Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Image quality of the Canon lens is debatable. It is very prone to flare. Sample to sample variations are large and many have given up on the lens after 3-4 bad samples.
Ok thanks, I didn't know. You wouldn't happen to have some links on it, do you ? (Not that I have disbelieve towards it).
At that price, it would seem unacceptable, with such high sample variation.

Didn't know you were considering going Nikon. The D700 or D300 luring ?

09-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Ok thanks, I didn't know. You wouldn't happen to have some links on it, do you ? (Not that I have disbelieve towards it).
At that price, it would seem unacceptable, with such high sample variation.

Didn't know you were considering going Nikon. The D700 or D300 luring ?

The Canon 400/4 DO has quite low contrast and generally not top notch in image quality. It is not even an "L" lens. In my opinion it is more of a statement product. My guess is that a potential Pentax 400/4 won't weight much more than the Canon and outperform it optically; and wastly cheaper.
I got the imformation about this lens reputation from various forums. Can't remember exact where. Here is a couple links that discuss the lens and its reputation:

Canon EF 400 F4.0 DO IS?? - Photo.net Nature Forum

Canon EF 300mm 2.8 & EF 500mm 4.5 vs. EF 400mm DO 4.0 - Photo.net Nature Forum

Switching to Nikon was a joke
I have no interest in any 12mp cameras. However, I do want a camera with more than 14,6mp....
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
If they charge more than a 1000.00 for the 60-250mm F4 they are living on another planet.
I know it takes awesome photo's, but no one in there right mind should pay that much for a telescoping F4 zoom lens, When you can get a F2.8 70-200 for 699.00.
I hear it will be out in a few weeks but Pentax will only hurt themselves charging that much.
The DA*60-250/4 is a DA* and sealed.... Of great use to many...
In fact there are already posts on forums of people NOT getting these 70-200/2.8 lenses because they are NOT sealed.....
As to the higher price would hurt?? We have a Tamron 18250 and a DA18-250....
Judging on "kit-lists"on various forums, there are more DA's of that lens than tamrons among us, even thought the Tamron is cheaper and was available earlier
09-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
The DA*60-250/4 is a DA* and sealed.... Of great use to many...
In fact there are already posts on forums of people NOT getting these 70-200/2.8 lenses because they are NOT sealed.....
As to the higher price would hurt?? We have a Tamron 18250 and a DA18-250....
Judging on "kit-lists"on various forums, there are more DA's of that lens than tamrons among us, even thought the Tamron is cheaper and was available earlier
I have to laugh when a feature that wasn't really available a couple of years ago suddenly changes everyone's perspective. We all got by without sealing in our lenses for decades, but now that it's out we all have to have sealed lenses and pay twice as much?

Sounds to me like marketing is winning over realism.

09-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tophorus Quote
I have to laugh when a feature that wasn't really available a couple of years ago suddenly changes everyone's perspective. We all got by without sealing in our lenses for decades, but now that it's out we all have to have sealed lenses and pay twice as much?

Just a few years ago we also made do with laptops with 8'' screens, portable CD players (no mp3/ipod,) 19'' CRT televisions, and... you name it. All still perfectly usable, but advancements have brought upgraded, enhanced and replacement products. It's been this way for 100,000+ years with us! It's just that the pace has picked up recently...

09-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

High end bodies have been sealed for ages... LX was and high end Canon/Nikon manual focus cameras have been as well.

It is only logical to seal the lens as well.
09-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #82
Veteran Member

That si why I missed many shots a couple of years ago. Sealing has been umber one on my wishlist for years and I dare say, I am not the only one....
09-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Shoot, my lens with a SDM in it better be sealed. That would be very costly to fix. And if you mean, people brought plastic bags (or trashbags) to help cover their lenses as getting by then you keep you plastic i'll keep my weather sealed