Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #151
Veteran Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 335
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I already said earlier in this thread that they need to move to UHS-II. The K-1 is hobbled because they only used UHS-I. The K-1 would have better video and frame rates and overall better performance with UHS-II.

With 4 Micro SD card slots would there really be the need to change cards in the field?

XQD is really the best path forward for sheer performance/capacity.
interesting idea - 4 micro sd card slots

12-28-2017, 11:07 AM - 6 Likes   #152
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,981
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
12-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,000
Maybe it should use floppy disks.
12-28-2017, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 8,259
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Maybe it should use floppy disks.
Punched tape. Imagine a 24 megapickle image encoded on a long streamer of paper tape... Very steam-punk

12-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #155
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 775
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-1 doesn't even use the fastest UHS-I specification, SDR-104 - which would max out a 95MB/sec Sandisk Extreme Pro.

The K-1 would not have better video - unless it can go with lower compression; and it would not have higher frame rates as that's limited by the sensor readout speed, not the card.

4 cards is overkill.
Kunzite I assure you the glass is half full. They can always fill it at anytime instead Ricoh/Pentax stays behind the curve instead of in front of it.

I own a K-1. I am always waiting for the K-1 to catch up with me due to the UHS-I bus in normal operation. The sensor can not readout faster than the bottle neck UHS-1 bus. All aspects of the K-1 handling from frame rates to responsiveness to lack of 4k video would benefit from UHS-II.

How is 4 cards overkill? If you can fit 4 Micro SD card slots where they have 2 SD card slots how is that over kill? As a field camera 4 slots is a blessing. Now the storage options are that much more advantageous. You could set Video and Photo back up to separate cards. Or each card slot could be set to a different USER set up. Time-lapse etc all benefit from more storage space.

The XQD in the long term is the best option for performance. The entire architecture could be PCI Express.

Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
12-28-2017, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,981
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Punched tape. Imagine a 24 megapickle image encoded on a long streamer of paper tape... Very steam-punk
LOL! That brings back so many memories of the smell of that oily paper tape and the clatter of the 110 BAUD TTY THAT COULD ONLY PRINT CAPITAL LETTERS. Oh, and those tiny little punch dots made great confetti.


Lets see... 24 megapickle RAW... at 110 baud... that should take about 4 weeks. (And there's wimps who complain about how long the K-1 takes to clear it's buffer!)
12-28-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
Ah ha ha ha...That'll NEVER sell!

Cheers,
Cameron
12-28-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #158
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,184
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
Clearly, this is the heart of the rumored K1000-D.

12-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #159
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,250
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Kunzite I assure you the glass is half full. They can always fill it at anytime instead Ricoh/Pentax stays behind the curve instead of in front of it.

I own a K-1. I am always waiting for the K-1 to catch up with me due to the UHS-I bus in normal operation. The sensor can not readout faster than the bottle neck UHS-1 bus. All aspects of the K-1 handling from frame rates to responsiveness to lack of 4k video would benefit from UHS-II.

How is 4 cards overkill? If you can fit 4 Micro SD card slots where they have 2 SD card slots how is that over kill? As a field camera 4 slots is a blessing. Now the storage options are that much more advantageous. You could set Video and Photo back up to separate cards. Or each card slot could be set to a different USER set up. Time-lapse etc all benefit from more storage space.

The XQD in the long term is the best option for performance. The entire architecture could be PCI Express.

Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
I also own a K-1, I know firsthand about it's slow buffer clearing.
Lowering the buffer clearing time to 10 seconds or so would be considerable progress. That's doable within UHS-1 specifications. And as I said, there's UHS-II and UHS-III with even higher speeds.
My point? No need to change the card type; increase the write speeds (preferably, with a controller capable of writing to 2 cards at once).

You are mistaken, the sensor readout has nothing to do with the "UHS-1 bus" - sensor readout is from sensor to RAM and not from the sensor to the SD card.
4K is also not possible because the sensor does not support it in the first place. I'm not sure if the PRIME IV processor could encode 4K video (depending which Socionext/Milbeaut processor it actually is); 4K with decent bitrates will likely need UHS-II. But UHS-II by itself solves nothing.

Of course 4 cards are overkill; 2 cards are adding much needed redundancy, another 2... only complexity. Imagine fiddling with 4 minuscule cards after an intense photo session.

XQD would be my favorite if a card format change is needed (not to CF and its bending pins!). But as Pentax doesn't make a speed monster nor a 4k video monster with high bit rates SD would do. 2 XQD cards would make for a larger camera; what I would not want is a SD + XQD combination (like Nikon does).

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-28-2017 at 04:42 PM.
12-28-2017, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #160
Forum Member
Kerebron's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 114
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
Let's make it micro SD belt-fed gatling mechanism! We could make use of those 1GB, or less, cards that nobody wants anymore.
12-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,073
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
...of the rumored K1000-D.
What ?
K1000- Diesel ?
12-29-2017, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,840
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
Agreed. They should produce a nice little compact mirrorless system which has individual leaf shutters in the lenses.
12-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #163
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 775
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I also own a K-1, I know firsthand about it's slow buffer clearing.
Lowering the buffer clearing time to 10 seconds or so would be considerable progress. That's doable within UHS-1 specifications. And as I said, there's UHS-II and UHS-III with even higher speeds.
My point? No need to change the card type; increase the write speeds (preferably, with a controller capable of writing to 2 cards at once).

You are mistaken, the sensor readout has nothing to do with the "UHS-1 bus" - sensor readout is from sensor to RAM and not from the sensor to the SD card.
4K is also not possible because the sensor does not support it in the first place. I'm not sure if the PRIME IV processor could encode 4K video (depending which Socionext/Milbeaut processor it actually is); 4K with decent bitrates will likely need UHS-II. But UHS-II by itself solves nothing.

Of course 4 cards are overkill; 2 cards are adding much needed redundancy, another 2... only complexity. Imagine fiddling with 4 minuscule cards after an intense photo session.

XQD would be my favorite if a card format change is needed (not to CF and its bending pins!). But as Pentax doesn't make a speed monster nor a 4k video monster with high bit rates SD would do. 2 XQD cards would make for a larger camera; what I would not want is a SD + XQD combination (like Nikon does).
Kunzite all I am saying is Ricoh/Pentax should have implemented UHS-II in the K-1 and the camera would be much more responsive. Going UHS-I left no hope of improving performance after release.

Ricoh/Pentax should be implementing UHS-III in what ever they are releasing next skipping UHS-II altogether.

Cards are so huge now there should be no need to have to stop to change a card. The K-1 can handle a TB of storage. In the future they will get even larger still.

Last edited by Rico; 12-29-2017 at 10:08 AM.
12-29-2017, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #164
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,155
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Agreed. They should produce a nice little compact mirrorless system which has individual leaf shutters in the lenses.
Hey, I liQe the way you thinQ!
12-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #165
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,250
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Kunzite all I am saying is Ricoh/Pentax should have implemented UHS-II in the K-1 and the camera would be much more responsive. Going UHS-I left no hope of improving performance after release.

Ricoh/Pentax should be implementing UHS-III in what ever they are releasing next skipping UHS-II altogether.
And I explained why you are mistaken. It's no big deal, it happens.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
batteries, battery, camera, cameras, card, chips, dont, iii, images, k-1, k-3, memory, nikon, pentax, pentax k-3 iii, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, replacement, space, ssd, storage, uhs-i, video, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TCSTV Live: Our Predictions for 2018 (Pentax) luftfluss Pentax DSLR Discussion 65 12-28-2017 07:21 PM
Weekly Challenge Caption Contest 21 Sep - 28 Sep 2017 NickDB Weekly Photo Challenges 21 09-30-2017 09:38 AM
Weekly Challenge Caption Contest 05 Sep - 12 Sep 2017 NickDB Weekly Photo Challenges 18 09-13-2017 03:10 PM
Tim Walker using the Pentax 645z to shoot the Pirelli 2018 Calendar EdMaximus Photographic Industry and Professionals 28 07-27-2017 11:14 AM
Architecture Nizhny Novgorod, construction of a stadium for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Chetverovod Post Your Photos! 3 04-01-2017 10:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top