Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #2341
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
77mm limited f1.8 also isnt a big lens so making a 70mm DA wouldnt be a big problem.
But we have a 70mm/f2.4 lens that is small.......

10-30-2018, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2342
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by usernametaken Quote
What do you mean by "debunked"?
Find someone who has actually run their battery out in a day of shooting under normal conditions and then they found out that it is "just impossible to change my battery after 600 plus shots." That is the only time I have ever replaced my battery during shooting with my KP during a single day. And I was closer to 700 with light flash use when I had to change.

You may find a complainer or two who says differently but I will wager that they are outside the specified temperature limits while getting lower battery performance. eg: cold weather is hard on Li-Ion batteries.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 10-30-2018 at 01:26 PM.
10-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #2343

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Find someone who has actually run their battery out in a day of shooting under normal conditions and found out that it is "just impossible to change my battery after 600 plus shots."
Your "normal" is highly subjective. For me, shooting daylong events is "normal". And I'm happy about as few interruptions as possible, so yes, for me, a weaker battery is a major negative.
10-30-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2344
Veteran Member

Your "normal" is highly subjective. For me, shooting daylong events is "normal". And I'm happy about as few interruptions as possible, so yes, for me, a weaker battery is a major negative.
You don't say how many images you take during that day. Are you machine gun spray and pray shooting? Long bursts at high rate? I can change the battery in the camera in less than 20 seconds and about the same in my battery grip so unless you are taking 1000+ images per day, I can assure you that it won't be a major issue. With the battery grip[ and the larger battery, (it can use either the Larger battery from the K-3/K-1 or with the adapter, the same battery as the KP body,) you will get lots more than 1K from that combination.

10-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #2345
Veteran Member

With the new SDM motors as the original poster posited, yes they would be.
Dunno - both fujis i mentioned have in lens focusing motors (dunno what kind) and they are small...
10-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #2346
Pentaxian

Find someone who has actually run their battery out in a day of shooting under normal conditions and then they found out that it is "just impossible to change my battery after 600 plus shots." That is the only time I have ever replaced my battery during shooting with my KP during a single day. And I was closer to 700 with light flash use when I had to change.

You may find a complainer or two who says differently but I will wager that they are outside the specified temperature limits while getting lower battery performance. eg: cold weather is hard on Li-Ion batteries.
I think the KP was designed for shooters like me. I seldom go past 1000k shots per year. With my K-30, a set of AA's can often take me through the entire day.
10-30-2018, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #2347
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't say how many images you take during that day. Are you machine gun spray and pray shooting? Long bursts at high rate? I can change the battery in the camera in less than 20 seconds and about the same in my battery grip so unless you are taking 1000+ images per day, I can assure you that it won't be a major issue. With the battery grip[ and the larger battery, (it can use either the Larger battery from the K-3/K-1 or with the adapter, the same battery as the KP body,) you will get lots more than 1K from that combination.
I can see why day-long shooting benefits from longer battery life, but I wonder how much trouble it really is to change a battery once on the KP. Assuming you get 350 - 400 shots per battery (CIPA lists 420, I think?), one battery change mid-day gives you 700 - 800 shots for the day. That's 80 - 100 shots per hour, with just one battery change, for an 8 hour day of shooting without any breaks. I can accept the battery change is a negative thing, but a major negative? Each to their own, I guess. I suppose if you're rattling off hundreds of shots an hour in continuous burst, it makes a difference. But aside from that? I don't see much of an issue.

10-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #2348

You don't say how many images you take during that day. Are you machine gun spray and pray shooting?Long bursts at high rate?
It depends - on the kind/length of event, and of course on the situation/subject/lighting. There are times I reach the 1000 or more, sometimes less.

QuoteQuote:
I can change the battery in the camera in less than 20 seconds and about the same in my battery grip so unless you are taking 1000+ images per day, I can assure you that it won't be a major issue. With the battery grip[ and the larger battery, (it can use either the Larger battery from the K-3/K-1 or with the adapter, the same battery as the KP body,) you will get lots more than 1K from that combination.
With the K-5/K-3 + Battery Grip it's not an issue at all - I simply don't have to care about that. Maybe that spoiled me, but I don't want to go back. I want to focus on shooting and on the people as much as possible. And from a camera with the price tag of the K-3 I expect nothing less.

---------- Post added 10-30-18 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suppose if you're rattling off hundreds of shots an hour in continuous burst, it makes a difference. But aside from that? I don't see much of an issue.
Continuous focussing without firing a lot of shots already drains the battery noticably quicker than "single AF" shooting, especially with an ultrasonic lens.

Last edited by usernametaken; 10-30-2018 at 02:30 PM.
10-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #2349
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Continuous focussing without firing a lot of shots already drains the battery noticably quicker than "single AF" shooting, especially with an ultrasonic lens.
Understood. That makes sense.

Out of interest, working that way, how many shots do you get out of the K-3 before a battery change? Surely considerably less than the 600 or so generally reported, yes? So you must already be looking at (at least) one battery change in one of your 1,000+ shots days, unless you're shooting with the K-3 grip (even so, with continuous AF battery drainage, you must be right on the edge of a battery change?).

You should be delighted you don't shoot with a Sony A7 MkII as I frequently do I almost always have the battery grip fitted as I prefer the resulting size of the package, but the battery life even with the grip tops out at less shots than the K-3 is capable of without a grip Still, we manage...
10-30-2018, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2350

Out of interest, working that way, how many shots do you get out of the K-3 before a battery change? Surely considerably less than the 600 or so generally reported, yes? So you must already be looking at (at least) one battery change in one of your 1,000+ shots days, unless you're shooting with the K-3 grip (even so, with continuous AF battery drainage, you must be right on the edge of a battery change?).
I didn't count the shots exactly, but yes, without the grip it's usually one change, with the grip I didn't have to change as far as I can remember.

QuoteQuote:
You should be delighted you don't shoot with a Sony A7 MkII as I frequently do I almost always have the battery grip fitted as I prefer the resulting size of the package, but the battery life even with the grip tops out at less shots than the K-3 is capable of without a grip Still, we manage...
Thanks for giving me nightmares *shudder*
10-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #2351
Banned

Photos: Gallery

K-3 with no grip gives 1000+ images on a long sports event. Without any problem and using af-c all the time.
10-30-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2352
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i use last months my K3 in Spain
I have original battery and spare from Amazon
original battery total off after short 575 image plus 75 image use internal flash inside building
my lenses set was 18-135 and 17-70 sigma

second third party battery from amazon give me may be 100 images less ,but it was mostly evening time
i use AF-S mode
interesting when battery show one bar only i turn camera off in 15 min turn on again show 2 bar ?
this was original battery from original camera box probably at least 4 y old
10-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #2353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Thath´s the way it works - you still want to sell K3 camera before announcing KPs. Problem is Pentax is slow with their announcements and not all new products replace existing prpducts.
Pentax announced some lenses recently DFA50, ... that appeared later than expected. I think they do well in holding back announcements until they are really ready. A lot of Things should be in the Pipeline right now!
"In the pipeline" is indistinguishable from non-existent. Unless they tell us about them.
10-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #2354
Veteran Member

I can see why day-long shooting benefits from longer battery life, but I wonder how much trouble it really is to change a battery once on the KP. Assuming you get 350 - 400 shots per battery (CIPA lists 420, I think?), one battery change mid-day gives you 700 - 800 shots for the day. That's 80 - 100 shots per hour, with just one battery change, for an 8 hour day of shooting without any breaks. I can accept the battery change is a negative thing, but a major negative? Each to their own, I guess. I suppose if you're rattling off hundreds of shots an hour in continuous burst, it makes a difference. But aside from that? I don't see much of an issue.
I'm not a major stressor of batteries. If I start the day with a full charge, I really appreciate knowing I'll get through the whole day without having to think about the battery.
10-31-2018, 02:01 AM   #2355
Veteran Member

They would be enormous compared to the current limiteds. And the current limiteds are super fast to focus when on a KP. Why bother?
1.8 or 2.0 APS-C primes are far from "enormous" in my opinion. Significantly bigger than current limiteds? Yes, but not huge like new DFA 1.4. I wrote silent motors not faster focusing - just to be able to focus without making noise. In general I am thinking about all around primes for silent shooting in dark interiors and (with WR for outsides). Paired with two bodies would be a nice kit for events.
Closed Thread