Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1279 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #2416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
I have a K5ii and haven't been tempted to upgrade to any of the more recent Pentax cameras though I will be tempted by the K3ii replacement. I haven't used the KS-2 to compare it to though.
Wormwood:
My biggest gripe is that I can't seem to find a leftover K-5iis, SO my question is: with all of your K-5ii experience, is the Anti-Alias filter a problem under cropping photos due to the slight blurring effect that the AA has on prime lenses attached to cameras with AA sensors?

I'd like to hear from experienced k-5ii owners because the 16.3 MP sensor was one of my favorites in the Pentax line (I had a K-50 that I really loved until there was a shutter issue). Thanks.

11-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #2417

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Wormwood:
My biggest gripe is that I can't seem to find a leftover K-5iis, SO my question is: with all of your K-5ii experience, is the Anti-Alias filter a problem under cropping photos due to the slight blurring effect that the AA has on prime lenses attached to cameras with AA sensors?

I'd like to hear from experienced k-5ii owners because the 16.3 MP sensor was one of my favorites in the Pentax line (I had a K-50 that I really loved until there was a shutter issue). Thanks.
As far as I know the K5 had the AA filter (I had one) but the K5ii was the first one without an AA filter...so probably no blurring due to an AA filter =)
11-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #2418
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, he doesn't have to prove it. You can take his comment at face value, or not. But let's not suggest he is fabricating the information. That's tantamount to calling someone a liar, and we won't have that here.
There are official data of manufacturer about batteries and my own experience from 2005 year. If the numbers of shots are 2 times+ higher with the same camera I use and higher than official information, I can think about this user what I want.
11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #2419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
As far as I know the K5 had the AA filter (I had one) but the K5ii was the first one without an AA filter...so probably no blurring due to an AA filter =)
The K-5ii has an AA filter, the K-5iis doesn't (see Pentax Forum Camera Reviews for confirmation).

11-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #2420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There are official data of manufacturer about batteries and my own experience from 2005 year. If the numbers of shots are 2 times+ higher with the same camera I use and higher than official information, I can think about this user what I want.
Nobody will stop you from thinking whatever you want, but your reasoning is deeply flawed.
Remember: over 1500 frames on a camera CIPA-rated for 760. I did that personally, and there's no mystery about how: I was not following CIPA's testing methodology.
One could also get much less.
11-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #2421
Banned

Wormwood:

When the lens is sharp (hi quality), you can simply make sharp images on k-5/k-5ii and the difference with k-5iis isn't that big.
11-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #2422
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
When the lens is sharp (hi quality), you can simply make sharp images on k-5/k-5ii and the difference with k-5iis isn't that big.
Indeed.
Why bother getting something else if it does the job in good hands?
The K5 I own still rocks.

11-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #2423

The K-5ii has an AA filter, the K-5iis doesn't (see Pentax Forum Camera Reviews for confirmation).
Ah yes, there were two versions, my bad!
11-15-2018, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #2424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Sorry for the selective posting but I keep reading this statement, but the next Pentax should be as good as a camera released 3 years ago (January 2016). The competition are catching Pentax at all the good stuff they do, but Pentax are falling further behind in the areas they were never good at to start with (auto focus in this case).

Budget isn't an excuse for being stagnant (edit - actually it is, but then they should pack up and go home).
The question is if Pentax needs to have a camera that is a sports camera. 10 to 12 fps is probably too much of a mountain for Pentax to climb -- not if you expect accompanying tracking auto focus. This has never been their strong point and I wouldn't expect it to be here. From a personal standpoint, I want to see progress, not miracles.

At the same time, Pentax has always had superb still image quality and if they continue to have things like astro tracer and pixel shift, plenty of photographers who don't need super fast frame rates could still be interested in a K3 sequel.
11-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #2425
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
We can all think what we want, of course... But let's keep things respectful between all members

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.
11-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #2426
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surly Ricoh would develop the K-1 and K-3 replacements at the same time? I see the K-1 as a full frame development of the K-3 with improvements. To move forward, I think Ricoh need to develop a new architecture that will enable faster FPS, AF and bigger buffer. Also 4K would be useful. So why not develop a new architecture for ASP-C and FF at the same time?

One of the biggest bottlenecks for AF is the slow to focus lenses. So in some ways it is pointless improving AF without introducing new faster focus lenses such as the D FA*50mm and the new PLM.
I'm expecting next year the fulfillment of the roadmapped FF lenses, a new ASP-C flagship as well as a D850 style FF camera. (maybe Hybrid viewfinder) I also expect the ASP-C camera to be larger in size than the K3. Perhaps 2020 will see some more fast focus D FA lenses emerge.

Last edited by BROO; 11-15-2018 at 05:13 PM.
11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #2427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@reh321: the KP and K-3II use the same SAFOX 11 autofocus module, so there should be little difference between the AF capabilities beyond firmware tweaks. The PLM is lightning-fast on the K-3II also!
11-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #2428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Surly Ricoh would develop the K-1 and K-3 replacements at the same time? I see the K-1 as a full frame development of the K-3 with improvements. To move forward, I think Ricoh need to develop a new architecture that will enable faster FPS, AF and bigger buffer. Also 4K would be useful. So why not develop a new architecture for ASP-C and FF at the same time?

One of the biggest bottlenecks for AF is the slow to focus lenses. So in some ways it is pointless improving AF without introducing new faster focus lenses such as the D FA*50mm and the new PLM.
I'm expecting next year the fulfillment of the roadmapped FF lenses, a new ASP-C flagship as well as a D850 style FF camera. (maybe Hybrid viewfinder) I also expect the ASP-C camera to be larger in size than the K3. Perhaps 2020 will see some more fast focus D FA lenses emerge.
Yeah even though Pentax has come out saying they make "field" cameras, which pretty much makes 'em a "poor-mans Hasselblad" (which isn't a bad thing), that will only work for them for so long in the apsc/FF field.

If they (Ricoh) wants to gain more users/make the current user-base happy, some of the "minimum requirements" they should do is to increase the buffer (~40+), more AF points (~90+), both card slots UHS-II compatible, usb-3, & improved video. For the K-1II replacement, it doesnt have to match Nikon's D850 in every spec, but even if it can get close to it in some areas, I see alot of Pentax users being happy.
11-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #2429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
One of the biggest bottlenecks for AF is the slow to focus lenses. So in some ways it is pointless improving AF without introducing new faster focus lenses such as the D FA*50mm and the new PLM.I'm expecting next year the fulfillment of the roadmapped FF lenses, a new ASP-C flagship as well as a D850 style FF camera. (maybe Hybrid viewfinder) I also expect the ASP-C camera to be larger in size than the K3. Perhaps 2020 will see some more fast focus D FA lenses emerge.
Yeh. I think this also. Pentax also needs updated DA lineup. My DA primes (especially DA 50 and DA 35) are really slow to focus in anything but daylight :/
I really don't think an updated APS-C body can bring bigger improvements over previous generation but Pentax has shown it can build a good lens. Tho i hope DAs wont be oversized like new Ds.
11-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #2430
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Yeh. I think this also. Pentax also needs updated DA lineup. My DA primes (especially DA 50 and DA 35) are really slow to focus in anything but daylight :/
I really don't think an updated APS-C body can bring bigger improvements over previous generation but Pentax has shown it can build a good lens. Tho i hope DAs wont be oversized like new Ds.
Well don't expect much development for aps-c lenses in the DA series for 2019. It is fullframe for most development.
Closed Thread