Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #2371
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Battery grip with eneloop pro 2500mAh of Pana 2700mAh can easily produce 4000 shots. 4000 shots sold at $400, you'll make a fortune, unless you eventually format the SD to get rid of all those thousand shots that do wow anyone in any way.
It's some kind of science fiction. The max. shots I ever had with K200D + battery grip with Li AA batteries was 1200.
K200D with rechargeable LiOn AA batteries (with battery grip) could 550-600 shots.
My K-5IIs could 500-600 shots with AF with original battery.

11-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #2372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A little older
ok, a little older, but the black ones are not that old !
11-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #2373

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's some kind of science fiction. The max. shots I ever had with K200D + battery grip with Li AA batteries was 1200.
K200D with rechargeable LiOn AA batteries (with battery grip) could 550-600 shots.
My K-5IIs could 500-600 shots with AF with original battery.
600 for K5 is "a bit" low. I get over 1500 pulling a 150-450 in AFC, with some reviewing in the middle. Original battery.
6 Nimh batteries (2700mAh) should give much more power than the Pentax battery (the D-Li90 is 1860mAh).
11-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #2374
Veteran Member

Why all the whining? The KP has the larger battery as a capability of the battery grip and with just the standard battery is good for more than the CIPA rating in my experience. And Rechargeable AA batteries are not a panacea since the lower voltage rating means as soon as the charge drops the output voltage a little, they are no good in a high draw situation.

11-12-2018, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #2375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Amazing how long the K-3 replacement thread has been going...It was started (well at least this one) 11 months ago and yet, the minions will not accept the K-P as anything more than a K-S2 replacement when it is so much more....nonetheless, Ricoh will replace the K-3/ii soon (I'm thinking for the 100th commemorative of Asahi, the form purveyors of the Pentax brand)--I just hope it's revolutionary, not evolutionary as it has been two years since the last K-3ii rolled off the assembly line...
11-12-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #2376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Amazing how long the K-3 replacement thread has been going...It was started (well at least this one) 11 months ago and yet, the minions will not accept the K-P as anything more than a K-S2 replacement when it is so much more....nonetheless, Ricoh will replace the K-3/ii soon (I'm thinking for the 100th commemorative of Asahi, the form purveyors of the Pentax brand)--I just hope it's revolutionary, not evolutionary as it has been two years since the last K-3ii rolled off the assembly line...
I guess I'm one of those minions! As a K-3 shooter, I'm just not willing to take a step back to a KP even though it has wonderful IQ and a bit better High ISO performance. The ergonomics and features and form factor of the K-3/K-3II are almost ideal from my point of view, plus its still a great camera.

I do hope that Ricoh/Pentax comes through with another high spec APS-C that will make me go WOW, where do I send my money. Having said that, if they don't come through, my trusty K-3 has many moon to go.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-12-2018 at 08:17 PM.
11-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #2377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I guess I'm one of those minions! As a K-3 shooter, I'm just not willing to take a step back to a KP even though it has wonderful IQ and a bit better High ISO performance. The ergonomics and features and form factor of the K-3/K-3II are almost ideal from my point of view, plus its still a great camera.

I do hope that Ricoh/Pentax comes through with another high spec APS-C that will make me go WOW, where do I send my money. Having said that, if they don't come through, my trusty K-3 has many moon to go.
I am selling my K-3 because it's just sitting at home (4600 clicks) while I use other bodies/cameras. The K-1ii is so fabulous even if it is a bit heavier than the K-3. I will say this, it's hard to believe that the K-3 is almost 5 years old as the Tech in that camera is very refined, even for today. Oh yes, can it focus faster sure...but with a 7+ continuous burst, I get 2-3 shots out of that buffer.All in all, I like my K-3, it takes great pics, Like my K-S2 for its compact size and I love the K-1ii for its overall performance--best Pentax ever made-truly.
Having said that, I agree that a new APS-c body is needed to round out the line.

11-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #2378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I am selling my K-3 because it's just sitting at home (4600 clicks) while I use other bodies/cameras. The K-1ii is so fabulous even if it is a bit heavier than the K-3. I will say this, it's hard to believe that the K-3 is almost 5 years old as the Tech in that camera is very refined, even for today. Oh yes, can it focus faster sure...but with a 7+ continuous burst, I get 2-3 shots out of that buffer.All in all, I like my K-3, it takes great pics, Like my K-S2 for its compact size and I love the K-1ii for its overall performance--best Pentax ever made-truly.
Having said that, I agree that a new APS-c body is needed to round out the line.
About half of my lens are DA and at my age I really don't need to be investing a lot of money in different lens that's why I didn't buy a K-1 after their price dropped. I've given my daughter my K-50 and some lens so other than my little Panasonic FZ35 and my film Minolta XD11, I'm down to a lightly used K-3 with less than 20,000 shutter actuations. When a new High Spec APS-C body hits the market, I'm grabbing it and plan to have it and the K-3 as my last cameras.
11-12-2018, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #2379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
About half of my lens are DA and at my age I really don't need to be investing a lot of money in different lens that's why I didn't buy a K-1 after their price dropped. I've given my daughter my K-50 and some lens so other than my little Panasonic FZ35 and my film Minolta XD11, I'm down to a lightly used K-3 with less than 20,000 shutter actuations. When a new High Spec APS-C body hits the market, I'm grabbing it and plan to have it and the K-3 as my last cameras.
I'm nearing my 71st birthday - I also don't want to spend much on more lenses. I don't know how many lenses one needs. I have a FA 28-135 that I originally purchased because it is fairly light and it has an aperture ring - so it had been sitting in my bag in case my K-30 'succumbed' to the Dark Image Syndrome; my K-30 has now reached that point, and the FA 28-135 is now the primary lens on it. The FA 28-135 also happens to be a full frame lens, so if Pentax were to sell a 24mp FF camera below $1300, I am in a position to consider it without purchasing any other lenses .... which is why I won't be purchasing a KP during any Black Friday sales - I think I might like a 24mp FF camera even better However, "reach" would be a problem with my current collection of lenses - crop mode 24mp FF would give me 9 or 10mp.

Note: I'm not saying they should do this instead of a "K-3ii replacement" - I'm saying this would be a reasonable "parallel" camera.

Last edited by reh321; 11-12-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Note
11-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #2380
Banned

The successor to the K3-ii should be the K-2, right in the middle between K-1 and K-3...

As for a mirrorless camera, quite obviously, MK-1 (if they keep the K mount, which they should)...
yeah
11-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #2381
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No 4000 shots with K-1 is real because I have the K1 and happened to used it in the setting I gave here. I also had the K200D and it had some bad habit to detect battery low on NiMH battery even when they still were 30% charged. Also, the K200D carries 4 x AAA batteries, and the K1 grip carries 6 x AAA batteries.
11-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #2382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Why all the whining? The KP has the larger battery as a capability of the battery grip and with just the standard battery is good for more than the CIPA rating in my experience. And Rechargeable AA batteries are not a panacea since the lower voltage rating means as soon as the charge drops the output voltage a little, they are no good in a high draw situation.
Have you seen the size of the KP with a grip ??
(not even talking about the price...)
And this is just to have a battery like in the K3, instead of having it in the 'handle' !

And by the way I think I had more capacities with AA than with the K3ii battery, so while the little KP battery is not as bad as it may seems with CIPA rating, it is really far from AA batteries...
11-13-2018, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #2383
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
600 for K5 is "a bit" low. I get over 1500 pulling a 150-450 in AFC, with some reviewing in the middle. Original battery.
6 Nimh batteries (2700mAh) should give much more power than the Pentax battery (the D-Li90 is 1860mAh).
It's unreal for AFC. I can't believe. Never heard such numbers before.
11-13-2018, 03:00 AM   #2384
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's unreal for AFC. I can't believe. Never heard such numbers before.
That's because power management tends to improve with newer models. And current consumption of a DSLR camera is divided into quiescent current necessary to keep the camera awake and additional current pulse drawn only by the process of light metering, focusing and image capture from the image sensor. That means, if you leave the camera switched-on over night, the battery is discharged in the morning while not having taken any photograph. But if you charge batteries overnight, leave them into trickle charging and put them in the camera just before shooting in the morning, the amount of shots that can be done in burst mode is a lot higher than CIPA figures. With the K1, I was able to shoot indoor sport taking 1800 shots before the first D-LI90 battery was depleted (capacity is around 1800mAh), and then more than 2200 shots with the 6 x eneloop pro (capacity 2500mAh) freshly charged in the grip. Basically, if I use a fully charge set, I can shoot the whole day and still have some power left in the battery grip end of the day.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-13-2018 at 03:11 AM.
11-13-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #2385
Pentaxian

That's because power management tends to improve with newer models. And current consumption of a DSLR camera is divided into quiescent current necessary to keep the camera awake, and additional current pulse drawn only by the process of light metering, focusing and image capture from the image sensor.
So, your figures assume having the main LCD turned off? I know from experience with my smart phone, that is a major drain on the battery. Your 'experiment' involves taking more photos than I take in an entire year!

That means, if you leave the camera switched-on over night, the battery is discharged in the morning while not having taken any photograph.
I learned from my Super Program - which was a real 'power hog', and had just a little button battery, not to leave a camera turned on when I'm not using it - let alone overnight.
Closed Thread