Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yongnuo 14mm f2.8 Auto-focus Lens

Petapixel reports from Nikon Rumors that Yongnuo is about to release an auto-focus 14/2.8 lens, which they say will probably be available for Nikon and Canon DSLRs. There's no mention of a Pentax version in the article, but the interest shown in the company's flash system for Pentax compatibility lends some hope that this lens may be made available in K-mount, at least later if not immediately.

Attached Images

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 12-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.
12-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Petapixel reports from Nikon Rumors that Yongnuo is about to release an auto-focus 14/2.8 lens, which they say will probably be available for Nikon and Canon DSLRs. There's no mention of a Pentax version in the article, but the interest shown in the company's flash system for Pentax compatibility lends some hope that this lens may be made available in K-mount, at least later if not immediately.
Why would they? Yongnuo has never released any of their other AF lenses in K mount. If they aren't mentioning K mount now that likely means they never will (for this lens).
12-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you believe that past behaviour is an inevitable pointer to the future, then that may be the case. However, since the advent of the K-1 and the KAF-4 mount, circumstances may have changed sufficiently to make a business case for including Pentax in the list of supported systems.
12-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

If you believe that past behaviour is an inevitable pointer to the future, then that may be the case. However, since the advent of the K-1 and the KAF-4 mount, circumstances may have changed sufficiently to make a business case for including Pentax in the list of supported systems.
If they were going to support K mount, they would have listed it. The company has never gone back and supported another brand. And thus there is no proof they ever will change that. It seems they have a development cycle, they manufacture, and then they move on to the next one.

That said, looking at the reviews of the other Yongnuo lenses we aren't missing much. Some are optically horribad (40mm) while others (35 and 50) flare and glare awfully. The Canon models are different than the Nikons using an inferior and loud motor. It is is a cobbled together amalgamation of 3rd rate trash. And their own MTFs show it.

Better off with a solid copy of the Irix 15mm which IS available for K mount. AF not so useful at such a wide angle...

12-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo might have some flashes for Pentax, but its lenses have never been Kmount. I don't think they will start now. But sure, would be nice to see. Wider support for Kmount is always a plus for Pentax
12-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Curious about size/weight comparisons between this and the Samyang 14 f2.8. It looks pretty tidy.

That said, this looks like another Yongnuo lens that was designed to look like a Canon part to anyone not paying too much attention. Which isn't a crime, exactly, but it doesn't seem to be a product that would stand on its own merits vs. something like the Irix wide primes.

Will be curious to read the eventual reviews.
12-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been looking at the Samyang and Irix offerings in this range for a while, now, so anything new there catches my attention. If this one turns out to be a dud optically (as the other offerings from Yongnuo to date seem to have been) then we aren't missing much if it never appears in a K-mount, but that remains to be seen.

However, for those choosing to relegate Yongnuo, at least as far as their lenses go, let me remind you that it's within living memory for many of us that anything coming out of Japan was likewise dismissed, because of its history of poor products (Mitsubishi Zeros and the like excepted, of course). If you were born after that time or have a poor grasp of history, then you have some excuse for negativity. Of course, you may be right in this case, but then again...
12-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which Yongnuo lenses are the most dud-like optically? I never paid them much attention due to them not being available with a k-mount (and who would bother converting one?) but the couple reviews I've read seemed pretty okay with the optical quality with things like build quality or AF performance & noise being key complaints. Help me out here, I want to look at some pictures of brick walls.

12-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
mee
Pentaxian

I've been looking at the Samyang and Irix offerings in this range for a while, now, so anything new there catches my attention. If this one turns out to be a dud optically (as the other offerings from Yongnuo to date seem to have been) then we aren't missing much if it never appears in a K-mount, but that remains to be seen.

However, for those choosing to relegate Yongnuo, at least as far as their lenses go, let me remind you that it's within living memory for many of us that anything coming out of Japan was likewise dismissed, because of its history of poor products (Mitsubishi Zeros and the like excepted, of course). If you were born after that time or have a poor grasp of history, then you have some excuse for negativity. Of course, you may be right in this case, but then again...

Yongnuo has (a) never offered a Pentax K mount lens (b) never claimed they were ever going to offer a Pentax K mount lens and (c) not claimed this lens specifically will ever be offered in Pentax K mount.

So this isn't Pentax News. It would be Pentax news if the lens company had announced K mount availability for this lens.

I never really wanted to rain on your parade, but saying 'it might happen' just gets hopes up for no reason.

That Irix 15mm is pretty sharp and has a smooth focusing ring. Oh and it is available today -- just be ready to possibly exchange to get a good copy.
12-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yongnuo might have some flashes for Pentax, but its lenses have never been Kmount. I don't think they will start now. But sure, would be nice to see. Wider support for Kmount is always a plus for Pentax
To be honest, they have only recently made ONE flash for Pentax, and while the YN585EX is a decent cheap basic P-TTL flash, I don't think I've seen any discussion of it that didn't revolve around the lack of features like HSS and radio-sync, which will probably mean low enough sales that they won't bother with a higher-end model. The vast majority of their flashes used on Pentax are center-pin manuals, about equivalent to T-mount MF lenses that could be used on K-mount, but weren't specifically designed for it.

But who knows? Yongnuo will go where the (low-budget, consumer grade) money is. I just wouldn't expect a lot when the most expensive lens in the series is less than US$200.
12-22-2017, 04:17 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think developing AF lenses in the K-mount isn't cost-effective for third parties because of the reverse engineering required. Manual focus lenses, on the other hand, can easily be made in a variety of mounts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: