Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #2401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Very wise decision. Next year is only a month & a few days away. Then CP+ will arrive at the end of Februeary. Ricoh will probably reveal their "playing cards" around then. Like they say, "Good things come to those who wait."
This kind of thing is always a gamble - Pentax could quietly discontinue the KP - but every decision is a 'gamble' since Pentax provides such limited information, and this is the gamble I'm willing to take.

11-14-2018, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2402

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's funny story. If I have CIPA level's shots is normal. It's not a problem. Your story is unique for Pentax cameras. I had K-5 too and several original D-Li90 and never heard such fabs. Yes, I can get approx. 1000 shots with manual lens. And I know such users. But 1500+ with AF-C - you can't prove it.
Well, if you optimize it for efficiency (switch off back LCD, use manual lenses, shoot in reduced resolution JPEG-only) you can get far beyond 1500 shots. I used the K-5 as a timelapse device for a while and could shoot about 4000 pictures (give or take 1000) before having to switch the battery. This was of course within a single day, and under very light circumstances for the K-5. But its battery life is really fantastic, I've never had to switch a battery within 600 pictures under any circumstances (I never used built-in flash though, that might matter).
11-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #2403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
Well, if you optimize it for efficiency (switch off back LCD, use manual lenses, shoot in reduced resolution JPEG-only) you can get far beyond 1500 shots. I used the K-5 as a timelapse device for a while and could shoot about 4000 pictures (give or take 1000) before having to switch the battery. This was of course within a single day, and under very light circumstances for the K-5. But its battery life is really fantastic, I've never had to switch a battery within 600 pictures under any circumstances (I never used built-in flash though, that might matter).
Thinking about buying a new leftover K-5 ii. Is this camera still relevant in 2018 , even with its AA filter? My current back-up camera is the K-S2 for my K-1ii...what's the opinion here?
11-15-2018, 12:16 AM   #2404

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Thinking about buying a new leftover K-5 ii. Is this camera still relevant in 2018 , even with its AA filter? My current back-up camera is the K-S2 for my K-1ii...what's the opinion here?
I have a K5ii and haven't been tempted to upgrade to any of the more recent Pentax cameras though I will be tempted by the K3ii replacement. I haven't used the KS-2 to compare it to though.

11-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #2405
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
Not me.
The man said about 1500+ shots with heavy 150-450 in AF-C with LCD on, deleting and viewing...Hard to believe.
11-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #2406
Pentaxian

I've once got over 1500 frames with a single battery charge, with the K-1. Bursts, AF-C and with some LCD usage.
11-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #2407
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I've once got over 1500 frames with a single battery charge, with the K-1. Bursts, AF-C and with some LCD usage.
He can do it regularly with old K-5.

11-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #2408
Banned

Photos: Gallery
If you put the K-5 on energy saving with a good battery and don't chimp to much that can be done. I think the most I got was on a tournament where I made Black and White jpg images, 3 star quality. That came up total of 2000 images. Didn't had to do any postprocessing, just deleting half of the images and the rest just transferred.
11-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #2409
Pentaxian

I never put the K-5 through the same pace as I did with the K-1. Surprisingly, the very first test of the landscape-oriented FF was at an airshow...
So I cannot say that the K-5 can do the same, but I strongly suspect it likely does.

The factor making a huge difference was shooting bursts.
11-15-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2410
Veteran Member

i had the K-5 and the KP is a major improvment versus the old one. I took thousand on photo with my KP on my trip to visit the western Canada and USA. AF is faster, visor is brigter, ergonomic for me is better, got the new 55-300 and it’s absolutly the fastest lense that Pentax have and work like a charm on the KP.
11-15-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #2411
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's funny story. If I have CIPA level's shots is normal. It's not a problem. Your story is unique for Pentax cameras. I had K-5 too and several original D-Li90 and never heard such fabs. Yes, I can get approx. 1000 shots with manual lens. And I know such users. But 1500+ with AF-C - you can't prove it.
With respect, he doesn't have to prove it. You can take his comment at face value, or not. But let's not suggest he is fabricating the information. That's tantamount to calling someone a liar, and we won't have that here.
11-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #2412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, he doesn't have to prove it. You can take his comment at face value, or not. But let's not suggest he is fabricating the information. That's tantamount to calling someone a liar, and we won't have that here.
Funny that this thread is still going on.

Looks like no K3 III till next year. Probably will see something priced in the 1200 dollar range. Dual card slots, updated auto focus with more points (and better tracking) shared with the new full frame camera, excellent buffer size, and probably the first Pentax camera with 4K video. Body style will include three dials like the K-1 and be between the K-P and K3 in size. Frame rate will be in the 8 to 9 range -- good enough for most users, but not at D500 level. Live view and video auto focus will use PDAF points on the sensor and will be the first Pentax with fairly rapid focus in both of these modes.

There will be considerable sharing of tech between platforms and this will help keep R and D costs under control. Will be released summer to fall of 2019.

Now, I know nothing, but I am guessing that is what we are looking at.
11-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #2413

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Funny that this thread is still going on.

... good enough for most users, but not at D500 leve....
Sorry for the selective posting but I keep reading this statement, but the next Pentax should be as good as a camera released 3 years ago (January 2016). The competition are catching Pentax at all the good stuff they do, but Pentax are falling further behind in the areas they were never good at to start with (auto focus in this case).

Budget isn't an excuse for being stagnant (edit - actually it is, but then they should pack up and go home).
11-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #2414
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Sorry for the selective posting but I keep reading this statement, but the next Pentax should be as good as a camera released 3 years ago (January 2016). The competition are catching Pentax at all the good stuff they do, but Pentax are falling further behind in the areas they were never good at to start with (auto focus in this case).

Budget isn't an excuse for being stagnant (edit - actually it is, but then they should pack up and go home).
Well Pentax is still not at the level of the 2007 Canon 1D Mark III with af. So there is no rush needed.
11-15-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #2415
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Pentax doesn't claim to be competing with D5, D500, D850, etc.; their market is "field cameras" ..... and they certainly aren't 'stagnant' there. Actually they aren't 'stagnant' in AF either - those who have used KP + PLM lens say the combination focuses much better than the K-3ii + 55-300 lens available two years ago.
Closed Thread