Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well LiveView with contrast AF is an easy guess but how true is that ...
Well, as long as we're talking AF, how about SAFOX IX ?

09-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Am I the only one that doesn't want another "entry level" camera? I think the K200D fits that role just about perfectly. If you have to add something I suppose a switch to a CMOS sensor with Live View could be good for marketing purposes, but I think its a perfectly fine entry level camera as is.

I'm sure Pentax wants a Sony A200/D40/Rebel xTi type of camera because they sell so well, but at least here in America that type of camera is purchased through Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart and Target. Last I checked Pentax isn't on the shelves of any of them. Unless they are also announcing a deal with Best Buy then I don't see the point. That market isn't going to scour the internet looking for a slightly better alternative to the D40. They go to the store, pick out one they like, then buy it.

I for one want a "Limited" body, not some cheapo plastic Nikon D40/Rebel knock off.
09-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A direct-print button

Most amusing reply.

While the competition is coming up with new buttons for new functions (fn button, RAW button etc.), all Canon could think of was a direct-print button.
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #49

As a beginning enthusiast, I have been waiting for the return of an ist sized model for a while. I think there is a market for such a camera as I find the K20D/K200D too bulky and I don't need wx sealing. I would like usable LV and improved AF (wishing for a real dedicated AF assist).

From experience of standing around retail counters, most consumers don't go and pick out what they like. They go to big box stores to be told what to buy so they can be relieved of the burden of researching for themselves. They like choice but more than two choices is too confusing. The salesperson (with apparent agenda) steers the customer towards a specific brand while dogging the others. With certain retailers at multiple locations I've repeatedly observed Sony being deified while Canikon are demonized.

I imagine it's very expensive and cut throat to get shelf space in major big box stores. Hoya is doing OK through online outlets and are expanding into new retail:

Staples®- Office Supplies, Electronics, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Copy Paper

For public perception, Pentax needs a FF "pro" camera. Pentaxians are not followers but followers pay the bills and that translates into nicer products for all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Am I the only one that doesn't want another "entry level" camera?

...Last I checked Pentax isn't on the shelves of any of them.

...They go to the store, pick out one they like, then buy it.

09-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #50
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Well, as long as we're talking AF, how about SAFOX IX ?
Maybe...

I'm in mixed emotions...

Last edited by ogl; 09-02-2008 at 11:33 PM.
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #51

you know..... I wouldn't be suprised if Pentax totally suprise everyone and announce both a new entry level and a pro model at photokina.
09-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

I think that entry level will be good for a lot of users...
09-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #53
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that entry level will be good for a lot of users...

And I'm sure you'll be amazed by its features.
Rui

09-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #54
ogl
Banned

No any special features. All is rather classical, but...I like it.
09-03-2008, 05:34 AM   #55
Veteran Member

i'd be very happy with a very small and light body that's well-made, and a 2.5" screen and a good VF. i wouldn't need LV but it'd be nice, but i'd rather have the body's price go down. ISO performance up to K20D's would be really awesome for me. don't need fancy features, just good handling/interface/usability to let me shoot photos with the pancake DAs at a low price
09-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nuqemie Quote
As a beginning enthusiast, I have been waiting for the return of an ist sized model for a while.
I'm all for small, but I'd prefer quality to go along with it.
09-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #57
Pentaxian

No any special features. All is rather classical, but...I like it.
More classical can only mean a few things. First: a separate shutter speed dial with an "A" setting (remember the MZ-5 which went back to the roots with its user interface?). Second: a separate ISO dial. Third: will they make a smaller "battery compartment"? I don't hope they will get back to the Silver & Black layout of the camera (I like black). There's not much else to make it more classical because a camera without a LCD screen on the back will not sell.

I've always liked dedicated dials above function keys and key combinations (for instance OK + front wheel to change the ISO) but that's just me. It can't really get more classical and intuitive than that. With dedicated dials you can see the settings at a glance.
09-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
More classical can only mean a few things. First: a separate shutter speed dial with an "A" setting (remember the MZ-5 which went back to the roots with its user interface?). Second: a separate ISO dial. Third: will they make a smaller "battery compartment"? I don't hope they will get back to the Silver & Black layout of the camera (I like black). There's not much else to make it more classical because a camera without a LCD screen on the back will not sell.

I've always liked dedicated dials above function keys and key combinations (for instance OK + front wheel to change the ISO) but that's just me. It can't really get more classical and intuitive than that. With dedicated dials you can see the settings at a glance.
It' s entry level camera. Don't forget it. Pentax doesn't invent bike.

It has at least 5 difference from K200D.
4 is not very essential for me, but 1 -

it seems to me that everything will be clear on September, 12-15.

but...Pentax can wait until Photokina
it's a bit slow company...
09-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #59
Busiko

It' s entry level camera. Don't forget it. Pentax doesn't invent bike.

It has at least 5 difference from K200D.
4 is not very essential for me, but 1 -

it seems to me that everything will be clear on September, 12-15.

but...Pentax can wait until Photokina
it's a bit slow company...
I don't remember from these discussions which are your preferences. But from from 5 differences...hmm ... let's see... Liveview of course, it's a must, otherwise instead of an ENTRY level you get an EXIT level( see eos1K). Lack of weather sealing, OK, that makes 2, two more I can't guess and at last a CMOS 14.6Mpxl sensor. And now what about that?
Rui

Last edited by Busiko; 09-03-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: OK, the other Two are size and Weight.
09-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #60
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
I don't remember from these discussions which are your preferences. But from from 5 differences...hmm ... let's see... Liveview of course, it's a must, otherwise instead of an ENTRY level you get an EXIT level( see eos1K). Lack of weather sealing, OK, that makes 2, two more I can't guess and at last a CMOS 14.6Mpxl sensor. And now what about that?
Rui
Camera is simplier than you think. I'm not sure that it has CMOS.

The small differences are a bit more than 5.