Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #106
Veteran Member

I thought this thread was dead or locked ...

06-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Next Ricoh GR is not fullframe.
But more than an pimped ll
Best regards
There you have it folks !
06-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Best regards
BTW nice review of the D FA* 50?
06-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
BTW nice review of the D FA* 50?
LOL @ BROO!

06-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #110
ogl
Banned

Best regards
when?
06-18-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #111
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a Canon point and shoot film camera that had a lens with two focal lengths, but not a zoom. I think it was 35mm and 70mm. I don’t suppose it was the greatest camera in terms of image quality, but it was a versatile enough travel companion for a student.

I’ve never seen a digital camera with such a design. I wonder if it would have any advantage, in terms of keeping the lens compact or sharpness compared to a zoom. I think a camera that did 28mm and 40mm (equivalent FOV) would keep a lot of people happy.

I’m just thinking aloud, and have no idea if it’s feasible, but I’d be very interested in a GR like this if they made it.
06-18-2018, 08:28 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
LOL @ BROO!
I don't think you understand do you?

06-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Best regards
Zoom?
06-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #114
wrbrim

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I used to have a Canon point and shoot film camera that had a lens with two focal lengths, but not a zoom. I think it was 35mm and 70mm. I don’t suppose it was the greatest camera in terms of image quality, but it was a versatile enough travel companion for a student.

I’ve never seen a digital camera with such a design. I wonder if it would have any advantage, in terms of keeping the lens compact or sharpness compared to a zoom. I think a camera that did 28mm and 40mm (equivalent FOV) would keep a lot of people happy.

I’m just thinking aloud, and have no idea if it’s feasible, but I’d be very interested in a GR like this if they made it.
It appears to me the Xiaomi Mi A1 camera(s) work in this way - one is wide and the other is tele. You can select which one is the primary and presumably the other one is used for the out-of-focus, enhanced resolution/saturation etc effects.
06-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #115
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wrbrim Quote
It appears to me the Xiaomi Mi A1 camera(s) work in this way - one is wide and the other is tele. You can select which one is the primary and presumably the other one is used for the out-of-focus, enhanced resolution/saturation etc effects.
Any many other phones nowadays, including iPhones and Samsungs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I‘m looking for a ML FF camera this year. The lenses I‘d mount will be a Contax-G set and Takumars. If it will be a Ricoh or Pentax (with the same features like the K1), ... )
06-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #117
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wrbrim Quote
This isn't what I meant. I mean one lens that extends like a zoom to one of two focal lengths. That's what the Canon I was talking about did. It was called Canon Sure Shot Telemax and I'm not saying it was a great camera. I'm just saying it was versatile enough for a travel camera and wondering if there is any advantage in size or sharpness in this approach compared to a zoom. If the sharpness or size/aperture could be better than a zoom and as good as the GR's prime lens, there might be a point. Otherwise, I'll concede there's no point at all and a zoom would be better.

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 11:35 PM ----------

This image is a survey Ricoh gave attendees to the GR 10th anniversary event in 2015. It's titled "Imagine a GR!"

The points they are asking are (top to bottom).

- Body size
- Sensor size
- Focal length (I think the rightmost option is "Dual focal length", hence my thoughts above)
- Lens aperture
- Megapixels
- Macro ability
- Image stabilisation type
- Toughness
- Viewfinder type
- LCD monitor

This is a long time ago now, but it does show some of the variables Ricoh has been considering for the GR. There have been some clues that the new GR might not be a straight follow on from the GR II, including Asahi Man's comment above and Takashi Arai's comment that it might be called something other than GR III. I'm quite excited to find out.
06-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Val.Ou Quote
Including price ?
...j'espère que non!
06-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Dual (and triple) focal lenses are typical of Leica M.
They did this a number of times back then.
06-20-2018, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Veteran Member

So it'll obviously be a compact pocket sized medium format camera!