Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #2161
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Canon does, but probably due to reason they ditched the legacy mount. Nikon has AF issues during video and you cant change aperture when shooting video.
Exactly! The mount issue is in the focus and aperture control connections between body and lens, not the mirrored versus mirrorless difference.

It's another area where video adds costs and complications to the camera's design while not adding any value to still image photography.

10-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #2162
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yes but is there a business case to develop such a camera? I am not so sure there is. Otherwise there would be a camera now don't you think?
That is why this seemingly never-ending thread exists.
10-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #2163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I, for one, am not assuming this - I merely note it as a reasonable possibility. I would welcome any sensor superior to what is used in the K-3ii.

added: I, for one, am assuming continued use of K-mount, Pentax body, Pentax controls, Pentax viewfinder, Pentax battery .... a few Samsung components but everything else familiar Pentax.

{please see my comment #2133 above}
RE, I realize that you were not advocating the NX mount but were referring to the Samsung sensor and related processor. But, for some reason there were a number of posts referring to the NX mount. I really don't see what sensors have to do with mounts. I mean Pentax uses Sony sensors but certainly doesn't use an A or E mount. Folks arguing mounts is a non starter for me.
10-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #2164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Exactly! The mount issue is in the focus and aperture control connections between body and lens, not the mirrored versus mirrorless difference.

It's another area where video adds costs and complications to the camera's design while not adding any value to still image photography.
Great point!

10-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #2165
Pentaxian

From what I see, KAF4-mount is essentially equivalent to EF-mount, so Pentax might be able to support 4K video by simply marching forward.
10-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #2166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
DSLR is dead. Deal with it.
How about you deal with the fact that the DSLRs are here to stay?
10-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #2167
Veteran Member

From what I see, KAF4-mount is essentially equivalent to EF-mount, so Pentax might be able to support 4K video by simply marching forward.
Is there any schematics where one can see differences (similarities) between F/K/EF mount?
Another issue is that incorporating capable video would certainly need to put a sensor with PDAF at the hearth of the camera and that has been proven to degrade still image quality plus it would increase the cost of the final product cause sensors without PDAF are cheaper.

10-22-2018, 03:06 PM - 5 Likes   #2168
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DSLR is dead. Deal with it. Within 5-8 years it will disappear like film. There are still some users praising film, but mostly it is just nostalgia or specific art. There are no serious film SLR cameras produced anymore.
Um, no.

While looking through an OVF is a nicer experience than looking through an EVF, DSLRs are most certainly not dead.

As for film: Film is making a comeback, as is vinyl. Some discontinued film is again being produced. But film will remain a niche product. As will vinyl. The DSLR is not a niche product.
DSLR sales are holding steady. See http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/sw-201808_e.pdf

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.
10-22-2018, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2169
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DSLR is dead. Deal with it. Within 5-8 years it will disappear like film. There are still some users praising film, but mostly it is just nostalgia or specific art. There are no serious film SLR cameras produced anymore.
To quote MarkJerling: "Um, no."

We will probably see one more DSLR generation and then it will be significantly reduced. Today we have options to build camera with 2-3mpix viewfinder, realtime without any shutter blackout or mirror flipping blackout. AF based on sensor has more surface available and also much more light, when mirrors are removed, so it can be more reliable and faster. Video implementation is easier too. And manufacturers do not need precisely machined heavy chunk of glass in viewfinder and they can also remove vulnerable mirror mechanism. That is the only future.
No EVF is as real-time as an OVF and it can never be. All EVFs suffer from pixel shutter and read time lag. At best they can to reduce that lag by cranking up the ISO gain but then the result is a grainy EVF image that still has lag relative to an OVF. And that lag triggers nasty side-effects (eye-strain, headache, & nausea) in about 30% of the population.

Plus, DSLR manufacturers avoid all the wasted electrical power (and noise-inducing sensor heat) that MILCs have from unnecessarily running the sensor full-time just so the photographer can frame the image, pick the right zoom-focal length, focus on the subject, measure/decide the exposure setting, track the subject, and wait for the decisive moment.

MILCs are OK for occasional snapshots, but not for full-time use.

Hybrid viewfinder is like hybrid car.. carries both disadvantages for added price just to overcome temporary technological problems. It will be nice and if they place this in K3 replacement, I buy it. But it is not the future.
Yes, and a hybrid sensor (image pixels + PDAF pixels) is like hybrid car.. carries both disadvantages for added price. Great PDAF (fast in all light levels) requires large pixels read at the highest possible clock rates. Great images require small pixels read at more modest frame rates. Great image sensors require nice, optically uniform pixels but on-sensor PDAF means a lot of pixels have to be divided and optically modified to capture light from only a fraction of the lens aperture. Jack-of-all-trades, master of none!

On-sensor-PDAF is OK for a smartphone camera, but not for more-demanding applications.
10-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #2170
Pentaxian

No EVF is as real-time as an OVF and it can never be. All EVFs suffer from pixel shutter and read time lag. At best they can to reduce that lag by cranking up the ISO gain but then the result is a grainy EVF image that still has lag relative to an OVF. And that lag triggers nasty side-effects (eye-strain, headache, & nausea) in about 30% of the population.
When Nikon's "Z-7 road show" came through here, I was definitely impressed by the EVF. I saw no flicker and the image was not grainy. I asked one of the guys to walk back-and-forth behind a pillar and past a display ... by switching between my two eyes, the delay was really hard to detect. Personally, I would be just as happy with that display as I am with my K-30's display ...... if it were attached to a camera that cost about one-third the price of a Z-7.
10-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #2171
Pentaxian

When Nikon's "Z-7 road show" came through here, I was definitely impressed by the EVF. I saw no flicker and the image was not grainy. I asked one of the guys to walk back-and-forth behind a pillar and past a display ... by switching between my two eyes, the delay was really hard to detect. Personally, I would be just as happy with that display as I am with my K-30's display ...... if it were attached to a camera that cost about one-third the price of a Z-7.
$20 for the honor of a Nikon EVF sales show at the brick and mortar? A four hour drive I'll pass on and spend it on some film for the Nikon F2 and Pentax MX, thank you.
10-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #2172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
$20 for the honor of a Nikon EVF sales show at the brick and mortar? A four hour drive I'll pass on and spend it on some film for the Nikon F2 and Pentax MX, thank you.
I don't understand your comment. Attending the "show" cost me nothing - and now I've actually handled this thing.
10-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #2173
Veteran Member

I don't understand your comment. Attending the "show" cost me nothing - and now I've actually handled this thing.
I guess for some people ignorance is bliss!
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
10-22-2018, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #2174
Pentaxian

Your experience was just different from what was offered by a distant dealer in our state. I’m glad you had the opportunity to see the technology. Right now technology for me is trying to get an old 5 speed Ford tractor and box blade to scrape the rain induced dirt road washouts, the coming snows and having a 10 year old instruct me on the finer points of baling hay and International garden tractors. See today’s cloudscapes thread for the International.

Last edited by lukulele; 10-22-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Additional content.
10-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #2175
Veteran Member

MILCs are OK for occasional snapshots, but not for full-time use.
This isnt true - there are a lot of people who prefer EVF. So its all up to an end user. I'd say its an even 50-50 split.

On-sensor-PDAF is OK for a smartphone camera, but not for more-demanding applications.
This is also far from truth - there are applications where OSPDAF is better (video, tracking, hi precision fast AF) and where it isnt (where absolute IQ is a paramount)

Last edited by Trickortreat; 10-23-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Closed Thread