Vinyl vs CD

Record Players rule

10-18-2018, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #2072
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Nikon does support legacy lenses
Nikon does support some but. not all F-mount or bayonet lenses, so I stand partly corrected. But they will require a adapter. The Pentax K-mount from the 1950's on ward fits on my current Pentax bodies (K-S2, K-3 & K-1ii).
10-18-2018, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #2073
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Nikon does support some but. not all F-mount or bayonet lenses, so I stand partly corrected. But they will require a adapter. The Pentax K-mount from the 1950's on ward fits on my current Pentax bodies (K-S2, K-3 & K-1ii).
What do you mean by "they will require an adapter". All of the F mount lenses from film era I used dating back to 1959 worked just fine (some with a slight modification) on my D300s and to my knowledge still work just fine on D7xxx and higher series cameras (tho havent tested it cause i dont shoot Nikon any more).

Pentax K mount was introduced in 1975 so there were no "K mount lenses from 1950's".

Last edited by Trickortreat; 10-18-2018 at 05:16 AM.
10-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #2074
Pentaxian

What do you mean by "they will require an adapter". All of the F mount lenses from film era I used dating back to 1959 worked just fine (some with a slight modification) on my D300s and to my knowledge still work just fine on D7xxx and higher series cameras (tho havent tested it cause i dont shoot Nikon any more).

Pentax K mount was introduced in 1975 so there were no "K mount lenses from 1950's".
K lens adapter on M42 lenses?

Oddly, Ai lenses and other manual focus lenses do work on the latest aps-c Nikon D7500.

Last edited by mtgmansf; 10-18-2018 at 08:18 AM.
10-18-2018, 09:45 AM - 4 Likes   #2075
Pentaxian

The D7500 has a "crippled F mount" now in Pentax-language, so it can't use Ai (exact same featureset as K and M lesnes on a Pentax).
The normal consumer cameras D3xxx, D5600 (introduced at 820 EUR) are crippled even more as they cant even use screw-drive lenses.
Z7 only have an adapter without motor, so here even a 3,850 EUR camera is unable to autofocus a screwdrive lens, let alone use Ai.
10-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #2076
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The D7500 has a "crippled F mount" now in Pentax-language, so it can't use Ai (exact same featureset as K and M lesnes on a Pentax).
The normal consumer cameras D3xxx, D5600 (introduced at 820 EUR) are crippled even more as they cant even use screw-drive lenses.
Z7 only have an adapter without motor, so here even a 3,850 EUR camera is unable to autofocus a screwdrive lens, let alone use Ai.
So they crippled d7500 mount? Prolly because d500 pushed it down the lineup and d7xxx isnt top of the line aps-c any more. Me thinks d7200 had full compatibility...

Z6/7 use the new mount (Z not F) and it is a mirrorless camera so breaking compatibility was a given because retaining compatibility would do more harm than good.
10-18-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #2077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So they crippled d7500 mount? Prolly because d500 pushed it down the lineup and d7xxx isnt top of the line aps-c any more. Me thinks d7200 had full compatibility...

Z6/7 use the new mount (Z not F) and it is a mirrorless camera so breaking compatibility was a given because retaining compatibility would do more harm than good.
My only point was that Pentax stands virtually alone in providing legacy support. That was it-And, honestly, if NIKON "crippled" the use of several lens lines because it created 'more harm than good', then that sounds like crappy reverse engineering and may have contributed to their precipitous loss of market share over the past few years....that was my point. I appreciate Pentax's loyalty to its smaller, but loyal followers....I didn't mean to start a full debate on qualitative comparisons.

10-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #2078
Veteran Member

My only point was that Pentax stands virtually alone in providing legacy support
But your claim is false.
Nikon has several line of Dslrs and more than half of the lineup provides full support.

That was it-And, honestly, if NIKON "crippled" the use of several lens lines because it created 'more harm than good', then that sounds like crappy reverse engineering and may have contributed to their precipitous loss of market share over the past few years....that was my point. I appreciate Pentax's loyalty to its smaller, but loyal followers....I didn't mean to start a full debate on qualitative comparisons.
And this holds no water whatsoever :/
10-18-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #2079
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But your claim is false.
Nikon has several line of Dslrs and more than half of the lineup provides full support.:/
Geeze.......and i thought this was the PENTAX forums. Show you what I know! Who cares!
10-18-2018, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #2080
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Geeze.......and i thought this was the PENTAX forums. Show you what I know! Who cares!
It is... but let it not be false claim forum
10-18-2018, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2081
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Until they burn out and have to replace them
At least it's more productive than the "Must have 4k video" argument.
10-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #2082
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Until they burn out and have to replace them
We don't need tubes for that anymore. We have focus motors.
10-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #2083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Amen!!
10-18-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #2084
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How do you figure? It seems to have the same level of productivity.. which is no productivity. Because we're collectively just arguing subjective, personal opinion. It is no different than arguing blue is better than red.

4k video would be nice though.. if only for cropping or panning.. get those long, Ken Burns style documentary pans.
10-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #2085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is... but let it not be false claim forum
Trick or Treat--enjoy the Nikon forum...by your own admission--NIkon does not support its legacy lenses in full....as we all know many Pentax legacy lenses use banned chemical coatings no lomnger available and the richness and tone of these lenses on modern equipment often produce great results....I switched from Nikon to Pentax many years ago--Pentax, despite being bounced from several holding companies has proven to be a reliable and well-built camera, reminiscent of my Leicas. Technology is great, but how you produce the images is just as important. Brady's photos of the Civil War using remedial large wooden field cameras and glass plates are often majestic (tragic) and some of the most compeeling images made in the history of photography.

This is a Pentax Forum. I am a Pentax user and I support the brand regardless if its market share, Example: Honda's market share compared to Porsche is overwhelming, but I can tell you which one I would prefer to drive...

---------- Post added 10-19-18 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
How do you figure? It seems to have the same level of productivity.. which is no productivity. Because we're collectively just arguing subjective, personal opinion. It is no different than arguing blue is better than red.

4k video would be nice though.. if only for cropping or panning.. get those long, Ken Burns style documentary pans.
I rarely if ever, use my cameras for movies...if that's your goal, then get a point and shoot and enjoy yourselves. I don't want my quality camera to be compromised as a jack of all trades..Leica added video to its M-typ 240 and regretted it by creating the M10 without video 3 years after the M-240 was released. Why is that? well, I guess 4K short videos can be done adequately on a smart phone, but large still images are much harder to produce...Better yet, buy a video camera that takes stills but it won't be a pro-am DSLR...
Closed Thread