Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #1651
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
And yet they had one on display? Yeah right.
I think it's interesting they had a K-3II on display.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but... If they had no plans at all to further develop the APS-C line, I think they'd have only shown the current products - K-1II for full frame, KP and K70 for APS-C. The fact that the K-3II was on display, plus the interview question Ricoh answered previously where they said the K-3 line would continue, suggests to me that they expect to fill that position in the line-up with something new. It also suggests that it's some way off... nowhere near even prototype stage; but who knows? Sometime in 2019, hopefully? Everyone else is at liberty to believe what they like, but I currently choose to believe it's coming, eventually :)

In my view, if indeed they do intend to produce a replacement for the K-3II, they'd have been better off displaying a non-specific 3D-printed or injection molded blank at the show instead of the K-3II. Something non-specific to show that a camera is coming, but the form isn't yet known. That might have put a more positive spin and some excitement on things. Still, they have their reasons, I'm sure.

I've now learned from @reh321 (thank you!) that the K-3II apparently wasn't on display. It was a mistake in the article

Name one manufacturer that displays a device that is no longer in production and one that major suppliers do not have in stock.
Pentax :lol:

You've got to love 'em. Like it or not, they certainly have their own way of doing things :p

In light of the above, no-one

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-28-2018 at 03:24 PM.
09-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #1652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears that the KP perhaps IS the successor....... ? maybe?
09-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #1653
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
It appears that the KP perhaps IS the successor....... ? maybe?
With the size queue it has????

Initially, I thought perhaps K-1 was the "flagship", but its frame-rate is pathetic.
09-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #1654
Pentaxian

And yet they had one on display? Yeah right.
Name one manufacturer that displays a device that is no longer in production and one that major suppliers do not have in stock.
Someone who has actually visited the display said the K-3ii report was false!!!

Last edited by reh321; 09-28-2018 at 03:04 PM.
09-28-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #1655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
if indeed they do intend to produce a replacement for the K-3II, they'd have been better off displaying a non-specific 3D-printed or injection molded blank at the show instead of the K-3II.
I have to say showing a product at a major trade show that your own website indicates is discontinued is, well, strange to say the least. It really shows to me that Ricoh is not in any sense a consumer products company. If that were a business trade show for copiers, yeah maybe that would be fine. And that is at least a big part of the issues we see complained about on this forum daily. Their marketing department is used to dealing with slow turn over business to business products, Not consumer items. If we view their marketing from that mind set, it sort of makes sense. Maybe.......

We also have to keep in mind that things change. Just because they said something last spring does not mean that is still true. That is just business. If the numbers change before a product is too far down the development road it gets canceled. Businesses sometimes make large strategic changes that affect things in strange ways.

I just wish Ricoh would communicate a little bit about their future intentions. I understand why they don't but it makes it difficult to make buying decisions when there is so much uncertainty about what if any products will be available next year or the year after.
09-28-2018, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1656
Pentaxian

K-3ii Is Not On Display!!!!

I think it's interesting they had a K-3II on display.
look at

Photokina 2018 Q&A - What would you ask Ricoh? - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
After reading the article on the front page, I have a new question: the Pentax K-3 II is discontinued. Why is it on display in your booth as a current product?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sigh... It's not on display. The article is wrong.

They have the Theta, 645z, K-1 II, KP, K-70 and the GR.
09-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #1657
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Their marketing department is used to dealing with slow turn over business to business products, Not consumer items. If we view their marketing from that mind set, it sort of makes sense. Maybe.......
We also have to keep in mind that things change. Just because they said something last spring does not mean that is still true. That is just business. If the numbers change before a product is too far down the development road it gets canceled. Businesses sometimes make large strategic changes that affect things in strange ways.
I just wish Ricoh would communicate a little bit about their future intentions. I understand why they don't but it makes it difficult to make buying decisions when there is so much uncertainty about what if any products will be available next year or the year after.
Good post. I concur fully.

As both a contributing member and moderator, I try to keep things reasonable and in perspective, and I don't get too wound up over things - but even I can understand why people would appreciate more communication from Ricoh

I do hope they release a K-3II replacement, and I think they're missing a big trick if they don't... Fingers crossed that they have it all under control

09-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #1658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't been following the show, I'm wondering if there DA* 11-18 2.8 is there. If it is then that may be a good sign.
09-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #1659
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Doh!! Thanks for that!!

And I'm usually so good at checking internet news stories before I believe them.... <sigh>
09-28-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #1660
Banned

Photos: Gallery
If we only would have a picture of the shelf those camera's where on display......

Didn't someone brought his smartphone to Photokina?
09-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #1661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I haven't been following the show, I'm wondering if there DA* 11-18 2.8 is there. If it is then that may be a good sign.
No. Not even the mock-up previously shown.
09-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #1662
Pentaxian

Good post. I concur fully.

As both a contributing member and moderator, I try to keep things reasonable and in perspective, and I don't get too wound up over things - but even I can understand why people would appreciate more communication from Ricoh

I do hope they release a K-3II replacement, and I think they're missing a big trick if they don't... Fingers crossed that they have it all under control
I know that assuming gets one into trouble, but I assume @Adam; has to agree to some kind of 'censorship' of questions in order to interview Ricoh (*) - so at the moment I'm not mad at him over the missing "future of K-3ii" question .... but it was a real blunder of Ricoh to exclude any mention of that anywhere.

(*) I usually attribute management to 'Pentax', but I'm intentionally making an exception in this case.

Mr Moderator: I do try to avoid direct criticism of of Ricoh/Pentax, but I just can't help it in this case. I will understand if you need to tone it down.
09-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #1663
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Still, one question left that only the interviewer(s) can answer: why did they not ask about the state of a K3 successor/aka new APSC flagship, when this was obviously one of thé crucial questions to ask.
Did Ricoh trick them(him) into their style of non-communication somehow? Or did Ricoh negotiate silence over some info not meant to be out in the open? Such as: "we've put that one on hold."
What a bucket full of mysterious silence. Think I'll re-watch some of the Sony press stuff to get some of the Photokina buzz back....
09-28-2018, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I honestly find it very hard to believe they won't. And 3 months ago I would have said of course they will. But right now there is just a small seed of doubt.

The case for:
- they have announced a new DA*11-18
- APS-C cameras like the k-7, k-5 and k-3 have been their bread and butter for a long time
- FF is great, and greatly appreciated, but not for everyone. So if you do not need a K-1 but want a 'pro' level camera what do you buy?
- Current APS-C offerings are nice but not really in any sense a prosumer body
- k-1 is an amazing landscape camera but the real hole in the Pentax line is a prosumer sports / wildlife body. And that would almost certainly be APS-C

The case against:
- Nikon & Canon and Fuji have all made recent introductions that change the game
- Pentax is a teeny, tiny part of Ricoh. Do they really care if Pentax cameras continue?
- The camera market continues to shrink and without large dollars to spend on R&D and especially marketing maybe it is time to just hang it up
- Theta seems to be doing well. And now we have announced a new GR. Maybe DSLRs are done and the future is Ricoh, not Pentax
- At some point the volume sold drops below economic viability. It takes a lot to keep manufacturing, R&D, support, marketing and service going. Maybe we have reached that point.
09-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #1665
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I know that assuming gets one into trouble, but I assume @Adam; has to agree to some kind of 'censorship' of questions in order to interview Ricoh (*) - so at the moment I'm not mad at him over the missing "future of K-3ii" question .... but it was a real blunder of Ricoh to exclude any mention of that anywhere.

(*) I usually attribute management to 'Pentax', but I'm intentionally making an exception in this case.
Yeah, I agree completely. I support @Adam fully, and the reason I give my time up to moderate these forums is because I place so much personal value on them, and I can see how valuable they are to other Pentax enthusiasts. But I too wish there had been some interview discussion about the K-3II replacement, and I'm confused as to why that didn't come up. I will come clean and say I know nothing more than you on the matter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Mr Moderator: I do try to avoid direct criticism of of Ricoh/Pentax, but I just can't help it in this case. I will understand if you need to tone it down.
Criticism of the brand is fine, so long as it's not mocking and/or brand-bashing, and is respectful of the fact that this is primarily a Pentax enthusiast website. Most times, it's the manner of people's criticism that's the issue, not the criticism itself. I've never known you to be anything other than constructive. Nothing to tone down here
Closed Thread