Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
because GR people would pay whatever Ricoh charges if the DNA is still there.
I very much doubt that.

01-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Losing snap focus would be a terrible loss. It's such a great feature for digital cameras without a manual focusing ring.
01-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I very much doubt that.
I very much believe it.

What I question is how the GR cult would respond to a tiny xatneP printed on the back.
01-06-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #64
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I very much believe it.

What I question is how the GR cult would respond to a tiny xatneP printed on the back.
i would say they will show much better behaviour than most of us pentaxians did when there was RICOH printed on the 1st series of K-3 bodies....
this is one thing i couldnt care less about... as long as the K-mount lives and cool cameras arrive at the market.
I once surfed a bit on the pentax-maniac-train, but since i also use sony i feel free and am happy about every new camera with the right grip and handling . no matter whats printed on it.

01-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #65
Pentaxian

On DPR's Ricoh Talk Forum there are a few people who see Pentax as an enemy, and fear that Ricoh Imaging would abandon "the Ricoh way" for Pentax
01-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On DPR's Ricoh Talk Forum there are a few people who see Pentax as an enemy, and fear that Ricoh Imaging would abandon "the Ricoh way" for Pentax
Were that the case, wouldn’t it be Ricoh that had abandoned the Ricoh Way?
01-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #67
Pentaxian

One recent concern was about the "Pentax team" taking over camera design. It was triggered by the same rumor we're discussing on this thread: "apparently Ricoh will cease all camera production and the GR line will be moved over to the Pentax brand" (from the OP).

01-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It was triggered by the same rumor we're discussing on this thread
Ah, yes! The rumor that began with rumors traceable back to wishful thinking by forum fan boys. Give the source, a certain amount of paranoia would be perfectly acceptable. I for one would love to see a cult favorite like the GR continue on indefinitely. The GR has certainly earned its chops in the real world and deserves to live on as a logical extension of the concept.

Steve
01-06-2018, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #69
JPT
Pentaxian

One recent concern was about the "Pentax team" taking over camera design. It was triggered by the same rumor we're discussing on this thread: "apparently Ricoh will cease all camera production and the GR line will be moved over to the Pentax brand" (from the OP).
Actually, this concern among existing Ricoh users about former Pentax people taking over has been going on much longer than that. I can absolutely understand where it comes from. Most Pentax lines have continued, and full frame added, but look what has happened to the Ricoh line.

PX (waterproof compact) - Discontinued and the Ricoh name placed on the WG series instead.
CX (consumer zoom compact) - Discontinued, with no replacement.
GX (enthusiast compact, EVF option) - Discontinued. There nearest thing to a successor was the MX-1, but that did not have the same controls or EVF option, and it was branded Pentax, with a rather kitschy retro design
GXR - Discontinued
GR - Continued and developed
G800 (extra rugged camera) - Continued, but hardly developed

It's not so much the name that's on the cameras; it's more that so many cameras with former Ricoh DNA have gone. If you liked Ricoh's prior philosophy of quality compacts that offered a bit more of an understated, serious approach at the consumer end, and an extensive levels of control at the enthusiast end, it's mostly gone now. Looking at recent history, it's easy to imagine a scenario of former Pentax management focusing almost exclusively on K-mount, to the detriment of everything else. I'm not saying it's that simple, but Ricoh fans have more reason to be disappointed than Pentaxians.
01-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't you think Ricoh abandoned all or most of those cameras as a part of the industry wide flight from small, point and shoot style cameras? I realize some of them were a bit more than point and shoot but in general they seem to fit that trend. Those kinds of cameras do not seem to be being made by anybody anymore.
01-06-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #71
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Don't you think Ricoh abandoned all or most of those cameras as a part of the industry wide flight from small, point and shoot style cameras? I realize some of them were a bit more than point and shoot but in general they seem to fit that trend. Those kinds of cameras do not seem to be being made by anybody anymore.
I think so, but I'm not sure when Ricoh decided that because they did it in a round-about way. First, they integrated two of the compact cameras into to GXR system as lens units. The GX200 became the S10 24-72mm VC unit and the CX6 became the P10 28-300mm VC unit. So in the GXR you had an expensive but reasonably versatile system (compared to compact cameras) which has the Ricoh control scheme. Since they discontinued the GXR, the 28mm GR is all that's left.

I don't think there is much appetite for a return to cameras like the PX and CX lines, but the market seems strong for the more expensive enthusiast compacts. That's where the Ricoh brand belongs in my opinion, and they should have more than one 28mm camera.

I might provoke some eye-rolling with this, but the "real" Ricoh cameras always have a rather unique approach to image processing. The JPEG output is quite the opposite of the "punchy" look that most camera makers seem to go for. They also seem to really focus on the quality of the black and white output. Most of all, it's like they feel noise in images is not necessarily a bad thing as long as it looks like a natural grain and doesn't distract from the image. I don't have a current GR II, but from what I can see it retains these traits.

The proposed GRZ and GRE cameras that this person has started rumors about might be complete fiction - probably are. But if that's the case, I would say that he has good taste in the fictional cameras he makes up. I would buy the GRZ myself and I think the GRE would bring back the wow factor to the GR. I don't think it's impossible. I was truly astonished that they put an APS-C sensor in such a small body. I would love to be astonished again.
01-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #72
Pentaxian

What about Theta branding ?
Plus i don't see Sony bringing a new hi-tech sensor made by its semiconductor R&D for the benefit of a yet small selling volumes, but new competitor to its RX1...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-06-2018 at 11:42 PM.
01-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #73
Pentaxian

@JPT: yes, it's older than my recent example
I've seen people blaming the acquisition of Pentax for the disappearance of those Ricoh lines - it's easier to blame an "outsider" than to accept those products simply didn't work. AFAIK Ricoh made a loss in their camera division, before buying Pentax, and were going nowhere.
01-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I think there must be a solution within the company itself to merge the two in order to survive. May it be Pentax or Ricoh brand somebody from the higher ups decided it (including the board), if the rumor was true. Nevertheless we should support both since its the only camera company that exist that produces our beloved cameras. Though times....

BTW .. Still saving to buy the a Set of GXR and MX-1. both i like...
01-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Let's be clear: I don't believe in this GR-E rumour.

However, if Ricoh were to label Pentax the successor to the GR II and the next WG, I would interpret this move as a step before divesting the 'traditional', declining camera business: compact cameras and ILCs, as opposed to the 360° cameras (Theta) and other development such as cameras for autonomous cars which would keep the Ricoh label and be further developed by Ricoh.