Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
I spoke to a Pentax rep today who said the 60-250 will be out in the next few weeks and street price is expected to be about £850.
I ran that £850 figure through a currency converter and at least as of today, that comes out to $1548.11US and $1646.96CAD for those of us on the west side of the pond.

If I do decide to get a fast telezoom sometime down the road, it would most likely be the Tamron 70-200/2.8, as it's half the price of the 60-250 and it'll work with my TC.

Heather
(who understands that this is just a hobby for her and doesn't want to have to take out a home equity loan to finance said hobby)

08-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I often wonder why there is so much hate for people that want FF. Is there something inherently wrong with that? I love my pentax cameras and would want a FF frame one.
08-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I ran that £850 figure through a currency converter and at least as of today, that comes out to $1548.11US and $1646.96CAD for those of us on the west side of the pond.
This is the problem with international prices - you forgot to subtract the 17.5% VAT from the price. Not only that, but even once you take into account tax, Pentax gear tends to be considerably more expensive in the UK than the US.

Besides, I understand the RRP of the 50-135 is about £830. Unless you want a 60-250 from launch day I wouldn't get stressed about the price...
08-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
I often wonder why there is so much hate for people that want FF. Is there something inherently wrong with that? I love my pentax cameras and would want a FF frame one.

I second this motion! I work with shallow depths of field, and full-frame cameras could restore my 50mm to its former glory!

08-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
There is no 'HATE',my friend! But there is just way too many ppl on various forums who presumably own just a Pentax W30 keep criticizing or blaming Pentax for not having a FF Dslr!!!

Pentax hasn't got any major FF compatible lens at the moment or any expensive FF lens owned by a lot of ppl,so you make no loss by buying a Canon or Nikon FF Dslr and their FF lens. You know what I mean? Such a simple solution!

It seems to me that a lot of ppl just want a Penatx FF Dslr for the price of K200, even then,some will say the photos taken at ISO 10000 don't look as sharp as the photos taken on a D3 at ISO 10001...
08-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I second this motion! I work with shallow depths of field, and full-frame cameras could restore my 50mm to its former glory!

Get a f1.4 lens to produce a shallow depth of field on a cropped sensor, anything faster than that,you will almost miss your focus point.
08-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Dan, I didn't mean that it was one or the other as in the FAJ series...I want the ring plus FF compatibility a la FA series.

My wording could have been more thorough

Let's get a list going from Pentax itself, where people will put down a deposit on a new camera.

Then we'll see how many are really serious enough to buy one.

Until then, it's all "I want, I'll buy, I'm getting one."

08-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #38
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Dan, I didn't mean that it was one or the other as in the FAJ series...I want the ring plus FF compatibility a la FA series.

My wording could have been more thorough

Let's get a list going from Pentax itself, where people will put down a deposit on a new camera.

Then we'll see how many are really serious enough to buy one.

Until then, it's all "I want, I'll buy, I'm getting one."
What's the IBAN for such a deposit?

Rui
08-31-2008, 04:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I would love movie mode on the k30d or k1d or what ever the next body is to be called. Imagine being able to use any lens ever made to fit a pentax body to make movies? with nice dof it'd be amazing. real cameras with that kind of quality are around £40,000!!!
Even if it didn't have sound but it would be nice if they added a decent mic for audio notes on photos and for movies etc I think it'd be a seller!

Whats wrong with manual focus?

Maybe movies at 640x480 and a small hd size if that'd be possible...I imagine it would hd uses around 5mb a second and with the buffer these days for raw it shud be fine they'd just need a dedicated chip to convert it to a video format.

Brilliant in my eyes!

Anyway I can't afford any new glass or bodies until people buy my artwork, so take a look I promise you'll like at least one image! Guaranteed!

View My Gallery
08-31-2008, 05:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I agree. I'd love a quality movie mode on my dslr and would use it often.
08-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm pretty sure Mike just meant "aperture ring" - to use on K and M bodies.
Okay, I suppose that can make some sort of sense. But to say that one is not interested at all in a new lens because it's not compatible with an at-least-20-year old camera is a bit extreme, IMHO.

I still believe no future lens will come with an aperture ring. Pentax's legendary backwards compatibility "old lenses work on new bodies", not the other way around.
08-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone in the market for a (semi - f4) decent telephoto lens which is hand-holdable, has anyone heard anything about other upcoming primes based on the long end?

About 200mm would be nice (I can't afford the 2.8!).

As for the pricing on the 60-250mm, I'm afraid that if it is listed it will be beyond my and many other's means, and I think many folks will go third party as more SDM/HSM lenses are released to take advantages that the K2__D series offer. While I realise it is a premier lens, I would expect the price to be competitive.

Just generally is there a limitation in building F3.2-3.5 tele lenses for us folks in the middle?
08-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

So, the 60-250 looks to be around $850 street? How would that suddenly make it beyond many folks' means? I mean, with the DA* zooms at $650 and $750, how is $850 a suprise? And the previous posters math using a straight exchange rate is way off. Look up prices on online U.K. photo shops, for Pentax lenses the number of GBP roughly matches the number of dollars on U.S. sites.
08-31-2008, 12:49 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Okay, I suppose that can make some sort of sense. But to say that one is not interested at all in a new lens because it's not compatible with an at-least-20-year old camera is a bit extreme, IMHO.

I still believe no future lens will come with an aperture ring. Pentax's legendary backwards compatibility "old lenses work on new bodies", not the other way around.
Well, I have 3 film bodies and one digital SLR. Granted I do take more pictures with the digital, but I did buy into Pentax so I could have one set of lenses. And the DAs don't create the full image circle.

I wonder...how much more/less expensive it is to put the ring on?
08-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, so I buy that the conversion rate is a little way off, and that in North America we get a pretty happy deal on pricing (believe me, as someone who comes from somewhere else where the prices are ridiculous (Read NZ) I appreciate this), so the prices probably won't be as bad as in say Europe or Australasia), and we will likely get a good deal.

Folks elsewhere won't. I also think it will take a while to reach $850.

My point was that you can now get decent glass from third party manufacturers with some of the things I upgraded to a K200D for, i.e. SDM at a competitive price (although to be fair the selection is pretty skinny after 200mm).

Weather sealing is another matter, and I would like to think 3rd party manufacturers have spotted the "nice to have" option provided by weather sealed lenses, given that the current camera lineup can take a bit of a dousing.

Personally I am after glass that I can travel with, hence my questions regarding upcoming middle of the road lenses that go with my ability level, and don't weigh a ton when out walking, but offer most of what the current pentax system can do.

Roll out those limited pancakes! (Any news on the 15mm? - is it a pancake afterall?).