Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

Full frame Pentax (Ricoh) GR-E with curved sensor?

Pentax Rumors released some intel about upcoming Pentax (Ricoh) GR-E, full frame GR compact body with FF sensor.

Here are the details: Ricoh/Pentax GR-E full frame curved sensor camera rumors | Pentax Rumors

(...) apparently Ricoh will cease all camera production and the GR line will be moved over to the Pentax brand:
  • 36MP curved sensor
  • To be announced in spring or early summer
  • Price: $1,800
  • 122.0 mm (W) × 64.7 mm (H) × 39.8 mm (D)
  • 28mm f/2.4 lens (non-retractable)
  • Customizable lens ring
  • ISO 51,200
  • New battery

01-03-2018, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right on!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax Rumours article mentions a discussion over at DPReview as its source, but I can't find that discussion. Does anyone have an active link for it?
01-03-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Adam, could you please elaborate?

The Pentax Rumors article is indeed referring to a DPR thread:
Is a full-frame curved-sensor 'GR-E' possible by mid-2018?: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
which is referring to another DPR thread which is deleted. So we can't get to the source.

And - ignoring the "cease production" blunder - I'm not sure about the Pentax GR and Pentax Theta...

01-03-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Whether or not it's actually going to happen, I think it's a good idea for them tk market a compact FF camera. The branding could go either way IMO, though in the long term Pentax would probably be better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would not count Theta as a camera IMO as such IMO.
Ricoh only has GR, GXR ashes and their industrial waterproof camera (forgot the name).
The 'modern' WG cams are as transparent as could be unfortunately.
01-03-2018, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter

Here is the cached content from DPR:

Ricoh will cease all camera production and it will be moved to the Pentax brand.
June of 2018 will see the release of the full frame GR-E (Extreme)
122.0 mm (W) × 64.7 mm (H) × 39.8 mm (D)
36 megapixel curved sensor
28mm f2.4 lens (non retractable)
Customizable lens ring
ISO 51200
new battery
35mm and 50mm crop mode
Hybrid auto focus
New manual focus system (no snap focus)
Film simulation filters
No video
External EVF
New wifi app
MSRP TBA (Rumored at $1800)

01-03-2018, 02:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be kind of interesting to have a modern camera... that doesn't have any, even basic, video features
01-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know why the original thread on DPR was closed? I saw it one day, and it was gone the next. Was it just a case of the discussion getting rowdy, or was there some reason to think it was a hoax?

This was the same guy who posted a similarly specific runout about the “GRZ”, and it also had some had some gossipy comments about Ricoh’s strategy.

As for the suggested specs, I think it is exactly the kind of approach Ricoh would take with the GR, but I’m a bit suspicious about the poster’s motivations.
01-03-2018, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I doubt there wil be any curved sensor in production for a camera released the first half of this year. And even less likely a curved FF sensor in a camera sold for USD 1800.
01-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I doubt there wil be any curved sensor in production for a camera released the first half of this year. And even less likely a curved FF sensor in a camera sold for USD 1800.
Oh it's in production, cose it's Sony one, they patented curved 36mpx sensor about year ago.

Last edited by i83N; 01-03-2018 at 03:35 AM.
01-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #12

I read the original post from DPR and was deleted after 2 or 3 days. It was posted by someone who also started a thread about a GRZ way back that has a zoom lens and that he got the information from a source in Japan. Some members had commented about the GRZ and now he was posting a upcoming GR-E.

Anyway, I hope Ricoh-Pentax comes out with the new GR as it is long overdue. Fuji is rumored to bring out the X80 this year.

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 06:23 PM ----------

I read the original post from DPR and was deleted after 2 or 3 days. It was posted by someone who also started a thread about a GRZ way back that has a zoom lens and that he got the information from a source in Japan. Some members had commented about the GRZ and now he was posting a upcoming GR-E.

Anyway, I hope Ricoh-Pentax comes out with the new GR as it is long overdue. Fuji is rumored to bring out the X80 this year.
01-03-2018, 03:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Two surprices for me:
FF sensor and Pentax name.
But probably better to wait for a new APS GR until a major upgrade can be done and launch a GR-E first.
The GR-E is said to be much thinner than the Sony RX1 and cost half.
Ricoh went from Pentax to Ricoh with the WG cameras, now back again?
I hope there will be a GR-III in a year or two.
01-03-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Oh it's in production, cose it's Sony one, they patented curved 36mpx sensor about year ago.
Sony showed their first curved sensor in 2014. But going from manufacuring prototypes at high cost in a lab to serie production at low cost takes time. If Sony produce a FF sensor like this it would appear in a Sony camera long before the sensor will be available for Ricoh. At first the production will most likely be low volume and only enough for Sonys own demands.

A Sony camera with curved FF sensor wil probably be sold for at least USD 3499 at introduction.
01-03-2018, 04:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Two surprices for me: FF sensor and Pentax name.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If Sony produce a FF sensor like this it would appear in a Sony camera long before the sensor will be available for Ricoh. At first the production will most likely be low volume and only enough for Sonys own demands.
Yes, I wouldn't give this rumour much credence. GR is one of the few Ricoh branded cameras that is well known in the photo world. Its doing good, no need to change it to Pentax. I think it was said before that Pentax will be the one for interchangeable lens cameras, while Ricoh will be the brand for the smaller cameras.
FF sensor in a GR would be nice, but curved FF sensor? Does any APSC or FF camera currently in production have this?? I really don't think Ricoh would be the first to have this tech in their camera. Yes, curved sensor needs a fixed lens, so a GR with curved sensor might make sense some day, but I doubt it would be in 2018.
And all of this for less than $2000??

I would be pleasantly surprised if we get a Pentax GR with FF curved sensor, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it. Don't get too excited, guys. I know how some of you love the GR series