Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'll pass updates. .
. .
Without flash, with big size and heavy body ,
without other formats for shoting except native 3:2.
without touchscreen,
without option to primarily have Live View LCD turned on, when you start the camera,
without electronic shutter,
. .
I would pass . .
I want my camera usable in every situation.
K3 is lacking many of stuffs I want to see in my camera,
but 2,3 years ago, there was not much to think. .
Specially for the price.
. .
Now, I want more. If Pentax can't deliver it,
I would sold my gear, or continue to pass these 'updates'. .

12-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Ricoh also should start moving everything to micro SD.
Say what?
12-28-2017, 03:05 AM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a point to the micro SD suggestion. You can pop it straight in your phone to upload to the web whilst on location, and some modern laptops don't have regular SD (my new one for example)

12-28-2017, 03:11 AM - 3 Likes   #139
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Micro SDs are all well and good, but I wouldn't want to be removing and replacing them in the field on a cold day... just too small and fiddly for my big fingers.

Micro SD with an SD adapter seems to work well enough for those who like the smaller card...

12-28-2017, 03:16 AM - 3 Likes   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera's should just come with a sizeable built in memory and an extension slot. It would enable them to achieve much faster internal writing speeds if implemented right.
12-28-2017, 03:53 AM   #141
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Camera's should just come with a sizeable built in memory and an extension slot. It would enable them to achieve much faster internal writing speeds if implemented right.
Given the tiny physical size and minimal cost of memory modules these days, I agree completely.
12-28-2017, 04:13 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I could see Battery packs with memory or memory compartments. I think the camera bodies are way too crammed already.

12-28-2017, 04:17 AM   #143
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I could see Battery packs with memory or memory compartments. I think the camera bodies are way too crammed already.
But think of the physical dimensions of an SD card slot... that's considerably larger than the memory module within the card itself.
12-28-2017, 04:30 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But think of the physical dimensions of an SD card slot... that's considerably larger than the memory module within the card itself.
I am not an engineer so this is just my wild guess but I reckon there is plenty of space in battery packs for an ssd interface and storage. Plus it would give you options of various sizes.

I am not talking about another SD card slot, but a proper and fast dedicated SSD memory interface with super fast write speeds.
12-28-2017, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't find it practical to change storage when a battery runs out of juice. Memory could simply be integrated on the camera motherboard without taking a significant amount of space. micro sd is available up to 400GB right now. Samsung has a storage chip that can contain 512GB and can write 860MBPS (up to 20 K-1 raw files per second, so who needs a buffer ). https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-512gb-memory-chip-announcement/
12-28-2017, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #146
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We've talked about SSDs in cameras before and it seems like a workflow nightmare unless the SSD is so large it can contain an entire day's shooting (in which case the SSD becomes a huge risk of loss.)

Moving images off the SSD so one can continue shooting would really suck. It would take time and the user would need to be extremely careful about keeping track of which photos they've copied and which can be deleted to free up space. It's much faster to pop in another card and keep shooting.

If a removable card gets an error, you can immediately swap in another card, continue shooting, and take the faulty card home for careful recovery. If an SSD gets an error, you are in a world of hurt.

An internal SSD also has the disadvantage that if the camera's battery is dead, there's no way to get the images off the camera until the battery is recharged. A removable card can be taken out and read by another device.

An internal SSD makes the entire camera more expensive, harder to use, and less reliable. The better way for speed is a faster removable card system including true simultaneous writing to both slots. Of course, there's a good chance that will require a larger, more powerful 3-cell battery like some of the bloat-body Canons and Nikons use.

---------- Post added 12-28-17 at 07:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I am not an engineer so this is just my wild guess but I reckon there is plenty of space in battery packs for an ssd interface and storage. Plus it would give you options of various sizes.

I am not talking about another SD card slot, but a proper and fast dedicated SSD memory interface with super fast write speeds.
It's an intriguing idea!

Alas, it's also a recipe for a battery fire. Memory chips (especially fast memory chips) tend to get hot and lithium ion batteries tend to self-combust when they get hot. Even a single hot-spot on a battery is enough to start thermal runaway inside the battery. Heat sources & batteries don't mix.
12-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Micro Sd will allow for Ricoh/Pentax to keep their cameras smaller like the GR. The extra space could be used for a larger battery so the GR has the same battery as the KP etc. Or the GR could have 2 Micro SD slots instead of one. The card capacities are so large now there really is not as much need to have to change cards in the field. I haven't had to change a card in the field for years. The K3III could have 4 Micro SD slots instead of 2 SD slots.

As for SSD there is already the XQD format that uses PCI express data transfer interface which delivers speeds and capacities that are far superior than SD. The K-1 should have a XQD slot and 2 Micro SD slots.
12-28-2017, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #148
Pentaxian

Tying batteries and storage is indeed intriguing, but I'm afraid it can't work. Even ignoring stuff like interfacing and space - at some point, you'd reach a nasty situation where you have storage space on empty batteries and no more space on the charged ones.

I can't see myself changing micro SDs on the field.

---------- Post added 28-12-17 at 05:45 PM ----------

By the way, the progress I'd want to see in the next generation of Pentax cameras is more mundane than what's discussed here: increase writing speeds, preferably to at least the fastest UHS-I specification.
There is a lot of room for improvement, a substantial jump just by staying within UHS-I specs and then there's UHS-II which can go much faster, and UHS-III is coming too.
12-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #149
Veteran Member

I already said earlier in this thread that they need to move to UHS-II. The K-1 is hobbled because they only used UHS-I. The K-1 would have better video and frame rates and overall better performance with UHS-II.

With 4 Micro SD card slots would there really be the need to change cards in the field?

XQD is really the best path forward for sheer performance/capacity.
12-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #150
Pentaxian

The K-1 doesn't even use the fastest UHS-I specification, SDR-104 - which would max out a 95MB/sec Sandisk Extreme Pro.

The K-1 would not have better video - unless it can go with lower compression; and it would not have higher frame rates as that's limited by the sensor readout speed, not the card.

4 cards is overkill.
Closed Thread