Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I don't feel the rush for a new body, the K20D is seriously working well for me atm, as for movies, If I wanted that I would buy a movie camera. I believe in one tool doing one job, and doing it well.
New primes, definitely up for that

08-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the Video option is a big waste, now days everyone's phone will do that. Or you can get a cheap P&S to do that, If I spend over a grand for a camera I expect it to take awesome photo's not movies. I have a 700$ movie camera I never used except to film everything I own for Insurance incase a hurricane hits our house. All I care to see is some more quality lenses.
08-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those looking at the Nikon D90, I saw a blog on it where a Nikonian was upset that it uses lossy RAW files to get faster processing.
08-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
My dealer talks about a new P-TTL ring flash. Has any of you heard about it?
no but if that's true id be happy as a clam.

08-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #20
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I think the Video option is a big waste, now days everyone's phone will do that. Or you can get a cheap P&S to do that, If I spend over a grand for a camera I expect it to take awesome photo's not movies. I have a 700$ movie camera I never used except to film everything I own for Insurance incase a hurricane hits our house. All I care to see is some more quality lenses.
If your phone can do easilly ISO 400 or even 800 with little noise and have the DOF of an APS-C sensor, the DR in the 9 stops range and do all of this at 1280x720 with any lens you choose and play it by a HDMI link on your HD TV then yes, you're right. The video in D90 is in the infancy period but in the future will be an exquisite feature to have IMHO.
What applies to pictures also applies to video: sensor size matters a lot.
To put it simple do what I do with LV: never use it if you don't need it.

Radu
08-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm interested in new bodies because I own a business and I want to be able to upgrade fast.

and thats that
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
Forum Member

I spoke to a Pentax rep today who said the 60-250 will be out in the next few weeks and street price is expected to be about £850.

08-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
Forum Member

From what I can see, the larger sensor on the DSLR makes the videos look quite good... beyond the videos that my compact camera and others with a smaller sensor is capable of. The high ISO is quite exciting for video as well.

The fact is, you get a high quality video recording option on a camera which could sell for the same price without the feature, it makes a bargain to someone who could see a use for the video. I have to say I'm quite tempted by the D90.
08-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Not interested in any lens that doesn't include an aperture ring.

exactly! Thank you.
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fast50 Quote
I spoke to a Pentax rep today who said the 60-250 will be out in the next few weeks and street price is expected to be about £850.

Arm and a leg, or just one and a half kidneys?
08-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Not interested in any lens that doesn't include an aperture ring.
I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this statement ? Do you mean you're only interested in "full-frame" compatible lenses ? I'd be very surprised if any future "FF" lens from Pentax (if such a thing is forthcoming) features an aperture ring (witness Nikon and Canon's "FF" offerings).
08-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this statement ? Do you mean you're only interested in "full-frame" compatible lenses ? I'd be very surprised if any future "FF" lens from Pentax (if such a thing is forthcoming) features an aperture ring (witness Nikon and Canon's "FF" offerings).

I'm pretty sure Mike just meant "aperture ring" - to use on K and M bodies.
08-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'm pretty sure Mike just meant "aperture ring" - to use on K and M bodies.
Yes...therefore also FF compatible
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Yes...therefore also FF compatible

Does this have an aperture ring? Didn't think so.

Does it work well on film cameras? Hell yes!
08-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When my dealer said a few nice primes, i think it would include something in the 70mm-85mm range,of course,there is the 55mm f1.4 thats already announced.

I personally think when Pentax bring out a few more good primes at f1.4-f2,60-250mm f4, probably a 300mm f2.8,also something like a 500mm f4 and a couple of teleconverters,they will have a quite complete and competitive system. A ring fash would be nice too since we don't get much support from third-party manufactures.

THEN Pentax comes out with Body that does 600fps HD movie with auto focus(Casio does that already,Samsung can do it better), and also has Built-in Filters from PL to Close-up to Infra...(Hoya might be a little reluctant to do it since it has another business to run,but you never know!)......

As for FF wannabes, I doubt any of you has so heavily invested in Pentax gears that you can't get out,since Pentax hasn't produced anything excessively expensive for a long long long time. Just go buy yourself a Nikon or Canon or even Sony.