Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #2206
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have no reason to question the accuracy of their measurements.
We don't know everything about their testing methodology though. Do they keep the camera off most of the time so it stays cool, or do they let it run hours on end?

10-24-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #2207
Pentaxian

I have no reason to question the accuracy of their measurements.
I have no reason to trust them

To be honest, it's their lens tests that are particularly bad.
Then the policy of testing but not publishing results (until much, much later) for certain brands...
10-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #2208
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
We don't know everything about their testing methodology though. Do they keep the camera off most of the time so it stays cool, or do they let it run hours on end?
Running hours on end would be totally irrelevant to me.
I plan photo - decide what perspective I want, and which {zoom} lens I'll need - then turn on camera and take photo.
Even with my Q-7, which needs to be on in order for me to have "viewfinder", camera is seldom on for more than a few minutes.
When I'm stalking animal, camera may be on for ten or fifteen minutes, but that is the maximum time on.
10-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #2209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I appreciate the response, and I get that sensor temperature has an impact on noise performance. But... I don't think this makes a lot of sense from a practical standpoint. I don't know that a mirrorless sensor is really 20, 30, 40, 50°C hotter than a DSLR sensor in typical use. Fuji, Sony, even Pentax have had mirrorless cameras for years. I don't think that I've heard much criticism of those cameras based on sensor noise. And knowing the internet, there would be a gigantic backlash against mirrorless manufacturers if the typical use case resulted in an ISO 800 performance equivalent to ISO 3200 in a DSLR. Or base ISO being the same as 400 or 800 in a DSLR.

You're basically saying that the best Fuji or Sony should have the high-ISO noise characteristics of a DSLR from 15 years ago. Or worse. That certainly doesn't appear to be the case.
Data on sensor temperatures and "usable ISO" for DSLR versus MILC images is out there sitting in all the EXIF data on all the posted images. Perhaps someone has analyzed it but I've not seen it. The working hypothesis would be that "good images" made with a DSLR would tend to have cooler average temperatures (or a lower % of shots at high T) and higher average ISOs (or a higher percent of shots at high ISO) than similar "good images" for images made with MILCs.

The most confounding aspect of all this is how noise is mostly evaluated in subjective terms under extremely wide-ranging image and shooting conditions. Controlled field tests (e.g., two sports shooters doing the same intensive photoshoot of a basketball game) are rare and careful statistical analysis of image noise from such carefully controlled testing is even rarer.

As for DXO, I'd think that their sensor data is collected under fairly controlled and near-ideal conditions and that the total sensor heating time is quite small. The sensor test can be done under static, room temperature conditions with most of the setup done with the camera off. Once the camera is on, clicking through all the ISO options and getting the shots would be very fast.

10-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #2210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I have no reason to trust them

To be honest, it's their lens tests that are particularly bad.
Then the policy of testing but not publishing results (until much, much later) for certain brands...
Whats wrong with their lens tests? I find them quite relevant.
10-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #2211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
As for DXO, I'd think that their sensor data is collected under fairly controlled and near-ideal conditions and that the total sensor heating time is quite small. The sensor test can be done under static, room temperature conditions with most of the setup done with the camera off. Once the camera is on, clicking through all the ISO options and getting the shots would be very fast.
But, that is how I use my camera under most circumstances.
10-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #2212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Whats wrong with their lens tests? I find them quite relevant.
Not much. Just the occasional Limited which is less sharp than a Canikon kit lens...
(on the same format, of course)

10-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #2213
Veteran Member

Not much. Just the occasional Limited which is less sharp than a Canikon kit lens...
Thats normal you know...
10-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #2214
Pentaxian

Maybe I'm too harsh; after all, some Pentax lenses are well positioned on the DXOMark's APS-C list.
I had a look just so I wouldn't speak from distant memories. Some of the lenses less sharp than kit zooms:
- the 100mm macro
- 40mm Limited
- DA* 200 and 300mm
10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #2215
Pentaxian

Canon users are always complaining about how DxOMark rates their bodies, but honestly, as a Canon user I found that their lower-tier bodies weren't much good, but the quality of their lenses kept me there for twenty years.
10-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #2216
Pentaxian

I wasn't talking about L lenses, but kit lenses - stuff like 18-55 f/3.5-5.6.
I don't expect Pentax lenses to measure better than the best Canons, except maybe for the D FA* 50mm
10-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #2217
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm too harsh; after all, some Pentax lenses are well positioned on the DXOMark's APS-C list.
I had a look just so I wouldn't speak from distant memories. Some of the lenses less sharp than kit zooms:
- the 100mm macro
- 40mm Limited
- DA* 200 and 300mm
There are variation between lenses. Centering quality plays a big role. Its perfectly normal for a usualy sharp lens to show bad results during tests if it is a bad copy.
10-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #2218
Pentaxian

I wasn't talking about L lenses, but kit lenses - stuff like 18-55 f/3.5-5.6.
I don't expect Pentax lenses to measure better than the best Canons, except maybe for the D FA* 50mm
I never owned an "L" lens, but I owned some very nice lenses - which I hated to leave behind to move back to Pentax - but their Rebel bodies, not so much.
10-24-2018, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speculation... New Pentax APSC by June

It seems like Sony will soon release there A7000 or whatever its called based on the 26 MP apsc sensor. Perhaps 6 months after that we may see a new Pentax crop with the same sensor inside in a sexy new camera. This would likely mean around June so not to long really if this turns out to be the case. Perhaps they couldn't get any more speed out of the current sensor and didnt want to release an upgrade that was basically the same as the K-3. One of the tricks that I think Pentax needs to figure out is how to apply the noise reduction in a more linear fashion. Very little at base ISO and more at higher ISO's, seems like its just on right now.
10-24-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #2220
Pentaxian

But, that is how I use my camera under most circumstances.
Then you are unlikely to experience hot-sensor image degradation unless you take lots of images and the heat accumulates.

Photographers who rarely bring the camera to their eye and who quickly zoom-frame-meter-focus-fire when they do won't have a problem.
Closed Thread