Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #2131
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-3 II used the exact same sensor as the K-3 which was launched in 2013.
Look at the comparison I've given: the KP has both less noise and better detail. I don't care about DxOMark's "requirements".
It's not Samsung problem.

10-22-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #2132
Pentaxian

The K-3 II used the exact same sensor as the K-3 which was launched in 2013.
Look at the comparison I've given: the KP has both less noise and better detail. I don't care about DxOMark's "requirements".
The KP gets 'less noise and better detail' because of the 'accelerator' - no credit to the sensor.

A new camera based on sensor and processor from Samsung would get improve detail, dynamic range, color depth, and noise over the K-3ii from the start - then they could integrate the 'accelerator' and do even better.
10-22-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #2133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The NX is not a "replacement for the K3" in the sense of what most people on this forum and tread seem to want (do we need a survey to confirm that?). The desired replacement for the K3 seems to be another flagship, APS-C, K-mount camera -- an upgrade to K-3. Changing the mount and obsoleting all the Pentax DA lenses used by current Pentax APS-C camera owners seems like the worst possible strategy.

If Pentax forces current Pentax users to switch mounts, those users might as well look at other brands.
The idea here is not to use an NX - the idea is to drop NX electronics into a K-3ii body ... and perhaps add an 'accelerator' and improved AF.

It would be a K-mount camera with Pentax controls, a Pentax viewfinder and even a Pentax battery.

Last edited by reh321; 10-22-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added viewfinder and battery
10-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #2134
Pentaxian

ogl, sorry but I don't get your point. Who cares about Samsung? Who cares that it's not a problem for them if the NX is an APS-C only mount, if the NX500 sensor doesn't meet the current quality standards?
This is about Pentax: it would be a problem if they'd use the NX500 sensor (which is at about the K-3's level). So a new, improved Samsung sensor would be required.

OTOH the Samsung rumor might've been false after all.

---------- Post added 22-10-18 at 06:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KP gets 'less noise and better detail' because of the 'accelerator' - no credit to the sensor.

A new camera based on sensor and processor from Samsung would get improve detail, dynamic range, color depth, and noise over the K-3ii from the start - then they could integrate the 'accelerator' and do even better.
Are you sure the KP isn't using an improved sensor, besides the accelerator?

The K-3II makes for a poor baseline. A Sony sensor plus the accelerator might be a much better solution, unless Samsung would come up with an improved sensor.

10-22-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #2135
Pentaxian

The K-3II makes for a poor baseline. A Sony sensor plus the accelerator might be a much better solution, unless Samsung would come up with an improved sensor.
My point is that an NX500 sensor all by itself would provide a start towards the kind of improvement K-3ii users are looking for: slightly higher MP but less noise, improved dynamic range, and improved color depth. If they could get something better from Sony, which Sony for some reason isn't showing off elsewhere, that would be great, but I know this would be a start down that path. It could be done. Hopefully we will see something done soon.
10-22-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #2136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When did this thread SWERVE into assuming that the NX mount would be what Pentax might use? Its patently obvious that Pentax is thankfully committed to the K Mount. So please refrain from assuming that there will be anything related to the new APS-C high spec DSLR that will be NX mount. I support any sensor that raises the bar on IQ and frame rate.
10-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #2137
Veteran Member

How are you ranking sensors?? What makes Sony "the best sensor on the market"??? If you look at DxOMark tests, the NX-500 did better than the K-3ii even though it had 28mb.
Because it is on the market and Samsung sensor isnt?

Nobody is talking about having Samsung design and build a sensor just for Pentax ..... but it would be little bother for them to switch 'die' and run off a bunch of old-to-them integrated circuits. Yes, I said 'circuits', because the processor is part of that rumor - and this might be a way for Pentax to finally deliver the video that so many clamor for.
But a nonexisting Samsung sensor isnt stopping Pentax from implementing video. Current Sony sensors are more than capable of delivering excellent video. There is probably something else. Neither Nikon could implement proper video in its DSLRs. Nikon representatives said its impossible due to mount constraints. Maybe the same thing is limiting Pentax?

10-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #2138
Pentaxian

My point is that an NX500 sensor all by itself would provide a start towards the kind of improvement K-3ii users are looking for: slightly higher MP but less noise, improved dynamic range, and improved color depth. If they could get something better from Sony, which Sony for some reason isn't showing off elsewhere, that would be great, but I know this would be a start down that path. It could be done. Hopefully we will see something done soon.
And my point is that the NX500 sensor is not good enough.
10-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #2139
Veteran Member

The K-3 II used the exact same sensor as the K-3 which was launched in 2013.Look at the comparison I've given: the KP has both less noise and better detail. I don't care about DxOMark's "requirements".
KP has baked in RAW noise reduction. A lot of people consider that as a BAD thing.
10-22-2018, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #2140
Pentaxian

I've posted a comparison in which the KP had less noise and more detail than the NX500.
Regardless of how they reached this result, this is the standard a future APS-C flagship should reach (and maybe surpass).
10-22-2018, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #2141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
When did this thread SWERVE into assuming that the NX mount would be what Pentax might use?

I can only assume it is due to insanity....
10-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #2142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
When did this thread SWERVE into assuming that the NX mount would be what Pentax might use? Its patently obvious that Pentax is thankfully committed to the K Mount. So please refrain from assuming that there will be anything related to the new APS-C high spec DSLR that will be NX mount. I support any sensor that raises the bar on IQ and frame rate.
I, for one, am not assuming this - I merely note it as a reasonable possibility. I would welcome any sensor superior to what is used in the K-3ii.

added: I, for one, am assuming continued use of K-mount, Pentax body, Pentax controls, Pentax viewfinder, Pentax battery .... a few Samsung components but everything else familiar Pentax.

{please see my comment #2133 above}

Last edited by reh321; 10-22-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: comment #2133
10-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #2143
Pentaxian

I've posted a comparison in which the KP had less noise and more detail than the NX500.
Regardless of how they reached this result, this is the standard a future APS-C flagship should reach (and maybe surpass).
This is due to the 'accelerator', which some are not comfortable with. Adding the 'accelerator' to a superior sensor is the way to surpass these results. You may say more if you want to, but this was my point, which I see no reason to use bold point or other means to emphasize and repeat, so this will be my last comment on this point.

Last edited by reh321; 10-22-2018 at 11:02 AM.
10-22-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #2144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Because it is on the market and Samsung sensor isnt?

But a nonexisting Samsung sensor isnt stopping Pentax from implementing video. Current Sony sensors are more than capable of delivering excellent video. There is probably something else. Neither Nikon could implement proper video in its DSLRs. Nikon representatives said its impossible due to mount constraints. Maybe the same thing is limiting Pentax?
The rumors from Korea say this sensor and related processor are on the market. The processor is what would help Pentax finally deliver the video that people are waiting for. Again, I see no reason to repeat and repeat these statements, so this is the last time I'll make this point.
10-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #2145
Veteran Member

The rumors from Korea say this sensor and related processor are on the market. The processor is what would help Pentax finally deliver the video that people are waiting for. Again, I see no reason to repeat and repeat these statements, so this is the last time I'll make this point.
Its just a far fetched rumor. The sensor is not on the market hence it isnt the best sensor on the market.
Again, Sony has more than capable sensor to implement top of the line video in a camera. Samsung sensor at this point would not provide more. And that sony sensor is available to all who have the desire to buy it right now.

Last edited by Trickortreat; 10-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Closed Thread