Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 172 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I already said earlier in this thread that they need to move to UHS-II. The K-1 is hobbled because they only used UHS-I. The K-1 would have better video and frame rates and overall better performance with UHS-II.

With 4 Micro SD card slots would there really be the need to change cards in the field?

XQD is really the best path forward for sheer performance/capacity.
interesting idea - 4 micro sd card slots

12-28-2017, 11:07 AM - 6 Likes   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
12-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Maybe it should use floppy disks.
12-28-2017, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about having a little cassette filled with maybe 12 to 36 micro SD cards inside. You drop the cassette in the back of the camera and thumb-crank a lever to load a fresh SD card. Every time a card fills up, you crank the lever!
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Maybe it should use floppy disks.
Punched tape. Imagine a 24 megapickle image encoded on a long streamer of paper tape... Very steam-punk

12-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-1 doesn't even use the fastest UHS-I specification, SDR-104 - which would max out a 95MB/sec Sandisk Extreme Pro.

The K-1 would not have better video - unless it can go with lower compression; and it would not have higher frame rates as that's limited by the sensor readout speed, not the card.

4 cards is overkill.
Kunzite I assure you the glass is half full. They can always fill it at anytime instead Ricoh/Pentax stays behind the curve instead of in front of it.

I own a K-1. I am always waiting for the K-1 to catch up with me due to the UHS-I bus in normal operation. The sensor can not readout faster than the bottle neck UHS-1 bus. All aspects of the K-1 handling from frame rates to responsiveness to lack of 4k video would benefit from UHS-II.

How is 4 cards overkill? If you can fit 4 Micro SD card slots where they have 2 SD card slots how is that over kill? As a field camera 4 slots is a blessing. Now the storage options are that much more advantageous. You could set Video and Photo back up to separate cards. Or each card slot could be set to a different USER set up. Time-lapse etc all benefit from more storage space.

The XQD in the long term is the best option for performance. The entire architecture could be PCI Express.

Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
12-28-2017, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Punched tape. Imagine a 24 megapickle image encoded on a long streamer of paper tape... Very steam-punk
LOL! That brings back so many memories of the smell of that oily paper tape and the clatter of the 110 BAUD TTY THAT COULD ONLY PRINT CAPITAL LETTERS. Oh, and those tiny little punch dots made great confetti.

Lets see... 24 megapickle RAW... at 110 baud... that should take about 4 weeks. (And there's wimps who complain about how long the K-1 takes to clear it's buffer!)
12-28-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #157
Veteran Member

Ah ha ha ha...That'll NEVER sell!

Cheers,
Cameron

12-28-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly, this is the heart of the rumored K1000-D.
12-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #159
Pentaxian

Kunzite I assure you the glass is half full. They can always fill it at anytime instead Ricoh/Pentax stays behind the curve instead of in front of it.

I own a K-1. I am always waiting for the K-1 to catch up with me due to the UHS-I bus in normal operation. The sensor can not readout faster than the bottle neck UHS-1 bus. All aspects of the K-1 handling from frame rates to responsiveness to lack of 4k video would benefit from UHS-II.

How is 4 cards overkill? If you can fit 4 Micro SD card slots where they have 2 SD card slots how is that over kill? As a field camera 4 slots is a blessing. Now the storage options are that much more advantageous. You could set Video and Photo back up to separate cards. Or each card slot could be set to a different USER set up. Time-lapse etc all benefit from more storage space.

The XQD in the long term is the best option for performance. The entire architecture could be PCI Express.

Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
I also own a K-1, I know firsthand about it's slow buffer clearing.
Lowering the buffer clearing time to 10 seconds or so would be considerable progress. That's doable within UHS-1 specifications. And as I said, there's UHS-II and UHS-III with even higher speeds.
My point? No need to change the card type; increase the write speeds (preferably, with a controller capable of writing to 2 cards at once).

You are mistaken, the sensor readout has nothing to do with the "UHS-1 bus" - sensor readout is from sensor to RAM and not from the sensor to the SD card.
4K is also not possible because the sensor does not support it in the first place. I'm not sure if the PRIME IV processor could encode 4K video (depending which Socionext/Milbeaut processor it actually is); 4K with decent bitrates will likely need UHS-II. But UHS-II by itself solves nothing.

Of course 4 cards are overkill; 2 cards are adding much needed redundancy, another 2... only complexity. Imagine fiddling with 4 minuscule cards after an intense photo session.

XQD would be my favorite if a card format change is needed (not to CF and its bending pins!). But as Pentax doesn't make a speed monster nor a 4k video monster with high bit rates SD would do. 2 XQD cards would make for a larger camera; what I would not want is a SD + XQD combination (like Nikon does).

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-28-2017 at 04:42 PM.
12-28-2017, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #160

Photos: Gallery
Let's make it micro SD belt-fed gatling mechanism! We could make use of those 1GB, or less, cards that nobody wants anymore.
12-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
...of the rumored K1000-D.
What ?
K1000- Diesel ?
12-29-2017, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian

Agreed. They should produce a nice little compact mirrorless system which has individual leaf shutters in the lenses.
12-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I also own a K-1, I know firsthand about it's slow buffer clearing.
Lowering the buffer clearing time to 10 seconds or so would be considerable progress. That's doable within UHS-1 specifications. And as I said, there's UHS-II and UHS-III with even higher speeds.
My point? No need to change the card type; increase the write speeds (preferably, with a controller capable of writing to 2 cards at once).

You are mistaken, the sensor readout has nothing to do with the "UHS-1 bus" - sensor readout is from sensor to RAM and not from the sensor to the SD card.
4K is also not possible because the sensor does not support it in the first place. I'm not sure if the PRIME IV processor could encode 4K video (depending which Socionext/Milbeaut processor it actually is); 4K with decent bitrates will likely need UHS-II. But UHS-II by itself solves nothing.

Of course 4 cards are overkill; 2 cards are adding much needed redundancy, another 2... only complexity. Imagine fiddling with 4 minuscule cards after an intense photo session.

XQD would be my favorite if a card format change is needed (not to CF and its bending pins!). But as Pentax doesn't make a speed monster nor a 4k video monster with high bit rates SD would do. 2 XQD cards would make for a larger camera; what I would not want is a SD + XQD combination (like Nikon does).
Kunzite all I am saying is Ricoh/Pentax should have implemented UHS-II in the K-1 and the camera would be much more responsive. Going UHS-I left no hope of improving performance after release.

Ricoh/Pentax should be implementing UHS-III in what ever they are releasing next skipping UHS-II altogether.

Cards are so huge now there should be no need to have to stop to change a card. The K-1 can handle a TB of storage. In the future they will get even larger still.

Last edited by Rico; 12-29-2017 at 10:08 AM.
12-29-2017, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Agreed. They should produce a nice little compact mirrorless system which has individual leaf shutters in the lenses.
Hey, I liQe the way you thinQ!
12-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Kunzite all I am saying is Ricoh/Pentax should have implemented UHS-II in the K-1 and the camera would be much more responsive. Going UHS-I left no hope of improving performance after release.

Ricoh/Pentax should be implementing UHS-III in what ever they are releasing next skipping UHS-II altogether.
And I explained why you are mistaken. It's no big deal, it happens.
Closed Thread