QuoteOriginally posted by Val.Ou Quote
Including price ?
I think not!

Larry

05-25-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Val.Ou Quote
Including price ?
When time comes and they are the last of the Mohawks, yes of course.

Medium format cameras (6x9 folding cameras) used to be popular and cheap cameras in the '30s. Same for rangefinder cameras in the '50s.
05-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
When time comes and they are the last of the Mohawks, yes of course.
Are you sure Nikon and Canon will ride off into the optical viewfinder sunset? Aging "enthusiast" or "prosumer" photographers will argue over which 40 year old lens is sharper in nursing home cafeterias and their children will buy new DSLR bodies so they can honor the legacy glass they inherit. Even if the global market for DSLRs is only a couple of million units per year, that is enough to support three competitors, especially since no R&D investment is required and the factory tooling was amortized long ago. At some point, it will be an accepted fact that to take better photographs, it is necessary to see the pure optical image in a viewfinder, not some filtered and processed electronic facsimile.

The problem with the GR and other single focal length cameras is that there are very few opportunities to collect add-ons as a hobby. Cameras purchased to make a living have to be suitable for a variety of uses (or a variety of clients) and virtually no one has the time or the motivation to take a single focal length camera off the shelf and go looking for new images to take with the same field of view.
05-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #94

Original Poster
I would not hold fingers crossed for FF GR - III is likely to be aps-c.

06-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #95
KX5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Pentax mirrorless ILC, full frame or not.

Pentax is on track to become for SLRs was Leica has become for rangefinder cameras.
Mirrorless is future in many ways! To have a place on the market, they will be forced to follow Sony and Co!
06-02-2018, 02:40 AM   #96

Sounds very interesting... Still I think I might not wait. I'll buy k-1 end of summer if there is no hard facts =D
06-02-2018, 02:42 AM - 3 Likes   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KX5 Quote
Mirrorless is future in many ways!
it is not the future, it is the present, and it is not revolutionary at all. Yesterday I've seen a Sony A7III with a G master 24-70, the combo is about as big as a Pentax K1 and DFA24-70. K1 boast 36Mp, A7II 24Mp and higher FPS, inner guts data rate is about the same. K1 is more weather sealed. Both systems are about the same price.

06-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
Pentax Rumors released some intel about upcoming Pentax (Ricoh) GR-E, full frame GR compact body with FF sensor.

Here are the details: Ricoh/Pentax GR-E full frame curved sensor camera rumors | Pentax Rumors

(...) apparently Ricoh will cease all camera production and the GR line will be moved over to the Pentax brand:
  • 36MP curved sensor
  • To be announced in spring or early summer
  • Price: $1,800
  • 122.0 mm (W) × 64.7 mm (H) × 39.8 mm (D)
  • 28mm f/2.4 lens (non-retractable)
  • Customizable lens ring
  • ISO 51,200
  • New battery
Would this be the first curved sensor, or are there other manufacturers using this design? Does this mean Pentax is making its own sensors now? I expected it to have a new backlit Sony sensor. However it looks like it will have iso that rivals Sony.
06-07-2018, 02:15 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Are you sure Nikon and Canon will ride off into the optical viewfinder sunset? Aging "enthusiast" or "prosumer" photographers will argue over which 40 year old lens is sharper in nursing home cafeterias and their children will buy new DSLR bodies so they can honor the legacy glass they inherit. Even if the global market for DSLRs is only a couple of million units per year, that is enough to support three competitors, especially since no R&D investment is required and the factory tooling was amortized long ago. At some point, it will be an accepted fact that to take better photographs, it is necessary to see the pure optical image in a viewfinder, not some filtered and processed electronic facsimile.

The problem with the GR and other single focal length cameras is that there are very few opportunities to collect add-ons as a hobby. Cameras purchased to make a living have to be suitable for a variety of uses (or a variety of clients) and virtually no one has the time or the motivation to take a single focal length camera off the shelf and go looking for new images to take with the same field of view.
In terms of DSLRs not requiring R&D investment, I am not so sure.

For me, the advantage of mirrorless cameras is their potential size benefit. However, the Pentax MX film camera is as small as most of those. Were it technically possible to produce a DSLR of that size then I think you'd cut that primary advantage. However, to shrink a DSLR to MX size has many technical challenges that would require significant investment - including in components not normally manufactured by camera companies themselves, such as the LCD screen (which would need to be manufactured as thin as possible).
06-07-2018, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
the advantage of mirrorless cameras is their potential size benefit.
The thing about digital cameras is everyone wants a unicorn, built to their individual specs. To realize any size benefit from mirrorless cameras requires smaller lenses, which means a smaller sensor. M43 is the largest format where mirrorless has a clear advantage. Put equivalent lenses on a downsized APS-C DSLR like the SL-1 or K-S1 and an A77 and there is no size advantage when taking pictures. If building a smaller camera was such an advantage, it would be FF cameras facing extinction, not the true compacts with 1" and smaller sensors. Cameras without mirrors have been around longer than cameras with mirrors, electronic viewfinders have been around since the fifties on video cameras. No matter where you turn, photographic equipment is mature technology.

Image copied from Wikipedia. By Fletcher6 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:RCA Color Broadcast Camera TK-41C - 2.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
06-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #101
Pentaxian

.... and their children will buy new DSLR bodies so they can honor the legacy glass they inherit.
I'm not so sure of that. A lot of FD "glass" was orphaned when Canon switched to EF; I still have my mother's old kit, but it just sits in the closet, and it is probably neither more poorly cared for nor better cared for than an average FD kit. If Canon orphans consumer level EF and EF-S lenses, that would be a lot of lenses - but a small amount spread over many many families, so it may effectively be abandoned.
06-07-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If Canon orphans consumer level EF and EF-S lenses, that would be a lot of lenses - but a small amount spread over many many families, so it may effectively be abandoned.
My vision of the future is no more accurate than anyone else; if there is another quantum leap like from film to digital and camera manufacturers decide that new lens mounts are the way to go, you are right there will be a lot of orphaned glass. Although it only took a $7 adapter to utilize a half dozen FD lenses I was gifted on my son's T3i and 60D, after collecting dust (on the outside) for twenty years. And my son took much better photographs with these lenses than the original owner.
06-08-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

The thing about digital cameras is everyone wants a unicorn, built to their individual specs. To realize any size benefit from mirrorless cameras requires smaller lenses, which means a smaller sensor. M43 is the largest format where mirrorless has a clear advantage. Put equivalent lenses on a downsized APS-C DSLR like the SL-1 or K-S1 and an A77 and there is no size advantage when taking pictures. If building a smaller camera was such an advantage, it would be FF cameras facing extinction, not the true compacts with 1" and smaller sensors. Cameras without mirrors have been around longer than cameras with mirrors, electronic viewfinders have been around since the fifties on video cameras. No matter where you turn, photographic equipment is mature technology.
Sure, the sensor impacts the size of the lens but it doesn't mean that all the potential size benefit of a mirrorless camera is negated in all circumstances. The Pentax 43mm, if natively mountable on a mirrorless camera, would result in a more compact kit than when mounted on a K-1. For some lens-body combinations the body is the bigger partner, and shrinking it does make a difference. Mirrorless undoubtably has the potential to be smaller over a conventional DSLR. However, sure, some lens types can't be miniaturised effectively - tele lenses spring to mind. But even in these cases most mirrorless cameras will be lighter and have less volume than an equivalent DSLR. Ergonomics and balance is another issue of course!

I also think that depth is a big part of perceived size. The shorter registration distance allows for a mirrorless camera to be thinner, and I think this matters to perceptions of size, even if overall volume is similar.
06-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #104
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by malcolmjdavis Quote
Would this be the first curved sensor, or are there other manufacturers using this design? Does this mean Pentax is making its own sensors now? I expected it to have a new backlit Sony sensor. However it looks like it will have iso that rivals Sony.
This camera will never be. What are you talking about?
06-18-2018, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #105
Veteran Member

Next Ricoh GR is not fullframe.
But more than an pimped ll
Best regards