Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It works for cars, (among other things); why not cameras?
Because it just won't satisfy the inner anally-retentive-geek in many (if not most) amateur photographers. If one could know a model's position in a lineup just from its name, there would be no gloatingly self-satisfied smugness to be had from knowing that the G-732A mk-iii was the upper midrange crop body from 2007, just above the Z-27G and below the H-877 mk-vii

Also, the ill-educated would know what they were buying and its relative value at a glance, and the shareholders wouldn't want that.

12-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Really? A completely illogical, unorganized naming system would work better than the established conventions?
Then, tell me please, which camera is likely to have the higher specs: Alice or Bob?
12-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #18

This rumor is based on completely nothing therefore, the successor of the K-3 II WILL NOT be called K-3 xx
12-25-2017, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They did indeed run out of numbers. The K-7/K-5/K-3 sequence was cut short by the fullframe K-1. The K-1 is itself a dead end.
K-1ii, (K-1 'two', K-1 'too'), sounds like a regression.

Once again I purpose that Ricoh, et al, get away from sequential numbering and simply give each product line a name. Distinctions between
model versions can simply be made by the year the product was released. Thus, the top of the line APS-C line could be named 'Alice'.
The entry level named 'Tom'. The full frame named 'Hector'. Etc. Rather than comparing a K-5ii vs a K-3ii, you would simply compare the
2012 Alice vs the 2015 Alice.

It works for cars, (among other things); why not cameras?
If Pentax should bring back Q they would once again have four distinct lines, ergo Bob, Carol, Ted, and Alice.

12-25-2017, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The "article" reads like pure speculation to me...

I'm voting for Alice as the top-of-the-line, bottom-of-the-rabbit-hole.
12-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Really? A completely illogical, unorganized naming system would work better than the established conventions?
Then, tell me please, which camera is likely to have the higher specs: Alice or Bob?
First question: Yes.

Second question: That's what spec sheets are for. No un-educated person knows the difference between a K-1, D850 or 5D Mark IV, and those
numbers give no indication which might be of higher spec.
12-25-2017, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is no-news news. Nothing to see here.

This non-article aside, they are taking their time with a K-3ii successor. Which is good news. Hopefully this means they are working hard on getting it right.
12-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

First question: Yes.

Second question: That's what spec sheets are for. No un-educated person knows the difference between a K-1, D850 or 5D Mark IV, and those
numbers give no indication which might be of higher spec.
Thank you; that is precisely my point, that you'd know nothing about the camera without studying its spec sheet. Yet you can say the K-1 is higher end than the K-3 because of the lower digit (convention), the D850 must be the D800 and D810's successor, and the 5D Mark IV is the fourth camera in a line above the 6Ds but below the 1Ds.

12-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Thank you; that is precisely my point, that you'd know nothing about the camera without studying its spec sheet. Yet you can say the K-1 is higher end than the K-3 because of the lower digit (convention), the D850 must be the D800 and D810's successor, and the 5D Mark IV is the fourth camera in a line above the 6Ds but below the 1Ds.
How does this make sense? How does someone know that Pentax specs go up with smaller numbers, while Nikon goes down in spec with lower numbers?
That requires foreknowledge; it is not inherent in the naming scheme.

On the other hand, it's almost a certain bet the 2015 Alice will be of higher spec than the 2012 Alice. Same for the Tom, Hector, Dave and the ever popular
Ninja Rocket Man.
12-25-2017, 02:27 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Pentax should bring back Q they would once again have four distinct lines, ergo Bob, Carol, Ted, and Alice.
12-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark, that should come with the full mouth warning, as in swallow before viewing or risk laughing so hard you're wearing it.
12-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Mark, that should come with the full mouth warning, as in swallow before viewing or risk laughing so hard you're wearing it.
Are you still on Christmas lunch? I'm having leftovers for Boxing Day breakfast.
12-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Are you still on Christmas lunch? I'm having leftovers for Boxing Day breakfast.
I'm in between meals, but glass of eggnog was in hand at the time. Close call, but disaster avoided!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

-David

12-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Close call indeed!
Merry Christmas!
12-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #30
Pentaxian

How does this make sense? How does someone know that Pentax specs go up with smaller numbers, while Nikon goes down in spec with lower numbers?
That requires foreknowledge; it is not inherent in the naming scheme.

On the other hand, it's almost a certain bet the 2015 Alice will be of higher spec than the 2012 Alice. Same for the Tom, Hector, Dave and the ever popular
Ninja Rocket Man.
So what if instead of Alice you're saying D8x0, or 5D (Mk I, II, III...)? What if instead of Bob you're saying K-1? See, your system doesn't add anything at all.

OTOH, nobody familiar with the existing conventions would wonder if the K-70 is a higher-end camera than the K-1. The K-1 itself gives an extremely clear message: it's the top of the K line. There's no question about that - but, who the h**l is Bob?
Closed Thread