Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #1756
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
I have a XEON 8-core (means 16-effective cores...) with DDR4 ram ... and the K-1 pictures... put quite a load on my machine...
No chance on running lots of other programs in the background... even a few tabs open in firefox and youtube running for music in BG, pretty soon show what such big RAW-files do to the speed of your workstation...
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm going a little off-topic here, but thought this worth digging into just a little...

All my raw development and post-processing work is done on my 2013 HP ENVY 17" laptop with i7-4700MQ processor (4 cores @ 2.4GHz / 8 threads), 16GB RAM and GeForce 940M graphics. For a laptop, it's a pretty quick machine - still decent by today's standards. Previously, I used Windows 10 as my OS, with Lightroom 6 (stand-alone) for raw development and the Google Nik suite for additional processing, with occasional further editing with PhotoShop Elements. Some months ago I finally made the switch (after much side-by-side testing) to Linux Mint 18.3 and Cinnamon desktop, with digiKam, Darktable and GIMP, plus a few plug-ins for the latter. I usually have Firefox browser plus uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere open with between four and eight active tabs, sometimes more... I often have BBC Radio 4 playing (via BBC's iPlayer streaming) while I work. On my old Windows setup, I also had Avast Antivirus running constantly.

I don't own a K-1 or K-1II... the highest resolution cameras I own are my K-3, K-3II, Hasselblad HV and Sony A7 MkII. All have 24MP sensors. But I've processed lots of K-1 and K-1II files to learn about the image quality and test how they respond to noise reduction, shadow and highlight recovery, and other aspects. On my laptop, both using my old Windows / Lightroom or my current (and faster) Linux Mint / digiKam / Darktable setups, I've had no problems whatsoever with system performance when working with the 36MP files. Exports to full size TIFF and JPEG take a little longer than I'm used to, but still quite acceptable. I'm wondering how much difference 42MP files would make?
I have an older Windows 10 Pro 64-bit laptop, Intel Core i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.3GHz, 8GB Ram and an NVIDIA Quatro 4000M Video and it runs perfectly fine with Lightroom. What it won't do is stitch 6x K-1 files in Lightroom, but other than that, all functions work perfectly and no delays. Image Composite Editor is happy to do the stitch for me.

Apart from the stitching issue, the jump in file size from the K-5 to the K-1 has made no noticeable difference. The stitching issue may be due to some other factor, but I suspect that is a file size issue. But I've not dug deeper to see if I can solve it.

09-30-2018, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #1757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've had no problems whatsoever with system performance when working with the 36MP files.
I will back you up on that. Not sure what software H.Abendsen is using but I have no issues with K-1 files, including 150mb pixel shift files. I have a newer computer than you, built it last January I think, but nothing really special. Certainly not server level hardware like he has.

I usually have both PS and LR open as well as Outlook, and Firefox with 10 to 15 tabs open. Currently processing K-1 images with all that open plus a 3D drafting program and there is no lag or hesitation in LR. Maybe the Xeon is the problem, we use that for server hardware at work but not usually for workstations. Maybe it is not optimized for image manipulation?
09-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #1758
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My actual level of interest would depend on pricing {and I would have to think about each, so I can't assign a $ amount right now}

* KP level camera using Samsung components

* K-02 {with EVF}

* 24mp FF camera

* KAF4 18-something lens
The problem is, as I read the reports from Photokina, they didn't even promise to keep an APS line. How can a reasonably conservative / cautious person like me spend on APS right now if they might release a series of truly wonderful FF bodies next year, and it turns out that we have reached the end of their APS lines??
So, you'll have to wait some more for a K-3iii (or whatever it's going to be called), if you want an upgraded APS-C camera.

But, if you're in the market for FF, why 24mp? What's wrong with the K-1?
09-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #1759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, you'll have to wait some more for a K-3iii (or whatever it's going to be called), if you want an upgraded APS-C camera.

But, if you're in the market for FF, why 24mp? What's wrong with the K-1?
Right now, I'm thinking of a KP ..... but I might get something much better if Pentax would adapt Samsung technology. Looking at prices on other brands, a 24mp might put FF within my price range.

09-30-2018, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #1760
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Right now, I'm thinking of a KP ..... but I might get something much better if Pentax would adapt Samsung technology. Looking at prices on other brands, a 24mp might put FF within my price range.
That Samsung rumor is a hoax.
10-01-2018, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #1761
Pentaxian

I was already waiting for the successor of the K3ii last year, I have some money waiting to be used on a store but I have to use it now or I loose it, so it will go elsewhere.

The KP would have been a good starting technology, correcting its errors :
- the grip is not good, even the big one is too small (and I have small hands !)
- the battery is too small
- the buffer is too small, I have to wait when shooting wild animals that are going away...
- and I'd rather have the GPS already in the body

I tend to think it would not have been that difficult to make that in a "K3" body with tilting screen as in the KP, the technology of the KP exists, just add some memory buffer, the body would allow for the same battery than the K3 and have already a good grip, the principal change would be the tilting screen.
10-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #1762
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like there may be some good news on the APS-C front for 2019, according to this German interview: 46 min Interview with Ricoh's Mr. Baus (in German) from Photokina 2018 - PentaxForums.com

10-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #1763
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Maybe they just want to sell more KP cameras before making any announcement? They probably have a huge stockpile and would prefer to see this come down first.
Of course, Pentax wants to sell more KP (but Swedish Importer (for Sweden, Norway, Finaland and more) only had K1 and lenses on display to show at the fair in Mars, I asked for KP and have only one try with the smallest grip).
I do not think Ricoh has a check on the market (but Pentax probably has).
But as in big companies (Ricoh) small player (Pentax) donīt have to says anything.
KP looks like a mirrorless test of the market.
If K3 IV instead of KP had come in time, some had bought the camera, instead of buying other brands.
I did not go to Photokina this year, I'm probably there in May next year.
Pentax is just one of those showcases I will visit.
I do not have much hope anymore.
Today it says 2017 or later on the 645 lens road map. ....
What is Fuji thinking about it?
Q is dead.
My Dad became 59 years old, my grandfather did not get older, now I'm 63.
I'm not going to buy a new system now, and i donīt have the money.
Maybe I buy a K3IV (if it comes) and a DFA70.200 / 4 might replace my F70-210 / 4.5.6.
That's all I see it now
Otherwise, I'm finished (now) with lenses/cameras as Ricoh is?.
This seems pessimistic, but what does Q system users think?
What do 645 users think of 645 roadmap?
What does APS users think about the roadmap and new camera?
10-01-2018, 07:48 AM - 3 Likes   #1764
Pentaxian

Everyone asking for a Pentax K3 III reminds me of all the crying made by Nikonians waiting for a successor to the D300s. The D500 eventually came but it took SEVEN years.

It was clear that:

1) Nikon considered "serious" use of the APS-C/DX format to be dead - full frame was the real deal
2) The market agreed, as most sales were of entry-level APS-C, and pro sales moving almost entirely to full frame
3) The niche who wanted a "flagship DX" camera were small but vocal. They have real reason to want it, but they are in a really small minority, dedicated to birds-in-flight and similar small subsets of photography.

I bet Pentax sees the same thing. Now that most of the pro/serious market is served by the K1, and they offer VERY good entry level and mid-level APS cameras, the number of purchasers for a "flagship" APS-C camera has to be vanishingly small.

(My position is also coloured by having recently handled a KP. With a few tiny quibbles, this camera is "flagship quality." It clearly has 80% DNA from the K7/K5/K3 line.)
10-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #1765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Everyone asking for a Pentax K3 III reminds me of all the crying made by Nikonians waiting for a successor to the D300s. The D500 eventually came but it took SEVEN years.
Nikon users tell me that they get much better images from FF ..... even when they have to crop. That may be what Pentax was thinking when they released the K-1, but their users weren't interested in going back to 16mp.
10-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #1766
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Ok, that tells me what I need to know......thanks Adam

Alright people, figure this one out. It should be pretty clear what a no answer means.
Not clear to me.

Most likely the former K-3 replacement is on hold ...... but what are they doing?

* Maybe a whole line of APS cameras based on Samsung technology, including a K-3 replacement
* Maybe a series of 24mp FF cameras to replace KP and K-3
* Maybe ????
10-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #1767
Veteran Member

Why is this Samsung tech nonsense keeping popping up.
10-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #1768
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Why is this Samsung tech nonsense keeping popping up.
it is one of the rumors floating around.
If Ricoh won't give us information, rumors will rule.
Do you have another rumor that makes Ricoh look better??
10-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #1769
Veteran Member

it is one of the rumors floating around.
If Ricoh won't give us information, rumors will rule.
Do you have another rumor that makes Ricoh look better??
Nope,
But there isnt any Samsung tech. That rumor is just a hoax. Not even a rumor
10-01-2018, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #1770
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nikon users tell me that they get much better images from FF ..... even when they have to crop. That may be what Pentax was thinking when they released the K-1, but their users weren't interested in going back to 16mp.
The D850 is the king of the hill for image quality and basically functions as a D500 when cropped. In situations when you aren't reach limited, there is also amazing image quality and high resolution. I can't justify the extra cost since I only use my Nikon for wildlife, but if I had unlimited funds I would have skipped the D500.

If the K1 had a better buffer and faster FPS shooting it would make a good substitute for a K3 series camera for a lot of people. The other issue (to me) is that the modern lenses are relatively expensive for the K1 and this could be a barrier for a lot of APS-C Pentax shooters.
Closed Thread