Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 04:36 PM - 3 Likes   #1801
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
.... I'm not a camera engineer, but purely as an amateur at this, I don't know of any reason a FF camera would have to be significantly larger than the corresponding APS camera - the sensor is not a large part of the overall device - and film cameras of the 1980's were quite svelte. When I think "FF", I think of cameras that result from modifying a KP or a K-3ii by using a 24mp FF sensor to replace the 24mp APS sensor....
It's not really possible to reduce the size very much below that of the K-1. The K-1's mirror box is quite a bit bigger than the K-3's mirror box. As for the rest, it's packed pretty full inside. The only possibility for size reduction would be a smaller grip (sacrificing battery size - and I don't think there would be many takers for that idea as the K-1 is power hungry as it is) and going to a more conventional or fixed rear screen which will reduce the depth of the screen assembly.

The grip on the K-1 is beautifully shaped. But, I'd still like to get the battery grip as I have larger hands and like to hold onto more camera, not less!

10-01-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #1802
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Why not having some kind of poll that we all could answer to :

- Using Pentax FF and I am only interested in ML or another FF development
- Using Pentax FF and interested in a top APSC as a second body
- Using some Pentax APSC and interested in top APSC as a flagship body
- Using Pentax FF or APSC and NO interest in any additional purchase anytime soon
- Using a KP and I am so delighted that I plan to use it until the end of times

When we reach 10000 votes we send the finding to some Ricoh exec...
Feel free to set it up. The forum allows poll creation. But, you're unlikely to get more than a few hundred replies - if past polls are anything to go by.
10-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #1803
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's not really possible to reduce the size very much below that of the K-1.
As full-frame DSLRs go, I think the K-1 must be the smallest... or certainly one of the smallest. On it's own, it's not that much more of a handful than a K-3. It's the fast full-frame zoom lenses that turn it into a monster, but that's the case with every other brand's full-frame DSLRs too
10-01-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #1804

the problem for Pentax (and I love them) is thatthe competition keeps giving more and more and more and more ....

for example, I have been lusting after a Sony A73 for a while, however they have anncounced that they are bringing 'animal eye focus' to their current line up. If it's as good as their 'person' eye focus then that is a reason to dump Pentax on the spot (for me)- they will never, ever be as good as Sony.

I am really sad to say, but I know that in 5 years time, Pentax won't be able to focus on my house as well as any other camera can do ...... I love the Pentax output, as we all do, but no one buys into that because of the 1 in 10 images we get. If pentax can up their game to be a 7 out of 10 then maybe

It isnt' going to happen tough is it

10-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #1805
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were a betting man, I would wager that he studied interviews from CP+ 2016-18 and then studied a page of likely questions with the agreed-to responses .... like preparing for a U,S. political debate.
You've been watching too much lawyerly politics lately!
10-01-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #1806
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You've been watching too much lawyerly politics lately!
Law and Order CVU (Camera Victims Unit)
10-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #1807
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Why not having some kind of poll that we all could answer to :

- Using Pentax FF and I am only interested in ML or another FF development
- Using Pentax FF and interested in a top APSC as a second body
- Using some Pentax APSC and interested in top APSC as a flagship body
- Using Pentax FF or APSC and NO interest in any additional purchase anytime soon
- Using a KP and I am so delighted that I plan to use it until the end of times

When we reach 10000 votes we send the finding to some Ricoh exec...
Perhaps the kind of poll needed is not what camera do you want but what type of photography do you do. People may say they want something but will it actually benifet there style of photography. If the answer is no they are unlikely to buy it.

10-01-2018, 07:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1808
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As full-frame DSLRs go, I think the K-1 must be the smallest... or certainly one of the smallest. On it's own, it's not that much more of a handful than a K-3. It's the fast full-frame zoom lenses that turn it into a monster, but that's the case with every other brand's full-frame DSLRs too
You're right Mike.

Here's some examples. It even compares well with some APS-C sensor cameras.
Attached Images

10-01-2018, 07:46 PM - 7 Likes   #1809
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I am really sad to say, but I know that in 5 years time, Pentax won't be able to focus on my house as well as any other camera can do ...... I love the Pentax output, as we all do, but no one buys into that because of the 1 in 10 images we get. If pentax can up their game to be a 7 out of 10 then maybe
With all due respect, but if your keeper rate is 1 in 10, then the problem may not be the camera.
10-01-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #1810
Pentaxian

With all due respect, but if your keeper rate is 1 in 10, then the problem may not be the camera.
With my K-30, I may reject 1/300 photos because of focus - of course, I tend to use aperture values like f/5.6, so I usually have a "comfortable" DOF.
10-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #1811
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With my K-30, I may reject 1/300 photos because of focus - of course, I tend to use aperture values like f/5.6, so I usually have a "comfortable" DOF.
That's pretty impressive!
10-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #1812
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A keeper rate of 1/10 is a dream scenario for me. Of course that mostly applies to birds in flight on burst mode with AF-C, and that would make some of you classify my needs as "special".

They are not, though. BIFs sum up the essence of photography - can't help the fact that you haven't all realised it...
10-02-2018, 02:15 AM   #1813
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
A keeper rate of 1/10 is a dream scenario for me. Of course that mostly applies to birds in flight on burst mode with AF-C, and that would make some of you classify my needs as "special".

They are not, though. BIFs sum up the essence of photography - can't help the fact that you haven't all realised it...
Yeah, OK. BIF is not my thing. I seem to do OK with football players running about.
10-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #1814
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, OK. BIF is not my thing. I seem to do OK with football players running about.
There IS some overlap: Colourful, fast moving things, and the photographer doesn't get to direct the action or call for retakes when the shot failed.

My subjects are a lot prettier and more exciting though. Also smaller and more fast-moving.
10-02-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #1815
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No problems with birds in flight. Not for a couple of decades.
Closed Thread