of camera technology for future products' and 'decisions made could vary by format'.

In other words, don't take for granted that Pentax will forever offer simultaneously a high-end 24x36 reflex camera (K-1 II currently) and a high-end APS-C reflex camera (K-3 II currently).

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-28-2018 at 12:00 PM.
09-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #1642
PDL
Pentaxian

Where is my beer bottle opener.

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
snip
As i explained before... I am into this Thumbstick thing, because I think it will help many users...
not because of my ego...
I already told you that i dont identify with forum accounts... Doing so for sure is not a healthy thing BTW.

And i will not discuss on this forum any further around the logic behind a thumbstick because i see at the moment it doesnt make much sense
Its very much the same when some people said we need a full-frame...

I would love to go back in time and read again how many people came up with such odd arguments against FF.

The very same people now love their full frame and every wheel it has.

... So my suggestion is, lets forget that Thumbstick. you dont need it anyway.
... get my point?

Actually I did not want to answer any more... But since Jerling said, as long as we consolidate our positions without insulting each other in a grown-up manner everythings fine... so lets see how long that works.

snip
I have suggested that Pentax cameras "have to have a beer bottle opener" for the sake of the community since the K-10D days. I still use Pentax cameras and my request has been made mute by beer bottles with twist off caps.

Here is a suggestion, start a go-fund-me joystick add on adapter for K-1x cameras (and maybe other brands) and see what kind of response "the community" gives you. The market place would then determine the validity of your arguments. (By the way, I use back button focus and other buttons with lightweight running gloves without too much issue. Plus there are finger tip less gloves for even colder weather Photography Gloves | B&H Photo Video)

09-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #1643
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about a "need" to keep this thread alive. We all know that there are some here who are desperate for news about a K-3 replacement, but if they added any new features to the camera at this point, that would just move it back in time .... and I'm not sure what to make of the fact that "K-3 Replacement" is never mentioned in the published story about the PF meeting with Ricoh folk.
Yup. The next event is CP+ 2019. I guess we'll see what Ricoh has been up to then.
09-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #1644
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

In other words, don't take for granted that Pentax will forever offer simultaneously a high-end 24x36 reflex camera (K-1 II currently) and a high-end APS-C reflex camera (K-3 II currently).
I have not taken that for granted since last CP+, which was the wake-up call for me.
Emotions put aside, realistically I only dare to call one group safe at current Pentax/Ricoh: FF K-mount users.

Chris
09-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #1645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They didn't mention it at all in the interview
I just reread the interview four times and there was not even a question about the K-3II replacement! Very curious since it was probably the number one question that many have wanted answers to. Wonder whats going on here?
09-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #1646
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I just reread the interview four times and there was not even a question about the K-3II replacement! Very curious since it was probably the number one question that many have wanted answers to. Wonder whats going on here?
And yet they had one on display? Yeah right.
Name one manufacturer that displays a device that is no longer in production and one that major suppliers do not have in stock.
09-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #1647
Pentaxian

At least 50% of the posters on that thread wanted to know what was going on with the K-3II replacement. According to the prior CP+ interview, it's coming. We just don't know when. My guess is that it might appear around the same time that the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 lens is released, but then again, this is Ricoh we're talking about here. Hahaha!
09-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #1648
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Pentax K70 is more in the price of medium end cameras like the Nikon D5500 or D5600, and mid Canons, etc.. The K-s2 is what I was thinking about while making my statement. Of course, with price drops, the K70 is a great and affordable camera and one I would gladly recommend it way over any of the beginner cameras like the Nikon D3400 and Canon Rebels, but it is still several hundred dollars costlier these entry level Nikons and Canons with kit lenses and needs jpeg settings to be tweaked for best results.
The K-70 was released before Pentax announced their aspiration to become a "quality" brand and the KP was announced after. I don't know whether Pentax makes much, or even any, money on bottom-of-the-line products. My thought when the KP was announced was that Pentax might not compete for bottom-of-the-line anymore ..... that KP might be as low as they plan to go in the future.
09-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #1649
Pentaxian

I reread the interview, then rewrote my post, at least four times before I settled on this very neutral comment.
09-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #1650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reread the interview, then rewrote my post, at least four times before I settled on this very neutral comment.
What???? No opinion on whats going on? That's not like you
Closed Thread