Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
What happens if someone pulls the plug.....
Do. Not. Ask.

01-16-2018, 02:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I think this is really exciting news. They seem to have finally understood the importance of marketing especially on social media.

I have the feeling that Ricoh will actually get out of the camera business. But not as a company but with only their brand name and thereby push the Pentax brand. Theta will probably be a brand/ecosystem on its own but how about a Pentax GR? Recent GR rumors (questionable source, I know) have suggested this might actually happen. From a business standpoint it would make sense to not sell cameras under two different brands and the GR would be a perfect addition to the Pentax lineup.

Last edited by alpheios; 01-16-2018 at 02:48 AM.
01-16-2018, 02:46 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Pentax GR? Recent GR rumors (questionable source, I know) have suggested this might actually happen. From a business standpoint it would make sense to not sell cameras under two different brands.
Oddly enough the Ricoh GR has a more unblemished record than the Pentax brand (or it seems so to me). I'm not sure that the baggage that goes with the Pentax name would do the GR any favours. By no means an expert or informed opinion, just a feeling.
01-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
What happens if someone pulls the plug.....
To even think such things - you are braver than I!

01-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
These accounts have always been Pentax and Ricoh accounts, with the majority of posts about Pentax. This is simply a more accurate name for these channels. But you can read in it whatever you want of course.
That is the more interesting aspect to this news... reading the comments on it -- PR folks are pretty negative on it.. PF folks mostly cautiously optimistic.

I'll add my own comments... I think this is some kind of a reboot of their social media platform as they begin to prep launching D-FAs and bringing that system to a more agreeable level. How far it goes we don't know.. but I give them points for at least trying.
01-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the Slalom? World Cup there is a lot of advertising for Ricoh. I do not see much advertising for Pentax anywhere, many people over 40 probably recognize "Pentax", but people under 40?
But I think Richo is a more famous name, so why not use "Richo" for all, Theta, GR and K series.
01-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
At the Slalom? World Cup there is a lot of advertising for Ricoh. I do not see much advertising for Pentax anywhere, many people over 40 probably recognize "Pentax", but people under 40?
But I think Richo is a more famous name, so why not use "Richo" for all, Theta, GR and K series.
This is because of the famous Jay Ricoh.

01-17-2018, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #38
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So far there has been more content on the Twitter and Facebook. There is an account of the development of the cross-tilt monitor, and a silly collage of the KP in front of the old Pentax HQ building.

It's interesting that none of the Japanese blogs or rumors sites I look at have put a negative spin on this. Most of the user comments seem to be happy that the Pentax name has returned to the two accounts.
01-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, "Pentax by Ricoh Imaging" is a perfect name - given the current ownership.
Ricoh Pentax has a nice ring to it as well, like Cosina Voigtlander. Obviously they're not official brand names when put together, but good enough for colloquial use.
01-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
collage of the KP in front of the old Pentax HQ building
can't help but feel like this is a positive sign of Ricoh feeling value in the Pentax brand and a decision to promote Pentax as Pentax. All in all, seems like a good thing. The collage should elicit smiles at several levels.