Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #1966
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Dunno. I never even go above iso6400. Pentax should probably focus on the strengths of its system and that is still life, product photography, architecture, realestate photograpy and ofc my fav - landscapes. That is where as low iso as it can go really shines.
Higher iso is suited for dunno - sports photography? I really dont think pentax should try to fit all of the niches with its limited lineup and in the end make a mediocre product.
Just my 2 cents
Which sensor would they use to get this lower ISO?

Electronically a sensor has a base value - I don't know what they gain from "going lower".

10-07-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #1967
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Turns out, based on the 46-minute interview with Mr Baus, my guess was correct, the KP is the K3II successor in his opinion....
His opinion is of no interest. According to Ricoh it never was.
10-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #1968
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Electronically a sensor has a base value - I don't know what they gain from "going lower".
Dunno... my last few comments are more just of some kind of whisful thinking than anything else

Yep. I was talking about base value of iso 50.
The lower the iso is the more light (signal) a photo site can handle before it over saturates (clips).
More light(signal) the better the signal to noise ratio = lower noise and better dynamic range.
10-07-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #1969
Pentaxian

Dunno. I never even go above iso6400. Pentax should probably focus on the strengths of its system and that is still life, product photography, architecture, realestate photograpy and ofc my fav - landscapes. That is where as low iso as it can go really shines.
Higher iso is suited for dunno - sports photography? I really dont think pentax should try to fit all of the niches with its limited lineup and in the end make a mediocre product.
Just my 2 cents
Yes, Pentax should focus on its strengths and one them is shooting in low-light conditions in which IBIS enables lower hand-held shutter speeds*. And in low light, it's often nice to boost the ISO. Using IBIS + high-ISO actually enables hand-held shooting in moon light or deep dusk. One might say that Pentax really shines when the sun doesn't!

With still life, product, architecture, real estate, and even some landscape photography, one can use image stacking or pixel shift to enhance image quality.

*Note: and if you really want a lighter camera system, then get a camera with IBIS and great high-ISO performance that lets one throw away the tripod. Dumping the tripod will save a lot more weight than any space-age camera body material ever would.

10-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #1970
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Over a period of 7-1/2 years, I owned two Rebels, which produced a total of 4352 exposures {I admit to being a low volume photographer}. Each had processor issues and eventually died. Even though I had issues with their electronics, I had absolutely no issues with how they used plastics on my bodies and lenses. Sometimes when I ease the camera bag off my shoulder, my back contentedly remembers the Rebels.
My back tends to complain about all the glass I seem interested in lugging about. I mean, why would any sane person carry 3 50/55mm lenses along with them at any given time? (Along with at least 5 other of various focal lengths)
10-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #1971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My back tends to complain about all the glass I seem interested in lugging about. I mean, why would any sane person carry 3 50/55mm lenses along with them at any given time? (Along with at least 5 other of various focal lengths)
In recent years I have carried three lenses with me: Sigma 10-20mm, DA 18-135mm, and DA 55-300mm. That is plenty for me!!
10-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #1972
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In recent years I have carried three lenses with me: Sigma 10-20mm, DA 18-135mm, and DA 55-300mm. That is plenty for me!!
A great trio to have for Pentax crop sensor!...Its same 3 i rely on for K-50.

10-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #1973
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What!?!?! No primes?
10-07-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #1974
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What!?!?! No primes?
That was last year!
10-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #1975
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
That was last year!
10-07-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #1976
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What!?!?! No primes?
I'm in his boat with a similar lens spread (and +1 for the Sigma 10-20!). I do however, keep the Pentax 35mm prime with me because it weighs almost nothing and takes ridiculously good images for only being $90 new when I bought it.

You are definitely nuts on the trifeca of 50mm lenses though! Masochism!

my issues is my fishing gear and camera gear share a backpack when I leave the car, so I have to be very strategic about my load-out for the day. I have an indirect relationship between quality of images and number of fish caught!
10-07-2018, 09:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1977
Pentaxian

Marketing.
10-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #1978
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, Pentax should focus on its strengths and one them is shooting in low-light conditions in which IBIS enables lower hand-held shutter speeds*. And in low light, it's often nice to boost the ISO. Using IBIS + high-ISO actually enables hand-held shooting in moon light or deep dusk. One might say that Pentax really shines when the sun doesn't!
So what you sayin pentax should focus on a niche within a niche even tho that it isnt its strong point because of a rather lacklister low light af....
Thats a recipe for success
10-08-2018, 01:34 AM   #1979
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
I'm in his boat with a similar lens spread (and +1 for the Sigma 10-20!). I do however, keep the Pentax 35mm prime with me because it weighs almost nothing and takes ridiculously good images for only being $90 new when I bought it.

You are definitely nuts on the trifeca of 50mm lenses though! Masochism!

my issues is my fishing gear and camera gear share a backpack when I leave the car, so I have to be very strategic about my load-out for the day. I have an indirect relationship between quality of images and number of fish caught!
As long as you don't load the fish in the backpack too?
10-08-2018, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1980
Pentaxian

So what you sayin pentax should focus on a niche within a niche even tho that it isnt its strong point because of a rather lacklister low light af....
Thats a recipe for success
They should work on low-light AF rather than on low ISO values.
Closed Thread