Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 05:40 PM - 4 Likes   #1846
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,sedans/stationwagons/hatches come with a rear seat...you dont have to travel there!
Speaking of which...

Why does a chicken coop have only 2 doors?

Because if it had four doors it would be a...... chicken sedan!

10-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #1847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I hope you get the camera you've been waiting for very long to receive! A hybrid viewfinder with more focusing aids and the ability to use CDAF to micro adjust lenses for PDAF would be super. You'd get some of the niceties of mirrorless ilcs without having to switch mounts.

I really do hope they update the DA* zooms and some of the cheaper primes that are still on screwdrive sooner than later though. They seem so antiquated today...
Indeed! I think Ricoh is going to go for the gold & probably get some new users too.

I would love to get some updated DA* lenses. I'll definitely be getting that DA* 11-18mm lens if I get the new APS-C flagship.
10-02-2018, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #1848
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well,sedans/stationwagons/hatches come with a rear seat...you dont have to travel there!
True! And yet I've suffered in many a car where the driver's seat does not go back far enough because the designer had to provide some leg room for the rear seat. Every unneeded feature adds costs, or reduces performance, or both.

On-sensor PDAF is bad for image quality and running the sensor full-time for an EVF is bad for image quality.
10-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #1849
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
On-sensor PDAF is bad for image quality and running the sensor full-time for an EVF is bad for image quality.
I don't understand why feeding a signal to EVF would affect image quality.

added: shouldn't that mean that photos taken with LV are lower quality than those taken with OVF?

Last edited by reh321; 10-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.
10-02-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #1850
Veteran Member

True! And yet I've suffered in many a car where the driver's seat does not go back far enough because the designer had to provide some leg room for the rear seat. Every unneeded feature adds costs, or reduces performance, or both.

I haven't noticed any image quality downsides on my K-01.
10-02-2018, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand why feeding a signal to EVF would affect image quality.

added: shouldn't that mean that photos taken with LV are lower quality than those taken with OVF?
Heat! Every 5-8°C of temperature rise in a silicon sensor doubles the noise in the sensor. (That's why astro cameras often have serious cooling systems.)

A DSLR doesn't have power the sensor except for each shot. A MILC runs the sensor all of the time the photographer wants to seen the scene.

added: yes, extended use of liveview will heat up the sensor. (There's a thread on PF somewhere in which someone tested their camera under various hot & cold conditions and the noise differences were noticeable.)
10-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #1852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Buy mirrorless. Only this gives you the best image quality. Oh, wait...
Nikon Z7 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

10-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #1853
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
1) not a traditional DSLR, this could mean:
A)Mirrorless
B) hybrid viewfinder
C) new translucent mirrorless tech
D) B and C

2) high speed and high resolution

3) I hope so
I think it was "Non Traditional DSLR"
10-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #1854
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, all those images made from those sorts of cameras are bad!

Bad for Dslrs because those new systems will reduce the Dslr fraternity to a minority.

Yes, you dont have to believe ME!

However, in a recent PhotoKina interview one commentator being interviewed about a certain new release camera made a statement something like."One of our dealers(Houston,USA) sells more mirrorless gear than Dslr".

The writings on the wall,ha ha.

Another statistic I saw,in Thailand Fuji is the most popular brand.Asian take up of M/L is greater than the Americas and Europe,those people will catch on eventually though.

Ride in the car that feels right!
10-02-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #1855
Pentaxian

Heat! Every 5-8°C of temperature rise in a silicon sensor doubles the noise in the sensor. (That's why astro cameras often have serious cooling systems.)

A DSLR doesn't have power the sensor except for each shot. A MILC runs the sensor all of the time the photographer wants to seen the scene.

added: yes, extended use of liveview will heat up the sensor. (There's a thread on PF somewhere in which someone tested their camera under various hot & cold conditions and the noise differences were noticeable.)
Then Sony is really working miracles. If you list FF cameras by their 'sports' score {which reports highest ISO value where certain measures are achieved, and is highly sensitive to noise}
Camera Database - DxOMark
all of the top five, and six of the top ten, are manufactured by Sony
10-03-2018, 01:22 AM   #1856
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
Actually I am with you, but there is no question why a K-1II ...
It's already here and everybody cried out sooo loud for handheld Pixelshift and exactly that is what the Mark II follow up brought to the K-1 platform. And why it is here.
(Though talking for my part, I never asked for baked-in star eating NR reduction no one can turn off in firmware... But for some that can also be considered an upgrade since if you don't use your cam for Astro it's actually nice to have when shooting street with the FA 43mm LTD.)

Its the same as it was with the K-3II upgrade, which "just" added Pixelshift and GPS.
K-5II "just" added an option for another body without lowpass. And added gapless display plus just a bit better Autofocus to both of those bodies.
The Mark II upgrade on the K-1 "behaves" in the same way.

If you say K-1S that would be a whole other camera.
And the thing is, that CPU upgrade alone can not up the game of the sensor...
So believe it or not, you would need some other sensor whose on-sensor ADB circuitry can deliver data as fast as the processor can process | respectively as fast as the hooked up BUS can transport it.
I am against brand-mania and since that is so, I couldn't care less who produces a capable sensor that would fit our demands.

But one has to admit that Samsung for sure is capable of producing such sensors.
And especially interested in only selling the best and capable hardware to it's partners especially because they are no more in direct competition to PENTAX or other makers they sell that stuff to, since they stopped producing own interchangabe-lens-cameras.
And if you look at everything that RICOH does and how big the company is, they could even set up a department to produce darn sensors by themselves...
But why bother when you are off way better if someone else produces the sensor for you?

But it is really very likely that PENTAX bought some kind of Samsung package...(sensor + Mainboard from either NX1, NX500 or NX1II-prototype) to pack it into a DSLR.
And that we will see a 28MP APS-C flagship somewhen next year.
Hopefully with a thumbstick.
You are right.
I have both Pentax Z1 and Z1P and should know that upgrades to mark II do not be so big.
I submitted my K1 for upgrade, perhaps mostly because I think K1II will get new firmwere in the future.
OK, a K1Super needs a new sensor, then I hope a K1S will be in "100 years" with a ~42MP sensor next year (Pentax needs increased sales).
Current DFA and DFA on the roadmap indicate (there is room for) a K1 for around 3000 €/$ that attracts professionals.

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Agreed. I myself am still waiting for a relatively small, FF lens from any company that is a 14-24mm or 14-28mm F4, with reasonable weight, and WR . Nikon has announced a 14-30mm f4 lens, but someone in the know claims this is a dx lens for a Z5 model, mirrorless camera, with both coming out next year. Frankly, with only astro-photographers really need f2.8 or brighter ultra-wide lenses, but I never have as a mostly daytime, landscape photographer...
DA12-24 then? I think that you can use it from ~16mm.
A used Sigma 12-24/4-5,6?
But no WR.
10-03-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #1857
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
You are right.
I have both Pentax Z1 and Z1P and should know that upgrades to mark II do not be so big.
I submitted my K1 for upgrade, perhaps mostly because I think K1II will get new firmwere in the future.
OK, a K1Super needs a new sensor, then I hope a K1S will be in "100 years" with a ~42MP sensor next year (Pentax needs increased sales).
Current DFA and DFA on the roadmap indicate (there is room for) a K1 for around 3000 €/$ that attracts professionals.

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 10:42 AM ----------

DA12-24 then? I think that you can use it from ~16mm.
A used Sigma 12-24/4-5,6?
But no WR.
A super K1 for 100 Y anniversary would be a mistake from Pentax but plausible, it will accelerate churn of APSC clients who keep waiting for years...
10-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #1858
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
A super K1 for 100 Y anniversary would be a mistake from Pentax but plausible, it will accelerate churn of APSC clients who keep waiting for years...
A K1Super are for the FF line.
It is more likely that a K3Super will be coming next year.
But why not both cameras developed together for the 100 years anniversary.
10-03-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #1859
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Thing is Nikon dodnt say there will be a d300 replacement and said numerous times d7xxx is their apsc top of the line. D500 was more of a surprise than something people counted on
The parallels are accurate, differing only in how fervently Nikon and Pentax insist that the D7xxx and KP are the top of the APS-C line.

D300/s users held their breath for seven years, stamping their feet and demanding a camera. That they finally got one after seven years seems like a mini miracle and more of a good will gesture from Nikon. I would love to see sales figures for the D500 and the D750 and D610. The number of people buying a D500 have to be vanishingly small when they could buy a full frame camera for the same price or less. Especially when Best Buy has the D610 and D750 on the shelves - I've never seen a D500 there.

I think both Pentax and Nikon have been surprised that every advanced amateur didn't quietly move en masse to full frame. But for all the people loudly asking for a flagship APS-C ... how many will actually buy an 1800+ US dollar APS-C camera?
10-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #1860
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But what are the practical implications of this, and what are the other tradeoffs of not having this functionality? Without pixel peeping a comparison scene can you tell?

For example, many people would take a very slight image degradation that's usually not even visible in normal viewing in exchange for dramatically better autofocus performance that might mean the difference between an in-focus shot and an out-of-focus shot.
Closed Thread