Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #1786
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It’s hard to know who to believe, if anyone.
ABC rule

Assume nothing

Believe NO one

Confirm everything

10-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #1787
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nature abhors a vacuum, and in this case rumors will fill the void left by Ricoh; many of the rumors will turn out to be false, but you can't beat "little" with "nothing", and these rumors do give people mental objects to manipulate while waiting for some actual facts.
Well.. true...
Even using this "ancient" sensor, Pentax could improve their product. Add in the processor using in the MX500, and Pentax could finally provide the video everyone has been asking for - all at no design cost. I don't believe Samsung would refuse "easy money" like this, and Pentax would not refuse the improvements. Switching hardware like this actually provides an explanation for why the "facts" reported by Ricoh have changed.
I was thinking more in line - why would Samsung sell their sensors only to Pentax. If there is a market for Samsung sensors, Samsung would make sure other buy their sensors too. And that is just a sensor. Pentax has some issues, but lack of good imaging sensors isnt one of them.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,IF it is?Then thats not a normal $$$ony way of doing business.They havent in the past given a direct competitor their latest tech.
Yeh they did - Nikon. Besides, Sony doesnt seem to really care about their APS-C cameras - the lack of good crop lenses only confirms that thought.
10-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #1788
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The KP looks solid in comparison. Lenses are coming in way to slow to give any confidence however.
I forgot about the IBIS... Cameras launching NOW are IBIS firsts for several large brands and it's users are considering it a serious feature. It's old news for us along with pixelshift.
10-01-2018, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #1789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
The D850 is the king of the hill for image quality and basically functions as a D500 when cropped. In situations when you aren't reach limited, there is also amazing image quality and high resolution. I can't justify the extra cost since I only use my Nikon for wildlife, but if I had unlimited funds I would have skipped the D500.

If the K1 had a better buffer and faster FPS shooting it would make a good substitute for a K3 series camera for a lot of people. The other issue (to me) is that the modern lenses are relatively expensive for the K1 and this could be a barrier for a lot of APS-C Pentax shooters.
The only problems I have with the K-1 is that it's too big/heavy and too expensive. Even if the frame rate and buffering and resolution are increased so that in crop mode it matches the K-3ii, those would still be problems. Same if they came out with a 24MP FF. But maybe Pentax doesn't care about people like me.

10-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #1790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
OH,didnt they?????

Samsung came out and publicly stated they wanted to sell sensors for cameras,they saw Sony having all the market(apart from Canon) and wanted a slice.It was late last year or early this year.

The "rumour" is from Korean sites,I suppose Samsung being Korean might have something to do with that.

Its either true or not...50/50,Fuji was linked in the same rumour.Their latest body features a BSI sensor from a unconfirmed source.Samsung has been known to make those sensors.

If Ricoh does have a sensor + processor from Samsung(?) its a good thing.
Pentax did use a Samsung sensor at one time, for the K-20D and K-7. The Sony sensor was far superior as proved by the K-5.

Pentax has learned how to get the best from the Sony sensors, I would not automatically assume that a Samsung sensor would be an improvement.
10-01-2018, 02:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not clear to me.

Most likely the former K-3 replacement is on hold ...... but what are they doing?

* Maybe a whole line of APS cameras based on Samsung technology, including a K-3 replacement
* Maybe a series of 24mp FF cameras to replace KP and K-3
* Maybe ????
OK here is my take on all of this. Usually when people want to keep something a secret they will duck answering you right out with a no or yes answer or the answer will be a non answer like the Ricoh Rep gave. So the obfuscation by Ricoh Reps tells me there is something going on that they can't reveal at the moment and what I think is going on is a new high spec APSC body that will be introduced next year, hopefully early. If nothing were going on I think he would have said so and dropped it.

24mp FF is to me not something that will not happen simply because there are so many Pentax APSC users out here with crop lens who would like an upgraded APSC DSLR plus Ricoh/Pentax doesn't want to dilute the K-1 sales and the upgrade path from APSC to FF would be destroyed. So in my not so humble opinion there will be an APSC DSLR (not KP) sometime in 2019.

YMMV
10-01-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #1792
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The only problems I have with the K-1 is that it's too big/heavy and too expensive. Even if the frame rate and buffering and resolution are increased so that in crop mode it matches the K-3ii, those would still be problems. Same if they came out with a 24MP FF. But maybe Pentax doesn't care about people like me.
Itīs a FF, so itīs more expensive and bigger than a APS.
I do not think Pentax thought about crop mode when they decided which sensor they would choose.
For me, K1 works well, but it takes time to process, and for example wedding photographers it's a no no no.
So why a K1II, and not a K1 super with a fast processor and for 3000 €?
K1 does not need a new sensor, but a faster processor.

10-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #1793
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
OK here is my take on all of this. Usually when people want to keep something a secret they will duck answering you right out with a no or yes answer or the answer will be a non answer like the Ricoh Rep gave. So the obfuscation by Ricoh Reps tells me there is something going on that they can't reveal at the moment and what I think is going on is a new high spec APSC body that will be introduced next year, hopefully early. If nothing were going on I think he would have said so and dropped it.
I hope you are right, for the sake of all the users waiting for a K-3 replacement - but I remain surprised by their unwillingness to remind Adam of their CP+ answer.
10-01-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #1794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
The words from @asahiman are the only reason I would think full-frame - he is the one person who was right in advance of Photokina. I'm not a camera engineer, but purely as an amateur at this, I don't know of any reason a FF camera would have to be significantly larger than the corresponding APS camera - the sensor is not a large part of the overall device - and film cameras of the 1980's were quite svelte. When I think "FF", I think of cameras that result from modifying a KP or a K-3ii by using a 24mp FF sensor to replace the 24mp APS sensor; that should allow virtually the same frame rate and buffer length that the original camera had, and at a price just a few hundred above the original camera's .... but lenses would be an issue. I've been expecting Pentax to insert one FF 'below' the K-1 and one 'above' {looking at resolution}. If we are honest, none of us really matters to Pentax .... they seem to make decisions on how the homeland will respond, and I have absolutely no idea what that would suggest.
10-01-2018, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #1795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you are right, for the sake of all the users waiting for a K-3 replacement - but I remain surprised by their unwillingness to remind Adam of their CP+ answer.
I would wager that he couldn't even remember what he said to Adam at CP+2018
10-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #1796
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
So why a K1II, and not a K1 super with a fast processor and for 3000 €?
K1 does not need a new sensor, but a faster processor.
Actually I am with you, but there is no question why a K-1II ...
It's already here and everybody cried out sooo loud for handheld Pixelshift and exactly that is what the Mark II follow up brought to the K-1 platform. And why it is here.
(Though talking for my part, I never asked for baked-in star eating NR reduction no one can turn off in firmware... But for some that can also be considered an upgrade since if you don't use your cam for Astro it's actually nice to have when shooting street with the FA 43mm LTD.)

Its the same as it was with the K-3II upgrade, which "just" added Pixelshift and GPS.
K-5II "just" added an option for another body without lowpass. And added gapless display plus just a bit better Autofocus to both of those bodies.
The Mark II upgrade on the K-1 "behaves" in the same way.

If you say K-1S that would be a whole other camera.
And the thing is, that CPU upgrade alone can not up the game of the sensor...
So believe it or not, you would need some other sensor whose on-sensor ADB circuitry can deliver data as fast as the processor can process | respectively as fast as the hooked up BUS can transport it.
I am against brand-mania and since that is so, I couldn't care less who produces a capable sensor that would fit our demands.

But one has to admit that Samsung for sure is capable of producing such sensors.
And especially interested in only selling the best and capable hardware to it's partners especially because they are no more in direct competition to PENTAX or other makers they sell that stuff to, since they stopped producing own interchangabe-lens-cameras.
And if you look at everything that RICOH does and how big the company is, they could even set up a department to produce darn sensors by themselves...
But why bother when you are off way better if someone else produces the sensor for you?

But it is really very likely that PENTAX bought some kind of Samsung package...(sensor + Mainboard from either NX1, NX500 or NX1II-prototype) to pack it into a DSLR.
And that we will see a 28MP APS-C flagship somewhen next year.
Hopefully with a thumbstick.
10-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #1797
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I would wager that he couldn't even remember what he said to Adam at CP+2018
If I were a betting man, I would wager that he studied interviews from CP+ 2016-18 and then studied a page of likely questions with the agreed-to responses .... like preparing for a U,S. political debate.
10-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #1798
Forum Member

I also find the size and weight of the K-1 fitting my needs and balancing well with High-Quality lenses...
On the crop bodies, on which I liked the button-wheel-display layout much more, I always had to put a finger under the bottom of the cam when holding it.. but the K-1 is sized and shaped like it's molded to my hands.
10-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #1799
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
I also find the size and weight of the K-1 fitting my needs and balancing well with High-Quality lenses...
On the crop bodies, on which I liked the button-wheel-display layout much more, I always had to put a finger under the bottom of the cam when holding it.. but the K-1 is sized and shaped like it's molded to my hands.
When I learned photography, I was taught to put my thumb under the camera and press against it with my forefinger on the shutter button to get a smooth stable photo. Grabbing a modern grip doesn't feel right to me.
10-01-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #1800
Veteran Member

Why not having some kind of poll that we all could answer to :

- Using Pentax FF and I am only interested in ML or another FF development
- Using Pentax FF and interested in a top APSC as a second body
- Using some Pentax APSC and interested in top APSC as a flagship body
- Using Pentax FF or APSC and NO interest in any additional purchase anytime soon
- Using a KP and I am so delighted that I plan to use it until the end of times

When we reach 10000 votes we send the finding to some Ricoh exec...
Closed Thread