Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #2326
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand how this is a response to Chris - you both are saying that Pentax needs to end their silence and say something to keep current K-7/5/3 users onboard.
No, basically many here wants RI to say something like 'we will produce a worthy successor to K3-II to be presented at CP+".
And that would be, IMO, stupid.

IMO they said as much as they could without unveiling too much. I understand why some want some news but asking more would be counterproductive.

10-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #2327

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
KP Mark II? In effect, whatever it is called. With latest electronics, better shutter and mirror assembly, better buffer, revised grip and bigger battery (maybe)? That would basically give a K1 but about one-third smaller and tie in with recent statements along the lines of "If you like the K1 ..."
K3 already had "better shutter and mirror assembly, better buffer, revised grip and bigger battery"
Even the K5 fits that bill.
The KP is a small[er than K3] camera that takes (very?) good pictures, but it's not really meant for people who want something to handle big lenses, take many pictures without carrying a ton of batteries, and shoot like Rambo.
if you add a grip and batteries, the price comes dangerously close to a K1, and then it only wins in lens size, maybe lens price if you consider the not recently released lenses.

---------- Post added 10-30-18 at 01:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, basically many here wants RI to say something like 'we will produce a worthy successor to K3-II to be presented at CP+".
Why do you think that would be stupid?
Everybody's eyes are glazed at mirrorless news, and Pentax has a very small share of the market. Even the competition wouldn't care, except maybe to get some ideas after it came out.
10-30-2018, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #2328
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

IMO they said as much as they could without unveiling too much. I understand why some want some news but asking more would be counterproductive.
How could it be counterproductive??

Their inventory of K-3ii's to sell is virtually empty, so they wouldn't lose sales, and to say that Canon, Nikon, or Sony is going to react to {tiny} Pentax sounds dumb. All Pentax had to do was to repeat the assurance of CP+ 2018 "We are working on that". That sentence was not stupid at CP+ and it would not have been stupid at Photokina.

Last edited by reh321; 10-31-2018 at 09:15 AM.
10-30-2018, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #2329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
To allow competion to react n years before market release? And what is the benefit for Pentax in doing so? Potential customers for none existing products? To make some forum members happy?
I dont think competition worries a lot about Pentax.
Anyway - people left far more important things in life than a camera they shoot with if there were some uncertainties about the future... People have limited patience and limited life span they dont have the luxury to play the waiting game...
That said - those who are happy with their gear right now are likely to stay with the brand.

10-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #2330
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How could it be counterproductive??

Their inventory of K-3ii's to sell is virtually empty, so they wouldn't lose sales, and to say that Canon, Nikon, or Sony is going to react to {tiny} Pentax sounds dumb. All they had to do was to repeat the assurance of CP+ 2018 "We are working on that". That sentence was not stupid at CP+ and it would not have been stupid at Photokina.
Agreed. It is after all kind of a "special" situation that Pentax have created for themselves: discontinuing and selling out a body (K3) that was the top of their line for a few years, and leaving a hole in their line-up, and then play the sound of silence drum.
If that is sound marketing, then I'll eat my hat (which I don't have, so would have to buy one first )

Chris
10-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #2331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Agreed. It is after all kind of a "special" situation that Pentax have created for themselves: discontinuing and selling out a body (K3) that was the top of their line for a few years, and leaving a hole in their line-up, and then play the sound of silence drum.
They probably had to discontinue the Pentax K3 II to leave enough production capacity to the Pentax K2, since the Pentax K1 is still in production, and both K1 and K2 are very popular models.
10-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #2332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
They probably had to discontinue the Pentax K3 II to leave enough production capacity to the Pentax K2, since the Pentax K1 is still in production, and both K1 and K2 are very popular models.
K2????

10-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #2333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K2????
Ahrr sorry, I should have written Pentax K1.500 or any number between K1.000 and K1.999, or Pentax K1++
10-30-2018, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Lol.

On a serious note, what if the K-3's sensor was discontinued, and ordering a new batch from Sony could only be done in a quantity that's way larger than necessary?
Maybe Sony even scrapped equipment related to that sensor, maybe it was affected by the Kumamoto disaster. In any case, my guess is that continuing the K-3 production was deemed unfeasible/undesirable.

I don't see it as a purely marketing problem. Pentax doesn't have marketing problems, they're avoiding marketing altogether!
10-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #2335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
KP would be rally nice if introduced with 3 new bright (f1.8 or f2.0) DA limiteds (around 20mm, 35mm and 70mm) with WR and silent motors. It would be a nice kit. I do not think Pentax is Doomed just it looks like their higher positioning of the brand may be going full frame DSLR. The biggest drawback for Pentax APS-C system now is Pentax FF system. It is not a fact it is only my opinion.
They would be enormous compared to the current limiteds. And the current limiteds are super fast to focus when on a KP. Why bother?
10-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #2336

QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Large buffer and two card slots come to mind...
So we have:

-OVF (optional hybrid VF if available)
-"built like a tank" stability & ergonomics (body size, weight and shape)

-longer battery life
-bigger buffer
-two card slots
-better shutter (longer shutter life)
10-30-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
K3 already had "better shutter and mirror assembly, better buffer, revised grip and bigger battery"
Even the K5 fits that bill.
The KP is a small[er than K3] camera that takes (very?) good pictures, but it's not really meant for people who want something to handle big lenses, take many pictures without carrying a ton of batteries, and shoot like Rambo.
if you add a grip and batteries, the price comes dangerously close to a K1, and then it only wins in lens size, maybe lens price if you consider the not recently released lenses.

---------- Post added 10-30-18 at 01:48 PM ----------

Why do you think that would be stupid?
Everybody's eyes are glazed at mirrorless news, and Pentax has a very small share of the market. Even the competition wouldn't care, except maybe to get some ideas after it came out.
I use my KP with large, 2kg lenses and often the battery grip. At the time I bought my KP and grip it was still over $500.00 USD less that a K-1, and my KP came with the DA 50 1.8 as an added value. I also use my limiteds but large lenses are not an issue when using a KP. I am interested in what Pentax has coming down the development pipeline but if I plan on a purchase of a K-3 replacement, it will be years down the road. And recycling the battery size as a major negative is not needed as it has been debunked here many times. if The new camera was an upgraded KP, with 2 slots and a bigger buffer, it would be a camera that has the features that most APSC shooters here have demanded but something closer to the K-3 body would be a larger success for Pentax.
10-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #2338

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
And recycling the battery size as a major negative is not needed as it has been debunked here many times.
What do you mean by "debunked"?
10-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #2339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
They would be enormous compared to the current limiteds. And the current limiteds are super fast to focus when on a KP. Why bother?
35mm f1.8 wouldnt be big. Take a look at Fujis 35mm f1.4 - its a light and smalish lens. Great optics too...
Same goes for Fujis 18mm f2.
77mm limited f1.8 also isnt a big lens so making a 70mm DA wouldnt be a big problem.
10-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #2340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
35mm f1.8 wouldnt be big. Take a look at Fujis 35mm f1.4 - its a light and smalish lens. Great optics too...
Same goes for Fujis 18mm f2.
77mm limited f1.8 also isnt a big lens so making a 70mm DA wouldnt be a big problem.
With the new SDM motors as the original poster posited, yes they would be.
Closed Thread