Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 12:42 PM - 3 Likes   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Kunzite all I am saying is Ricoh/Pentax should have implemented UHS-II in the K-1 and the camera would be much more responsive. Going UHS-I left no hope of improving performance after release.

Ricoh/Pentax should be implementing UHS-III in what ever they are releasing next skipping UHS-II altogether.

Cards are so huge now there should be no need to have to stop to change a card. The K-1 can handle a TB of storage. In the future they will get even larger still.
It's worth noting that BOTH Nikon and Sony made the same "UHS-1" mistake with their 36 Mpix FF cameras, the D810 and the A7Rii. And neither of those cameras can do 4k video either because the sensor simply can't do it.

12-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's worth noting that BOTH Nikon and Sony made the same "UHS-1" mistake with their 36 Mpix FF cameras, the D810 and the A7Rii. And neither of those cameras can do 4k video either because the sensor simply can't do it.
True Photoptimist. Those cameras were released in 2014 2 years before the K-1. In 2016 Nikon launched the D500 with SD UHS-II compliance and XQD slots.

The K-1 is significantly less expensive than those cameras which seems to be the trade off for last years technology.

---------- Post added 12-29-17 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I explained why you are mistaken. It's no big deal, it happens.
Ha ha...Says the kettle to the pot. Good grief Kunzite the New Year is almost here. Cheer up.
12-29-2017, 01:25 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could have written that, but chose not to, because I don't discuss such things when I know absolutely nothing except the history of previous release dates.
12-29-2017, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

Rico, I apologize for trying to have a meaningful, civilized conversation. Have a nice day.

12-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #170
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
the A7Rii. And neither of those cameras can do 4k video
The A7r is the 36mp model that doesnt do 4K.
12-29-2017, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #171
Pentaxian

There are a lot of cameras that don't do 4k.
In 2016 Nikon launched the D500 with SD UHS-II compliance and XQD slots.

The K-1 is significantly less expensive than those cameras which seems to be the trade off for last years technology.
Will you please stop this nonsense... the D500 is a 20.6 MP camera and in no way is capable of the quality image of a K-1, double that if it's a K-1 in pixel shift. No one cares about the apples and oranges comparisons people make day after day. Please, just stop. So the D500 doesn't take as high res images, and doesn't have Pixel Shift, I guess that's the trade off you get for paying more for 4k. Lower res pictures.
12-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are a lot of cameras that don't do 4k.

Will you please stop this nonsense... the D500 is a 20.6 MP camera and in no way is capable of the quality image of a K-1, double that if it's a K-1 in pixel shift. No one cares about the apples and oranges comparisons people make day after day. Please, just stop. So the D500 doesn't take as high res images, and doesn't have Pixel Shift, I guess that's the trade off you get for paying more for 4k. Lower res pictures.
Hey normhead what I said was Nikon introduced UHS-II in the D500. So you just posted total nonsense. I am not comparing the D500 to the K-1. Apparently the experts all agree that the faster UHS-II bus speeds would have been no benefit to the K-1. I disagree.

Holy smokes people lighten up.

Seriously kunzite you are off the rails.

12-29-2017, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #173
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, folks, enough already. No more personal comments, please. Otherwise, I'll have to close the thread, and I'd prefer not to do that.

Please work with me on this? Thanks in advance
12-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #174
Pentaxian

Reviewing what I said:
By the way, the progress I'd want to see in the next generation of Pentax cameras is more mundane than what's discussed here: increase writing speeds, preferably to at least the fastest UHS-I specification.
There is a lot of room for improvement, a substantial jump just by staying within UHS-I specs and then there's UHS-II which can go much faster, and UHS-III is coming too.
So, I'm all for a faster controller.

Lowering the buffer clearing time to 10 seconds or so would be considerable progress. That's doable within UHS-1 specifications. And as I said, there's UHS-II and UHS-III with even higher speeds.
Once again, I'm all for a faster controller.

(Mike, I hope this is fine - no personal content, just re-stating my actual claims)

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
12-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #175
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, I hope this is fine - no personal content, just re-stating my actual claims
It's fine (I've made a couple of minor edits ) - however, I'd appreciate if we can all move on from this particular part of the discussion

How about that K-3III in 2018, folks? Anyone?
12-29-2017, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

Ah, I sit in my room
And I was just, like, staring at the forum, thinking about everything
but then again I was thinking about nothing
And then the forum members came in
And I didn't even notice they were there
And they called my name and I didn't hear them and then they started screaming: "TSM! TSM!"
And I go: "What? What's the matter?"
They go: "What's the matter with you?"
I go: "There's nothing wrong, guys"
They go: "Don't tell us that! You're on other camera forums!"
I go: "No guys, I'm not on other camera forums, I'm okay, I'm just thinking, you know, why don't you get me a K-3II replacement?"
They go: "No! You're on the other camera forums!"
I go: "Guys, I'm okay, I'm just thinking"
And they go: "No! You're not thinking, you're on other camera forums!
Pentax users don't go looking at other camera forums!"
I go: "Guys, just get me a K-3II replacement, please, all I want is a K-3II replacement"
And they wouldn't give it to me!
All I wanted was a K-3II replacement!
Just one K-3II replacement!
And they wouldn't give it to me!
Just a K-3II replacement!
12-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #177
Forum Member

Kunzite I assure you the glass is half full. They can always fill it at anytime instead Ricoh/Pentax stays behind the curve instead of in front of it.

I own a K-1. I am always waiting for the K-1 to catch up with me due to the UHS-I bus in normal operation. The sensor can not readout faster than the bottle neck UHS-1 bus. All aspects of the K-1 handling from frame rates to responsiveness to lack of 4k video would benefit from UHS-II.

How is 4 cards overkill? If you can fit 4 Micro SD card slots where they have 2 SD card slots how is that over kill? As a field camera 4 slots is a blessing. Now the storage options are that much more advantageous. You could set Video and Photo back up to separate cards. Or each card slot could be set to a different USER set up. Time-lapse etc all benefit from more storage space.

The XQD in the long term is the best option for performance. The entire architecture could be PCI Express.

Ricoh/Pentax should do away with the mechanical shutter as well. One less thing in the way to reduce weight and size.
cartridge? mini-sd cards? some users have wild ideas....

4 card ports also sound impractical to me,

but with everything else.... you are 100% right.

UHS-II, totally should be integrated in the next pentax camera.
XQD would also be welcome....
but CFEXPRESS is the thang thats to come....
(and its said of, to be backwards compatible to XQD, whilst having a more widespread acceptance in photo-consortiums.)

An up to date ILC will also need:
faster and longer bursts(bigger and better buffer mem),
4K Video for the video fans is the cat's pajamas - not only for the pros, no! we need that! I am going to sooo enjoy reviewing my nephew and niece playin in the garden in 4k on my new screen.

talking about video, slo-mo recordings would also be welcome...

small compact cameras can throw elbow long bursts with 16 pix a second or more
... i totally understand why you don't like those drawbacks rico.

I bought a Sony RX100 IV not so long ago... and looked a bit into the sony system. and i have to say:

The EVF on that thing is sooo NICE!!!
This is the bees knees... you look through that little viewfinder and there may be a lag but man you just dont see it. NEVER.
WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet ALWAYS.
Exposure correction up....... e voila: you see exactly how it will affect the picture you will take
IMMEDIATELY!!
and since the handling and button layout of this little thing is really well made, all things are clear and you dont have to take off your eyes from the viewfinder when you want to alter the cameras settings.
Everything you change,... you see it in that little viewfinder.
histogram - BAM- in your face... you see it as an overlay in the bottom right in the EVF
change mode from single to burst to burst "time priority" to exposure bracketing to white balance bracketing - BAM - overlay on the left side of the frame in the EVF
exposure correction... like I said before---- EVF!!!
change the flash settings - you see all that in the EVF and you NEVER EVER have to take your eyes off that viewfinder.
AND NO, its not strainin. it really is nice calibrated and goes easy on your eyes.

and its not only the viewfinder.
16pix per second - burst rate
and the successor (Mark V) is even better ---> 24 still pix per second in continous AF!! it slows down after 150 pix....

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: No more inflammatory posting in this thread - please
12-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #178
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread temporarily closed. Bear with me please :)

... And we're back open for business. Thanks for your patience

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 03:50 PM.
12-29-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #179
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by credos4u Quote
small compact cameras can throw elbow long bursts with 16 pix a second or more
... i totally understand why you don't like those drawbacks rico.

I bought a Sony RX100 IV not so long ago... and looked a bit into the sony system. and i have to say:

The EVF on that thing is sooo NICE!!!
This is the bees knees... you look through that little viewfinder and there may be a lag but man you just dont see it. NEVER.
WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet ALWAYS.
Exposure correction up....... e voila: you see exactly how it will affect the picture you will take
IMMEDIATELY!!
and since the handling and button layout of this little thing is really well made, all things are clear and you dont have to take off your eyes from the viewfinder when you want to alter the cameras settings.
Everything you change,... you see it in that little viewfinder.
histogram - BAM- in your face... you see it as an overlay in the bottom right in the EVF
change mode from single to burst to burst "time priority" to exposure bracketing to white balance bracketing - BAM - overlay on the left side of the frame in the EVF
exposure correction... like I said before---- EVF!!!
change the flash settings - you see all that in the EVF and you NEVER EVER have to take your eyes off that viewfinder.
AND NO, its not strainin. it really is nice calibrated and goes easy on your eyes.

and its not only the viewfinder.
16pix per second - burst rate
and the successor (Mark V) is even better ---> 24 still pix per second in continous AF!! it slows down after 150 pix....
With respect, compact and mirrorless EVF is way off-topic when we're talking about a potential and expected / hoped-for replacement DSLR for the K-3II. If you do a search, you'll find we've had numerous discussions on these forums as to whether Pentax should or shouldn't enter the mirrorless market, and that's very much a separate subject. I also think that the performance of a small-sensor compact, however impressive (and I agree, the RX100 MkIV *is* impressive) is off-topic when discussing DSLRs. They're entirely different cameras for different purposes, with different strengths and weaknesses, aimed at different users. In a nutshell, different

Your points about buffer speed, memory options and video capability are interesting and valid, though

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2017 at 04:32 PM.
12-29-2017, 04:33 PM - 3 Likes   #180
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Rumors of a K3II replacement?

Fake news?

Is there really any difference?

Do I care?

I'd rather spend 10 hours listening to this.

Closed Thread