Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,536
[Edit - see below] The 645D was released based on K-7 technology, then shortly thereafter the K-5 (in many ways a K-7 with a new sensor), using much of the same, new tech. The 645Z was announced shortly after the K-3 was released, using much of the same tech.

Could a K-1 replacement be released, then shortly thereafter an APSc flagship using much of the same, new tech.*


* Some would argue the tech was developed for the APSc flagship and production processes were tested in the lower volume, larger format bodies. Similar arguments could be made for the K-01 tech, which was inside the K-30 / K-50.


Last edited by monochrome; 01-27-2018 at 07:07 AM.
01-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #137
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 515
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The 645D was released, then shortly thereafter the K-5, using much of the same, new tech. The 645Z was introduced then shortly thereafter the K-3, using much of the same, new tech.

Could a K-1 replacement be released, then shortly thereafter an APSc flagship using much of the same, new tech.*


* Some would argue the tech was developed for the APSc flagship and production processes were tested in the lower volume, larger format bodies. Similar arguments could be made for the K-01 tech, which was inside the K-30 / K-50.


But isnt it suppose to go apsc, MF, FF? so MF is next? Besides each system is lacking in “new” glass


01-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
But isnt it suppose to go apsc, MF, FF? so MF is next? Besides each system is lacking in “new” glass
K-1 was pushed back an entire year because pre-release demand for 645z was 2x the entire initial planned production run! FF didn’t exist the last time a fully new flagship APSc was released.

What’s the inventory of APSc, 645 and FF lenses at Ricoh Imaging Corp, Ltd.? Tell me that and I’ll tell you when they’ll start releasing new lenses, especially 645.

What’s the availability schedule for 25,000 100Mp 645 crop sensors, 100,000 42Mp FF sensors and 350,000 ??Mp APSc sensors? Tell me that and I’ll tell you what bodies are coming when.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-26-2018 at 08:40 PM.
01-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #139
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 515
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-1 was pushed back an entire year because pre-release demand for 645z was 2x the entire initial planned production run! FF didn’t exist the last time a fully new flagship APSc was released.

What’s the inventory of APSc, 645 and FF lenses at Ricoh Imaging Corp, Ltd.? Tell me that and I’ll tell you when they’ll start releasing new lenses, especially 645.

What’s the availability schedule for 25,000 100Mp 645 crop sensors, 100,000 42Mp FF sensors and 350,000 ??Mp APSc sensors? Tell me that and I’ll tell you what bodies are coming when.


I wasnt being serious in my last post. There is no order to this madness. although it would be nice to have some updated lenses with weather sealing and quieter focusing for lenses such as the 645 fa 45-85, current selection is more then adequate, especially with the character they produce.




01-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I wasnt being serious in my last post. There is no order to this madness. although it would be nice to have some updated lenses with weather sealing and quieter focusing for lenses such as the 645 fa 45-85, current selection is more then adequate, especially with the character they produce.
I think components like the AF sensor carry over all three formats. I’m convinced the business rationale for 645D was partly a function of FA645 lens inventory bought from Hoya by Ricoh and still in inventory at the time 645D was released. How many are still in inventory? FA Limiteds are in inventory and there’s no cost to Ricoh in the current production batch but components and assembly - maybe not even glass blanks.
01-26-2018, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #141
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 210
I'd like to see a K-1 Mark II as soon as possible, because that means the original K-1 will go down in price, and I can get one!
01-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #142
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California
Posts: 515
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think components like the AF sensor carry over all three formats. I’m convinced the business rationale for 645D was partly a function of FA645 lens inventory bought from Hoya by Ricoh and still in inventory at the time 645D was released. How many are still in inventory? FA Limiteds are in inventory and there’s no cost to Ricoh in the current production batch but components and assembly - maybe not even glass blanks.


That is a good question.


01-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #143
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,891
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The 645D was released, then shortly thereafter the K-5, using much of the same, new tech. The 645Z was introduced then shortly thereafter the K-3, using much of the same, new tech.
645D was based on tech developed for K7, which was released a year before 645D.
K5 where mostly a K7 with a new sensor.

K3 was released 6 month before 645Z.


Last edited by Fogel70; 01-26-2018 at 10:24 PM.
01-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #144
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,373
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
no the KP was always touted by Ricoh as a different camera, a side grade if you like, look at teh specs, how can you call the KP upgrade to K-3 line, it only has some new tech which will most likely appear in the new K-3/3II upgrade
I suppose I wasn't obvious enough with the and the 'exit stage left' remark..
01-26-2018, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,553
Hmmm...The things that might make me get a MkII version?

Reinforced flash housing?
Better video 1080p/60?
USB-C or USB 3.1?
Use of faster SD cards?

Honestly, I love my K1 and can't really think of something ground breaking.
If there is going to be a MKII, I'll bet it will be more "under the cover" upgrades than something really different.
The K1 is such a complete camera.
Makes me wonder what could be better?
01-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,444
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
obvious enough with the and the 'exit stage left' remark..
not to worry, as I mentioned we always need another thread like this when the others get stale
01-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 3,124
As I mentioned somewhere earlier (and I.m more convinced of now) the reason I find this convincing is that it's sufficiently counter-intuitive not to be arrived at by normal logic, and yet people like Tony Northrup (who must have industry contacts) were predicting it in his predictions for 2018. All uninformed logic would have said that a 645Z or K-3ii replacement was more likely -which doesn't mean that they won't happen, but it's not what he was majoring on. There must have been a reason for that.
01-27-2018, 01:35 AM   #148
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,677
People like Tony Northrup probably just assumed that since Nikon made the D850, Pentax could do something similar.
01-27-2018, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #149
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 9,526
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
People like Tony Northrup probably just assumed that since Nikon made the D850, Pentax could do something similar.
If Pentax does release something competitive to the D850 (and I'm pretty confident it could, albeit trailing Nikon's lead in some areas), we'll have to expect pricing in accordance with that kind of specification and capabilities.

Stating the obvious, but the K-1's trump card - aside from excellent image quality - has always been its value proposition. Any criticisms of the feature set or performance have to be considered in context with the price...
01-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #150
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 10,677
Yeah; but I was thinking more generally, about going to a 42MP sensor and performance tweaks. The point is, I wouldn't take Tony N.'s prediction as a confirmation of any kind.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
announced, apsc, body, camera, cant, ff, glass, ii, information, k-1, k-1 mark, k-3, k1, k3, kp, line, mark, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax to sony, people, photography, photos, resolution, rumor, sensor, stage, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K3 ii vs Canon 5D mark ii mogge Welcomes and Introductions 49 03-27-2016 02:39 AM
两部K-r,月内新机,全部出现反光板乱跳问题! anna Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 09-27-2011 11:35 AM
My God! 'Independent Lens'-- Mark Hogencamp Ira Photographic Technique 27 05-06-2011 08:32 AM
a discussion on god... god i was bored.. Gooshin General Talk 9 02-11-2010 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top