Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2018, 10:06 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
YY/MM/DD, as Europeans do
Europeans: DD/MM/YY (or(YYYY)
as, I believe, the majority of the world does. It is more logical, in western culture writing goes from left to right and you start off writing a date from Day to Month to Year in other words from small to large.

Writing Month to Day to Year means one has to read from middle to left to far right if the aim is to start off from smallest to largest entity which usually is the accepted convention for pretty well everything.

Think of increase - become or make greater in size, amount, or degree. In this sense you could argue to go from seconds to minutes to hours to days to month to Year and so on.

Let the heated arguments begin.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-28-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
03-01-2018, 12:25 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
03/02/18 - All Will Be Revealed.
Oh yes - I forgot about American illogic

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 12:27 AM ----------

Do Japanese write dates YY/MM/DD, as Europeans do, or MM/DD/YY, as Americans do??
0r DD/MM/YY as we Brits do*

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 12:32 AM ----------

Come to think of it, the only known source of the teaser is rumoured to be in Germany, I believe?

*That's why we have to leave the EU, btw

Last edited by ffking; 03-01-2018 at 01:07 AM.
03-01-2018, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

Uhh... it seems Pentax switched from dealing with scorpion mustaches to the entertainment industry:
"At the Ricoh Imaging booth, there were two new Lesbian exhibits, which are reference exhibits."

The result of asking Google to translate this:
???????????CP+??????HD PENTAX-D FA?50mmF1.4 SDM AW????????&??????????? - ???? Watch
03-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NOBODY other than the USA writes dates as MM/DD/YYYY because it Makes. No. Sense. At all.
Parts of Asia (and maybe Europe?) use YYYY/MM/DD
Most of the English speaking world use DD/MM/YYYY

03-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
(and maybe Europe?) use YYYY/MM/DD
I don't know of anywhere in Europe where the (YY)YY/MM/DD format is being used. Only DD/MM/YY(YY)

In accounting anything else creates a huge headache.

While we are at it;
Another huge nonsense is the imperial weights and measurement system. Consider this, there are only three countries not using the metric system, they are: Myanmar Liberia and the U.S.A. But even they get horribly undone working with it in science. In medicine it won't work and past a 64th of an inch you run into a brick wall. Solution ? Change to metric aka a thousands of an inch. Just have a look at your micrometer if you have one.

We should go back to topic now.
03-01-2018, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #81
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uhh... it seems Pentax switched from dealing with scorpion mustaches to the entertainment industry:
"At the Ricoh Imaging booth, there were two new Lesbian exhibits, which are reference exhibits."

The result of asking Google to translate this:
???????????CP+??????HD PENTAX-D FA?50mmF1.4 SDM AW????????&??????????? - ???? Watch
For once Google is right! The DC Watch writer wrote レズ (les - short for lesbian) instead of レンズ (lens). It's funny, but it's a funny mistake in Japanese too.
03-01-2018, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
there are only three countries not using the metric system, they are: Myanmar Liberia and the U.S.A.
When I was in highschool there was a huge announcement that we would be the generation that transitioned from imperial to metric. We would all be taught both systems and required to be proficient in both. Classes after us would gradually move to metric. In fact some speed limit signs started to be converted to dual imperial / metric.

That was 40 years ago and I'm still waiting.......................... And I have not seen a speed limit sign with kilometers on it for over 30 years.

My guess is that the company making the new signs did not pay off the right politicians so they canned the whole project.

03-01-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know of anywhere in Europe where the (YY)YY/MM/DD format is being used. Only DD/MM/YY(YY)

We should go back to topic now.
No other format than YYYY/MM/DD works as easily if you need to order sequentially by date, using a computer-based record system.

We really should go back on topic, soon.
03-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No other format than YYYY/MM/DD works as easily if you need to order sequentially by date, using a computer-based record system.

Well, it has filled most of the time until 03/02/18 arrives in Japan, which is the only place that matters in this discussion.

---------- Post added 03-01-18 at 12:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That was 40 years ago and I'm still waiting.......................... And I have not seen a speed limit sign with kilometers on it for over 30 years.
I see them every year .... when we make our annual migration to Pt Pelee NP, Ontario. We arrive Friday night, so I'm frantically trying to translate between numbers on the signs and the lighted dial in front of me in the dark.
03-01-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

In a spreadsheet, “date formats display date and time serial numbers as date values. Date formats that begin with an asterisk (*) respond to changes in regional time settings that are specified for the operating system. Formats without an asterisk are not affected by operating system settings.”*

Consequently, date display values are sortable in date sequence regardless of display value format. The problem arises in file naming protocols, wherein the format YYYY/MM/DD - often segregated by dot (.) separators - is the only sortable alphanumeric format.

We will now return you to your originally scheduled programming.

* Microsoft Excel dialog

Last edited by monochrome; 03-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
03-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hello, Sweden here yyyy-mm-dd

In the digital age nothing else makes sense. File sorting anyone? And its iso.
03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #87
Veteran Member

YYYY/MM/DD is good for naming the folders.
DD/MM/YYYY is convention in India, and I grew with that pattern. Currently I live in US where the convention is MM/DD/YYYY. It took a while to get adjusted to US pattern. MM/DD/YYYY seems random
This is why software gets "Localized"
03-01-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
YYYY/MM/DD is good for naming the folders.
DD/MM/YYYY is convention in India, and I grew with that pattern. Currently I live in US where the convention is MM/DD/YYYY. It took a while to get adjusted to US pattern. MM/DD/YYYY seems random.
Not at all. If someone asks for today's date, the answer would be "March 1st", and that is how we write it out; "03/01" is the easiest way to write it out, and when the year is needed, it is tacked on the end. In the meantime, according to my Q-7, it will be 8 am on 03/02/2018 in Tokyo in a few minutes.
03-01-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not at all. If someone asks for today's date, the answer would be "March 1st", and that is how we write it out; "03/01" is the easiest way to write it out, and when the year is needed, it is tacked on the end. In the meantime, according to my Q-7, it will be 8 am on 03/02/2018 in Tokyo in a few minutes.
Corrct, for the USA. In the rest of the world, the correct form is 1st March, assuming you're working to the Gregorian calendar.
03-01-2018, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When I was in highschool there was a huge announcement that we would be the generation that transitioned from imperial to metric. We would all be taught both systems and required to be proficient in both. Classes after us would gradually move to metric. In fact some speed limit signs started to be converted to dual imperial / metric.

My guess is that the company making the new signs did not pay off the right politicians so they canned the whole project.

I remember watching a TV talk show when I was a kid where an old lady had written a letter to the host complaining about the introduction of the metric system. She wrote, and I quote, "Why couldn't they have waited until all the old people died?"